4 Scandinavian Drivers in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fritticaldi

4 Scandinavian Drivers in F1

With the nomination of Sweden's Marcus Ericsson and Denmark's Kevin Magnussen together with Finns Kimi Raikkonen and Valterri Bottas this brings the total to 4 Scandinavian driver's in F1 for 2014. The first time 3 drivers from Scandinavia were in F1 was the Canadian GP of '91 ( not 100% sure) when Finns Mika Hakkinen and JJ Lehto and Sweden's Stefan Johansson took the start of the race. Traditionally, excellent rally driver's we are seeing a trend of very good driver's emerging from Northern Europe joining the highest form of motorsports. Let's not forget Dane, Marco Sorensen who is linked with Lotus and could potentially make it 5 drivers!

PlatinumZealot

Re: 4 Scandinavian Drivers in F1

This is like clebrating three Black drivers in F1 or three Mexican drivers or three Japanese drivers.... I really don't understand this racial tallying???
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

GitanesBlondes

Finland is not a part of Scandinavia.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

fritticaldi

@ n smikle. Don't try and start something because there is Nothing racial here. I was only making the observation that it is the first time that 4 Scandinavian driver's take part in the F1 World Championship. It is statistically a record for that wonderful part of the world. Just like saying at one point there were six French drivers in the 1979 F1 World Championship ( Prost,Tambay, Jabouille, Arnoux, Depailler,Jarier) . For France that was a record. According to some sources Finland is considered a Scandinavian country.

GitanesBlondes

A simple Google search would tell you that there are only 2 Scandinavian drivers, not 4, as Sweden, Norway, and Denmark consist of Scandinavia. Finland is not a part of it. Ignoring geography doesn't make you any less wrong.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

fritticaldi

Thank-You Gitanes Blondes for the clarification.

Manoah2u

since we all know how trustworthy wikipedia is [there can be very facteous articles but also seriously incorrect
articles:

http://nasua.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/i ... andinavia/

however, if you do want to look into wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia
also northern parts of Finland are situated on the Scandinavian Peninsula
there you have it.
Scandinavia is also taken to include ...... Finland,..... Such usage.... may be considered inaccurate in the area itself, where the term Nordic countries instead refers to this broader group.
May.
The clearest example of the use of the term "Scandinavia" as a political and societal construct is the unique position of Finland, based largely on its southwestern part having been part of Sweden for more than seven centuries

When a speaker wants to explicitly include Finland alongside Scandinavia-proper, the geographic terms Fenno-Scandinavia or Fennoscandia are sometimes used in English.
So according to a quick google research, Fins can be refered to as Scandinavians.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

fritticaldi

Thanks Manoah for yet another broader and detailed clarification on the topic. :D

SectorOne

ItΒ΄s just an old technicality that is describing the countries with germanic languages whereas Finland has a Finnic language.
When i say Scandinavia i include Finland in that. As does half my family tree which is from Finland.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

fritticaldi wrote:Thank-You Gitanes Blondes for the clarification.
You mean Nordic?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Ted68

There used to be a saying in motorsports, "If you want to win, hire a Finn." It went out of fashion after Heikki.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

stefan_

Just modify the title into "Nordic" instead of "Scandinavian" and you'll get away with it.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

fritticaldi

Just a correction on my previous post regarding the six French driver's in the '79 season . I forgot to add Didier Pironi making it seven French driver's. Hard to believe !