What is that smell at a Formula 1 race ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
KurtTank

What is that smell at a Formula 1 race ?

This is my first ever post on an F1 forum.
Its been several years since I saw an F1 race. One of the most distinctive things I remember was a peculiar smell that hung in the air during the race. I smelled it at every race I ever went to. Many V10 races and one V8 race (2007.)
The only way I know how to describe it is as a mixture of Chinese hot mustard and lacquer thinner. A chemical smell, but kind of organic as well. ...A VERY unusual smell.
The smell lingered in my sinuses for many hours after the races.
Could it be Fuel? Tires? Lubricant?
Any ideas?

CMSMJ1

Re: What is that smell at a Formula 1 race ?

It is the oil and fuel - smells lovely.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Skippon

Brake Dust

mikeerfol

The generators maybe?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoLNuSLFOt4&t=3m20s[/youtube]

(Go to 3:20)

KurtTank

Brake dust. That is one possibility I didn't consider.
But If I'm not mistaken, I remember Nick Heidfeld's BMW being warmed up in the garage at Indy in 2006 (during the pit walkabout.) I think I remember smelling it then. The chassis was completely cold. So that would indicate it was something in the fuel or lubricants associated with the engine.
And Mike,
Thank you for the link. Maybe it is something in the fuel, since the generators would probably use the same fuel as the race cars for logistics sake. After all, they say the fuel the F1 cars run on is very similar to premium you pump into your road car. But maybe there is some sort of anti-friction additive akin to a 2 cycle lube? Or maybe I'm way off base.
Thoughts?

SectorOne

fear.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

countersteer

That's the smell of money being burned. Lots of it...

geraldix

Smells like ellipses... and shrimp.

bdr529

thats Bernie Ecclestone your smelling, I think its a mixture of Bengay and embalming fluid

mep

IMHO, it is unburned fuel due to the high valve overlap.
The smell is stronger when the cars pass at low speed because more unburned fuel gets into the air.

Jersey Tom

I do like the aroma of hot race rubber from the tires.. but yeah I'd go along with everyone else here and speculate you're getting the fuel smell.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

KurtTank

OK, lets say it is the fuel. But I've read more than once that the fuel they use in the F1 cars is very similar to unleaded premium fuel we put in our daily drivers.
So, is there some sort of special additive in the fuel or something? I mean, I've been around race cars, motorcycles, karts, etc. all my life and I have NEVER smelled ANYTHING that even REMOTELY smells like this EXOTIC odor I'm talking about.
Keep the comments coming guys.

radosav

It is smell of expensive tickets! I couldn't ever afford nothing more than general admission! I envy you!

dan928

i know that smell :)

flattyre

Maybe off-topic, but I have to admit that I love the smell of tarmac on a hot sunny day. Call me mad, but it's definitely different than in the winter :D