KERS & ERS clarification

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw

KERS & ERS clarification

So this year we have ERS which recovers energy through exhaust gases. Last year we had KERS which recovered energy under braking.

I'm hearing that KERS is gone for this year? Is that true?!

Juzh

Re: KERS & ERS clarification

Diesel wrote:So this year we have ERS which recovers energy through exhaust gases. Last year we had KERS which recovered energy under braking.

I'm hearing that KERS is gone for this year? Is that true?!
KERS is still here. Just not in a sense it was in 2009, 2011-2013. You have energy recovery under braking (MGU-k aka kers if you like), and energy recovery via Heat (MGU-h aka superfluous exhaust gasses).

i70q7m7ghw

So KERS cannot be deployed by the driver anymore?

tim|away

Diesel wrote:So KERS cannot be deployed by the driver anymore?
That is a very good question that I am interested in myself.

There are a lot of different options to deploy the stored energy, the release of which is controlled automatically via the ECU without driver input. The interesting question here is whether teams will implement an override button to let the driver manually deploy (parts of) the stored energy, for instance to assist in overtaking another car. Of course, no more than 4 MJ would be deployed per lap regardless of whether it's manually or automatically triggered, and a driver triggered deployment would certainly compromise later parts of the lap.

i70q7m7ghw

Okay, so it looks like KERS boost is gone? What a shame. It's a shame this years regulations are even less accessible for the fans. Everything I've seen has explained the addition of ERS, but nothing mentioned that KERS boost was being removed.

KERS gave us some of the best overtakes of this era, Hamilton on Vettel in China 2011 is one of the most memorable. Now it seems all we will see are DRS assisted overtakes in the straights, how dull.

tim|away

Diesel wrote:Okay, so it looks like KERS boost is gone? What a shame. It's a shame this years regulations are even less accessible for the fans. Everything I've seen has explained the addition of ERS, but nothing mentioned that KERS boost was being removed.

KERS gave us some of the best overtakes of this era, Hamilton on Vettel in China 2011 is one of the most memorable. Now it seems all we will see are DRS assisted overtakes in the straights, how dull.
I recommend you read the following two excellent articles by Matt Somers to get yourself familiar with the fundamental concept of the 2014 power units.
http://somersf1.blogspot.de/2013/01/201 ... h-ers.html
http://somersf1.blogspot.de/2013/12/201 ... uture.html

There are two things that will be different in 2014:
Kers releases roughly 80 hp for 6.6 seconds. (output can be lowered to extend the time of deployment)
MGU-K releases roughly 160 hp for 33.3 seconds (output can be lowered to extend the time of deployment)

In 2014, fuel management will be more critical than it was in 2013. Switching to a different engine map would give the driver a temporary boost that would certainly assist in overtaking an opponent. Combine that with a potential override control, so the driver can deploy the extra 160hp from the MGU-K whenever he sees a tactical advantage, as opposed to relying on the automatic deployment. The potential for strategical use of energy is huge, and in my opinion far greater than in 2013.