V8´s or V6´s?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which engines do you prefer?

V8 n/a
24%
V6 Turbo
76%

Total votes: 96

SectorOne

V8´s or V6´s?

We´ve now heard several samples of the new engines so i just wanted to gauge what the members of F1T thinks.

I personally love the new engines and i´m perplexed by Bernie and Monte´s comments a few months back regarding the sound of them.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u

Re: V8´s or V6´s?

too early to tell because we haven't heard them race. but i must say, i enjoy the sound already so much and it has a great extra to it.

i would welcome various engines though. a v12, a v6, a v8, a v4, inline 4, inline 5, inline 6, turbo, non-turbo, compressor....
that would surely spice things up and give great distinctive sounds!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

the user

I was never fond of the V8s - I actually didn't like the sound of them at all. So I welcome the change to the new engines. I was surprised how everyone was claiming that with the V6s F1 wouldn't be F1 anymore. It's like everyone forgot that 80s existed... Personally I like the sound of the new units because there are more cool sounds coming from them (not only the exhaust sound).

flattyre

I was always a fan of the V6s from the moment they were proposed - in fact, I remember telling people in the mid-2000s that I wish F1 would go back to turbo engines similar to the 80s to inject a bit of 'testosterone' back into the sound and the driving style. I also never liked the V8s from the day they were introduced - they sounded neither here nor there, neither a V10 scream or a V6 growl. Although they did sound phenomenal in real life, on TV the pitch was a bit lifeless...

...so, I'm sure it doesn't take a detective to work out which way I voted!

Morteza

I actually quite like turbo engines, what I cannot stand with the new regulations is the ERS system. I never was a fan of hybrid systems.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Daliracing

Well thats suprising. I tought ppl more liked v8 then these new V6 turbo's i guess thats just because we couldn't judge about the new engine/power units until now (i think will can even judge better after a few races). i also like the V6 turbo i agree its not the same but i think we needed a change.

PS: sorry for the bad english :oops:

Tim.Wright

The off throttle sound under braking is quite erection inducing
Not the engineer at Force India

SectorOne

Yea the new engine sounds pretty hardcore with all the different noises :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Holm86

IMO the V8's was dreadfully boring. Before the rev limit was introduced they sounded decent. After the rev limit they sounded pretty dull IMO. The V6'es sounds all right. And they are a hell of a lot more interesting technology wise.

I like that the different engines has different sounds. On TV the V8's sounded all the same.

ChrisF1

I hate the off throttle sounds, it is like they are misfiring.

Phil1984

ChrisF1 wrote:I hate the off throttle sounds, it is like they are misfiring.
I agree. I have a another question though: Where does this infernal ROOOAR-sound come from while accelerating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keLcrTw7FOI

It can be heard from 0:00-0:03 (right before the Force India brakes) as well as in between 0:31-0:38 as in 0:44-0:46. These engines sound distinguishly different than their v8-counterparts. I guess it is not due to the 3000 less revs, is it? Is it maybe the Turbo as such or some other structural element that makes these engines sound so different in comparison to the normal aspirated v8s/v10s/v12s? I have never heard that much of a bass-heavy ROAR before in an f1-engine (unless in the 80s obviously), since the aspirated engines were more of a high pitched screamer.

Phil1984 wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:I hate the off throttle sounds, it is like they are misfiring.
I agree. I have a another question though: Where does this infernal ROOOAR-sound come from while accelerating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keLcrTw7FOI

It can be heard from 0:00-0:03 (right before the Force India brakes) as well as in between 0:31-0:38 as in 0:44-0:46. These engines sound distinguishly different than their v8-counterparts. I guess it is not due to the 3000 less revs, is it? Is it maybe the Turbo as such or some other structural element that makes these engines sound so different in comparison to the normal aspirated v8s/v10s/v12s? I have never heard that much of a bass-heavy ROAR before in an f1-engine (unless in the 80s obviously), since the aspirated engines were more of a high pitched screamer.

I think that's just the exhaust.

In my limited experience a turbo more or less combines the pulses and alters the sound. When I run my car open downpipe it has a similar sound. I only have 4 cylinders and don't rev as high so it is "weaker" sounding but it isn't far off.

Hail22

Someone's made a Jerez sound comparison between 2013 and 2014 winter tests (albeit most of the video is full of 2014 video clips):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2QjA[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Have to say I'm looking forward to a bunch of these running in anger.

I wonder if the turbos are running ported shrouds given all that whistling under throttle. I wasn't sure if they would be needed as the MGUH should be able to help control compressor speed. Maybe they did it for a safety margin? Or is something else going on?
Last edited by 1158 on 30 Jan 2014, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

I miss 20,000 rpm, regardless of the cylinder count.