Pronunciation of Jerez

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pob

Re: Pronunciation of Jerez

I've always heard it was pronounced ˈʃɛri :wink:

xpensive

SectorOne wrote:reez? surely rez like in "res"olution is a little bit better if you are gonna go with Jerez.
You mean like Michael Andretti says "Nasa-ret"?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

SectorOne

xpensive wrote:
SectorOne wrote:reez? surely rez like in "res"olution is a little bit better if you are gonna go with Jerez.
You mean like Michael Andretti says "Nasa-ret"?
If we disregard the fact the town is called Nazareth then yes i would say so.
i.e. not saying the e as if you were saying the letter E but instead a shorter tone or what you call it.

elementary is another word, and not ego for example.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive

Let's give it another try then; "Jee-res"?

Pierce89

MOWOG wrote:. Except to say it is 8 degrees outside my door right now and I think I would rather be in Jerez! [-o<
Believe it or not, I've been dealing with same temps down in the Deep South. Alabamians have had the opportunity to try 7 degrees on for size.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SectorOne

xpensive wrote:Let's give it another try then; "Jee-res"?
I´m fairly sure it´s Jerez, two short e´s. I think that goes for in and out of Spain.
This is all if i´m understanding your double e as the same e you say in ego for example.

If you were Swedish i could probably explain this better. I´m not so good with technical terms let alone the terms in english.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SoCalWJS

With my SoCal background, I go with the Mexican pronunciation: around here it would be "Her-eZ". (actually kind of like hair - ez)

I guess it would be dependent on what the regional dialect is around Jerez?

FoxHound

Great...sorted! :D

Can we also dispel any tendencies from some British people who insist on saying "Barthalona" instead of "Barzelona"??
JET set

xpensive

SectorOne wrote:
xpensive wrote:Let's give it another try then; "Jee-res"?
I´m fairly sure it´s Jerez, two short e´s. I think that goes for in and out of Spain.
This is all if i´m understanding your double e as the same e you say in ego for example.

If you were Swedish i could probably explain this better. I´m not so good with technical terms let alone the terms in english.
Vad ska det betyda då, att svenskar har lättare att förstå saker och ting rent generellt?

Det kan ju iofs ha en poäng.

SectorOne

Ja det blir lättare för båda tror jag eftersom vi kan svenska och jag kan säga ord som förslag angående E:et.

t.ex. Jeer-ez, säger du Jeer med samma betoning som bokstaven E i ordet resa? Eller rester?

Så Jerez har samma betoning på E som om du skuller säga rester. Jerez, istället för t.ex. ett E som "genom" eller liknande.
Svensk skev översättning kanske blir Jeress typ.

Edit: sorry, quick swedish moment here guys, will remove when done.

mx_tifoso

Native Spanish speakers giving perfect instruction yet there are challenges... incredible! :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso

FoxHound wrote:Great...sorted! :D

Can we also dispel any tendencies from some British people who insist on saying "Barthalona" instead of "Barzelona"??
Barthelona would be Castilian and barçalona would be based on the Catalan pronunciation....
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive

SectorOne wrote:Ja det blir lättare för båda tror jag eftersom vi kan svenska och jag kan säga ord som förslag angående E:et.

t.ex. Jeer-ez, säger du Jeer med samma betoning som bokstaven E i ordet resa? Eller rester?

Så Jerez har samma betoning på E som om du skuller säga rester. Jerez, istället för t.ex. ett E som "genom" eller liknande.
Svensk skev översättning kanske blir Jeress typ.

Edit: sorry, quick swedish moment here guys, will remove when done.
Vafan, jag har altid uttalat Jerez som Sherry, "Shäres", med betoning på slutet, hur fel har det varit då?

Anyways, swedish lesson is done, thanks Sector.

SectorOne

:D no probs.

bhall

mx_tifoso wrote:Native Spanish speakers giving perfect instruction yet there are challenges... incredible! :)
You must be new to F1T. :wink: