Pronunciation of Jerez

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Pronunciation of Jerez

Wtf, If you ask ten swedes from north to south how to pronounce "Stockholm", I promise you ten different answers.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

SectorOne

Yep, especially the south ;) Semi-Danish down there :D
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive

I'm from the very north where we pronounce the "S" very thick, almost like "Sch", on Åland they don't bother with the S at all.

Point being that I can only begin to imagine the differentiations on "Jerez" from spanish languaged people around the globe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwV8vS23Csc

Miguel

xpensive wrote:Wtf, If you ask ten swedes from north to south how to pronounce "Stockholm", I promise you ten different answers.
Is there an official language accademy for Swedish? Honest question there. I'm aware of academies for Spanish, French and German. I know there isn't one for English, and that the Oxford English Dictionary is the closest thing to one. Apparently there is, according to this wiki page.

Before this, I would have imagined that languages that have a regulator would see less variation in their pronunciation. I'd also imagine countries that have seen less territorial change in the last century (1st and 2nd WW, Alsace and Lorraine,...) would have less variation, but the UK alone throws away this idea. Also, Spain has a reasonable accent variety, but that may be somewhat caused by border tensions as well as second languages (Galician, Basque, Catalan,...).

I would have also imagined that languages that make unequivocal projections from written language to spoken language would have a slightly smaller variation in pronunciation than, say, English.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

xpensive

Unlike countries like the Finland and Norway, which are both bilingual, and US that has no national lingo whatsoever, Sweden is still officially uni-lingual with a number of officially recognized minority languages, serbo-croatian and yiddish among them.

The swedish words and spelling is regulated by the swedish academy, which every year accepts new words like "googling".

But the pronunciation from north to south is free for interpretation, where Zlatan Ibrahimovic has his own.

CMSMJ1

There is no one way to pronounce anything - I'm from the north of England and live now in Yorkshire...

They talk very funny round these parts...I can tell thee..

If you wanted to know how to pronounce door, or bath, or uncle - the breadth of difference is impressive.

Interesting thread this one, tha knos.

Edit to add - it is nice that there is a bit of pesronal talk on here sometimes..it can get very aggronerd and stressgeeky so it is good that there is a bit of normal human banter in the place. \:D/
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

xpensive

I remember when I was on business in Hobart, Tasmania, some years back with a New Zealander as the company's local representative, swear to god I was not certain they spoke any form of english at all. Almost as lost as when being in Newcastle.