V8´s or V6´s?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which engines do you prefer?

V8 n/a
24%
V6 Turbo
76%

Total votes: 96

SectorOne

Re: V8´s or V6´s?

There´s really only two engines i miss. The last V12 that raced and BMW´s V10 bloodline of pure insanity.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stuartpengs

Pup wrote:I miss 20,000 rpm, regardless of the cylinder count.
This.

The V6's bring something new to the party, well the turbos do at least, but the 18-20,000rpm cherry on the top is missing.

Sulman

The V8's were great engineering, but they were anachronistic from the start. The sound can be spine tingling in the flesh, but it's also slightly discordant, and isn't necessarily very pleasant. I think the V6 is much better.

DaveKillens

SectorOne wrote:We´ve now heard several samples of the new engines so i just wanted to gauge what the members of F1T thinks.

I personally love the new engines and i´m perplexed by Bernie and Monte´s comments a few months back regarding the sound of them.
Monty does not like them because Ferrari sells V-12's and V-8's. Bernie has some ulterior motive, but just as political.

I love the new turbos. I suggest everyone turn the sound up very high for the start of the Melbourne race, when we get to hear 20+ cars spool up their turbos in anticipation when the red light go out.

Engine nerds will have a simultaneous global orgasm, and everyone will be talking about it.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

bhall

Jersey Tom

I think the new cars sound great. Was never a fan of the ~20k rpm stuff.. always liked what the cars were like late 80's.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

beelsebob

Hmm, thinks belonging to a V8, or thinks belonging to a V6. Tough choice. I'll take the things belonging to the V6 though. Particularly the sounds belonging to it.

Andres125sx

Tim.Wright wrote:The off throttle sound under braking is quite erection inducing
Yes, completely agree :D

I´m surprised of the result of the poll, I would have never expected more than 80% voting for the V6. F1T rules :P

I´ve never understood the obsesion of some people with sound. Sound is sound, it has never been a key factor on racing, and when you NEED hearplugs because the sound is harmfull for you, then I can barely understand how some people tryied to defend V8´s using the sound as an argument.... #-o

Actually I´m looking forward to FE start, I´d love to hear aerodinamical sounds and tyres sound MUCH better than an engine screaming, no matter how many cylinders it has...

And I love some engines sounds, don´t get me wrong, but I don´t see it important for racing. To me new engines with new technologies and improving the development is much more important. If you want to criticize something about the engines, you should start with 2013 engines, F1 using 7 years old engines?? You must be kidding...

OrangeArrows

(Off topic) Can someone tells the correct power output? Some say it's 550 hp others 600 hp and a few said 650 hp. It's not clear.

Steven
Owner

OrangeArrows wrote:(Off topic) Can someone tells the correct power output? Some say it's 550 hp others 600 hp and a few said 650 hp. It's not clear.
Nobody really knows exactly. Do you honestly think any manufaturer is going to tell anyone the exact number?

neilbah

i wonder how they compare dB wise. i like both, to be honest the true sound can only be appreciated(and felt) in person and the v8's sounded like a spec formula on TV without things like the blown diffusers keeping it interesting. I fear as time progresses that the v6's will end up sounding quite alike to each other whereas there is some variation between the manufacturers at the moment. For me personally i like high revving units and more design freedom around the number and layout of cylinders - i actually like the sound of the formula E. i remember standing track side during the 1994 season with v8' v10' and v12's all going past :) .

beelsebob

neilbah wrote:i wonder how they compare dB wise. i like both, to be honest the true sound can only be appreciated(and felt) in person and the v8's sounded like a spec formula on TV without things like the blown diffusers keeping it interesting. I fear as time progresses that the v6's will end up sounding quite alike to each other whereas there is some variation between the manufacturers at the moment. For me personally i like high revving units and more design freedom around the number and layout of cylinders - i actually like the sound of the formula E. i remember standing track side during the 1994 season with v8' v10' and v12's all going past :) .
The V6s are a lot quieter, so much so that Ted Kravitz was saying he hadn't needed ear plugs all weekend.

What's with everyone constantly using the grocers apostrophe in this thread?

SectorOne

OrangeArrows wrote:(Off topic) Can someone tells the correct power output? Some say it's 550 hp others 600 hp and a few said 650 hp. It's not clear.
Renault has came out with an official number, 600hp. i´d say all manufacturers are laying around that number.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

el-Magico

Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

JimClarkFan

I love the new sound