A crisis meeting in the cards?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: A crisis meeting in the cards?

To be honest I am still a little confuse by the bar chart on energy usage or storage they show on TV.

bonjon1979

Let's be clear about this. Those who want change would not be asking for change if they were winning. The reason Ferrari and Red bull are wanting an increase in fuel allowance is because they can not get all the power out of their ERS with the present limit which is hampering them with regards to horse power. I saw teams being ultra cautious in the first two races because I believe that they all thought there would be more retirements. Ie we just need to get to the end of the race to get big points so the races themselves were turgid. Now teams are realising that they'll have to actually race to earn points we're seeing more action up and down the field. Far more real action then in previous years when all the overtakes were meaningless results of tyre degradation or DRS that was far too powerful. We have defending and attacking like we haven't had since the Bridgestone era and I think it is rather refreshing.

adrianjordan

The race was thrilling even BEFORE the safety car...so that wasn't the reason for an exciting race...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

CHT
CHT

adrianjordan wrote:The race was thrilling even BEFORE the safety car...so that wasn't the reason for an exciting race...
The thrill before the safety car was not about who is going to win, but who is going to be best of the rest. Its only after the safety car that both merc got a chance to race one another.

flyboy2160

This is getting off track. Detailed discussions of lap times and strategy belong in the Race or Team threads. I've moved those posts to the Race thread.

CHT
CHT

flyboy2160 wrote:This is getting off track. Detailed discussions of lap times and strategy belong in the Race or Team threads. I've moved those posts to the Race thread.
thanks.

Cam

I’ll try and bring this back on track… with a look at the current rumours that can force a crisis meeting.

“Is Bernie trying to buy F1 back?” That was the headline on an AutoSport article yesterday. The article goes into detail linking why the current loud complaints are deliberate, and are designed to intentionally devalue F1 - in order to facilitate a buyout by a consortium lead by Bernie, possibly Red Bull, Ferrari and a few other non-team entities. It’s convincing. Enough so if I was Todt, I would be worried. You have 2 of the 3 mentioned who have huge followings that will follow, added with all the others together and you have enough cash to do what ever they want, whenever they want. That is a reality.

What the AutoSport article didn’t do is link it back to previous rumours - when if you do - this whole thing looks remarkably realistic.

Let’s go back to May 2012: “Flavio Briatore writing rules for ''GP1'' series” - that was the headline that outlined how Bernie was going to ‘Plan B’ a move away from F1. This was brought on by a spat with Mercedes and continued disagreement with the FIA. Why this was interesting is Bernie owns all the GP1 and co. trademarks. This would then nicely tie in the GP1, GP2 & GP3 series. Finally a true complete open-wheeled racing series.

But that didn’t happen did it. No. Not yet. But what if those rules were written? They’re just sitting there now, ready to go. All you need is someone really good at global marketing to launch it and justify the move away from F1. Who loves Motorsport and is very good at marketing?

Now, let’s look at the various rumours of Red Bull leaving. April fools aside, Red Bull have publicly stated their interest in building their own engines. The question is why. Why invest all that money for one or two teams? So here’s the kicker - what if Red Bull and possibly Ferrari, supply engines to the all the feeder series? Add in customer engines to GP1 and that makes any engine development very worth while and actually a very smart business move. These would be basic V8's or V10's too. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated.

All of a sudden you have a complete series of open wheeled Motorsport, backed by the former guru of F1, with all his connections and the mega brands of Red Bull and Ferrari, underpinned by a massive cash consortium, with none of the nuisance of the FIA. Think about that.

So what’s stopping them? Is leaving the F1 brand worthwhile? It’s common knowledge that the audience is simply getting older and not growing at all. Younger people are not coming on board - for many reasons. Most hardcore fans miss the ‘good ole’ days too (me included). So there is an argument the the F1 brand has become quite diluted, it’s nowhere near what it was back in the heady days.

More than likely, this is just a very well constructed ploy to force through a political agenda the FIA does not want. The question for the FIA and Todt is - are they bluffing?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Sombrero

If they are stupid enough to go with two series like F-1 and GP1 then it's over... for both !

xpensive

These are indeed amazing days, perhaps MrE's last hurrah, going all in to form a free series together with Roger Penske?

Who could ever compete with those two sob's, if supported by Montezuma and Ron the Con at that?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

MOWOG

If they are stupid enough to go with two series like F-1 and GP1 then it's over... for both !
Not so, sir. Things worked out pretty well for CART and IndyCar, didn't they? Oh, wait...... :? :wtf:

Note to xpensive: where are you seeing the Roger Penske connection? Surely Bernie and Flabbio have all the financial and political horsepower they need without dragging The Captain into the fray, don't they? And if Ferrari joins the mix...... :-k
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Sombrero

@MOWOG

I still angry these days... In the 90's we lost two great racing series : the IMSA GTP and the Indy CART. The IndyCar racing was way better than F-1 at the time with a good balance between road circuits, city tracks and ovals. It was about the driver not the electronics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?id=5195825

Sad that the clash didn't stop in 1999...