V8´s or V6´s?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which engines do you prefer?

V8 n/a
24%
V6 Turbo
76%

Total votes: 96

SectorOne

Re: V8´s or V6´s?

CHT wrote:V12 = Heavy Metal
V10 = Rock
V8 = Pop
V6 = Classic?

Anyway, here is a good comparison between the V6 of 12C and V8 of 458.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9iLTisjpOg

V12 = Beethoven.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote: V12 = Beethoven.
=D>

Juzh

CHT wrote: Anyway, here is a good comparison between the V6 of 12C and V8 of 458.

I know it's totally irrelevant, but this particular mclaren is using launch control and is on semi slicks. ferrari uses neither in this run.

Belatti

Maybe the people who is voting this should firts watch the new cars live. At leaste I will.

Last year I was present at thw WTCC race in Argentina where support race was a National Touring car championship that uses 2 liter NA screamers at 9500rpm in contrast with the silent WTCC turbos.

There were at least 20.000 persons at the stands who after watching National Touring, they left at the 5th lap of the WTCC race. The general comment was: this are not proper race cars.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

SectorOne

Belatti wrote:There were at least 20.000 persons at the stands who after watching National Touring, they left at the 5th lap of the WTCC race. The general comment was: this are not proper race cars.
20.000 non racing fans but instead 20.000 people who like noise.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CHT
CHT

Belatti wrote:Maybe the people who is voting this should firts watch the new cars live. At leaste I will.

Last year I was present at thw WTCC race in Argentina where support race was a National Touring car championship that uses 2 liter NA screamers at 9500rpm in contrast with the silent WTCC turbos.

There were at least 20.000 persons at the stands who after watching National Touring, they left at the 5th lap of the WTCC race. The general comment was: this are not proper race cars.
TV viewers might not notice the difference because the sound engineer doing the broadcasting can always crank up the audio feed by a few notches to make the V6 sound audible. But when watching live, it might be total different experience because I think its pretty normal for spectators to expect the main event to be louder, spectacular and faster around the track, just like F1 has always been.

I believe that is what Bernie is worried about. If the race organizer suffer poor ticket sales I think its going to bad for business and I am not sure what they are going to do to rectify it. Perhaps banned GP2 because they are too loud and too fast? :) or allow higher RPM?

the user

V10 = Rock
V8 = Pop
V6 = Classic?

12C has a V8, not a V6.

Hail22

SectorOne wrote:
V10 = Rock
V8 = Pop
V6 = Classic?

V12 = Beethoven.
This sums it up for me Mate:

V12 = Beautiful with an explosive Crescendo!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

strad

I have no use for these engines or the sound. Damn things are smaller than a motorcycle engine and sound like crap. Contrary to the line the FIA are pushing they are in no way related to anything on the road.
Some people will buy into anything.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ChrisF1

strad wrote:I have no use for these engines or the sound. Damn things are smaller than a motorcycle engine and sound like crap. Contrary to the line the FIA are pushing they are in no way related to anything on the road.
Well considering the most popular motorcycle engines seem to be 400-1000cc I don't know how 1600cc becomes smaller.

Ford have spent year promoting their Eco Boost 1 litre turbo engines, and DTM are also going towards sub 2 litre turbos. It is the way that the road car engines are going, like it or not.

Holm86

strad wrote:I have no use for these engines or the sound. Damn things are smaller than a motorcycle engine and sound like crap. Contrary to the line the FIA are pushing they are in no way related to anything on the road.
I don't think any road car engines are running 500 bars on their DI systems. If that is proven to work in the environment of F1 then of course it will find its way into road cars. The MGU-H is also a thing I could se coming to road car engines. Perhaps not as a MGU but a GU.

agip

CHT wrote:
Belatti wrote:I believe that is what Bernie is worried about. If the race organizer suffer poor ticket sales I think its going to bad for business and I am not sure what they are going to do to rectify it. Perhaps banned GP2 because they are too loud and too fast? :) or allow higher RPM?
They could start by lowering the ticket's prices.

CHT
CHT

agip wrote: They could start by lowering the ticket's prices.
Thats only possible if bernie reduce the hosting fee and thats exactly what bernie is trying to avoid.

rscsr

CHT wrote:
Belatti wrote:Maybe the people who is voting this should firts watch the new cars live. At leaste I will.

TV viewers might not notice the difference because the sound engineer doing the broadcasting can always crank up the audio feed by a few notches to make the V6 sound audible. But when watching live, it might be total different experience because I think its pretty normal for spectators to expect the main event to be louder, spectacular and faster around the track, just like F1 has always been.

I believe that is what Bernie is worried about. If the race organizer suffer poor ticket sales I think its going to bad for business and I am not sure what they are going to do to rectify it. Perhaps banned GP2 because they are too loud and too fast? :) or allow higher RPM?
I attended some races at the Hungaroring in the V10 and V8 era and I must say, that the F1 cars felt much quieter than the GP2 cars / lower classes (not silent by any means). I was this year at the WSBR race in Spielberg and I have to say that the WSBR cars were much easier on the ears than the ELMS race and I wouldn't want to watch the ELMS live again.

Sevach

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2QjA[/youtube]

At the corner exits the V6 is good enough... blasting down the straights the high pitched V8 takes it imo.