2014 Car reveal dates

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

2014 Car reveal dates

as far as i've concluded from various news articles, should be as following:

Mclaren : 24th of January
Ferrari : 25th of January
Sauber : 26th of January
Toro Rosso : 27th of January
Caterham : 28th of January
Mercedes : 28th of January
RedBull : 28th of January
Williams : 28th of January
Marussia : unconfirmed
Force India : unconfirmed
Lotus : 19th of February
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: 2014 Car reveal dates

Is there a gentleman's agreement that teams will try and avoid launching on the same day as the others?

I can't see the benefit of having a launch early... is the car 'hot to trott' at these launches or is it really a shell of a car for publicity whilst real development work continues in earnest right up to the first test.

To me the first day of the test is surely the ultimate deadline.

Gridlock

5 days... =D>

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

JimClarkFan wrote:Is there a gentleman's agreement that teams will try and avoid launching on the same day as the others?

I can't see the benefit of having a launch early... is the car 'hot to trott' at these launches or is it really a shell of a car for publicity whilst real development work continues in earnest right up to the first test.

i'm sure the teams have a chat amongst them about their release dates, and will plan to avoid having the same release
dates. Obviously teams are waiting as long as possibile to release their 'cars' just before the actual test dates. The 28th is the official Jerez test day, so it's an automatic reveal really.

Shouldn't take too much from the press releases to be honest, like said, it'll at best be a 'close representation' of the actual car that'll be run in Melbourne when the season starts. Things like pullrod, pushrod, type of nose, general body lines are what you can get to see, but frankly, that's about it. the cars change sufficiently from the Jerez test through the Bahrain tests all the way to the melbourne race that there'll be quite a significant difference, even though that's more in the development area rather then different concepts.

nifty inventions however probably will be saved for the ultimate test or actual first race weekend.
all elements of the car will be tested in real life and compared to simulation data. let's take the supposed 'ingenious' rear suspension Mclaren is going to use for their 2014 contender [atleast, according to rumours]. They'll be anxious to test it,
but they'll be hesitant to show the public the 'device', because it might become copied [offcourse depending on the overall practicability].

Press release cars are a very close representation of the actual car, and that's it. Livery aswell, even though the livery is subject to change aswell [williams in past years].
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

Manoah2u wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Is there a gentleman's agreement that teams will try and avoid launching on the same day as the others?

i'm sure the teams have a chat amongst them about their release dates, and will plan to avoid having the same release
dates. Obviously teams are waiting as long as possibile to release their 'cars' just before the actual test dates. The 28th is the official Jerez test day, so it's an automatic reveal really.

Shouldn't take too much from the press releases to be honest, like said, it'll at best be a 'close representation' of the actual car that'll be run in Melbourne when the season starts. Things like pullrod, pushrod, type of nose, general body lines are what you can get to see, but frankly, that's about it. the cars change sufficiently from the Jerez test through the Bahrain tests all the way to the melbourne race that there'll be quite a significant difference, even though that's more in the development area rather then different concepts.

nifty inventions however probably will be saved for the ultimate test or actual first race weekend.
all elements of the car will be tested in real life and compared to simulation data. let's take the supposed 'ingenious' rear suspension Mclaren is going to use for their 2014 contender [atleast, according to rumours]. They'll be anxious to test it,
but they'll be hesitant to show the public the 'device', because it might become copied [offcourse depending on the overall practicability].

Press release cars are a very close representation of the actual car, and that's it. Livery aswell, even though the livery is subject to change aswell [williams in past years].
The biggest teams like McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes can have great advantage of showing their cars a separate launch parties. Instead of just pulling of a cloth from the car at the racetrack. It get huge press interest and that's good for sponsors. And yes they do coordinate with each other not to clash at the same date. If I remember correctly McLaren often seems to be one of the first to release their cars. And as said above the cars do not represent the true version of the car. Launch cars often has last years front an rear wings etc.

turbof1

But things like chassis and nose will clearly be shown at the launch.
#AeroFrodo

Lycoming
Lycoming

turbof1 wrote:But things like chassis and nose will clearly be shown at the launch.
Sure, but not necessarily the ones they will race.

turbof1

Lycoming wrote:
turbof1 wrote:But things like chassis and nose will clearly be shown at the launch.
Sure, but not necessarily the ones they will race.
Chassis wise I am certain you'll get the real deal shown at the launch, unless they find a huge flaw and are forced to design a new one. Something like Virgin F1 in 2010.

Concerning the nose I am pretty sure too. They all will have crossed the same ideas; there's little they'll give away with showing the nose they'll use in Melbourne, perhaps questions about how certain designs got through the crash tests, but that's it.
#AeroFrodo