Thoughts on a circuit in the desert of Algeria?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Blackout

Re: Thouhts on a circuit in the desert of Algeria?

RZS10 wrote:A Formula 1 race in such a landscape would be epic, of course ... Star Wars Podrace anyone? :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... assili.jpg

But realistically, no.
Most F1 fans would rather prefer some european classics to come back, i guess.
Star Wars's 'Tatooine' is Tunisia :) (Tataouine and Matmata)

PlatinumZealot

RZS10 wrote:A Formula 1 race in such a landscape would be epic, of course ... Star Wars Podrace anyone? :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... assili.jpg

But realistically, no.
Most F1 fans would rather prefer some european classics to come back, i guess.
Yeah it would be epic if FIA allowed race tracks without barriers all around, so we could see the actual landscape.

I always dream of an F1 race on a beach, without any Barriers blocking the view of the landscape.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

AnthonyG

There used to be a GP d'Agadir (Marocco)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

1934 an Algerian GP was run.

A Bentley won it.

beelsebob
beelsebob

1158 wrote:1934 an Algerian GP was run.

A Bentley won it.
Not really Formula one though. A grand prix is just a race with a "big prize", formula one has only existed since 1950.

beelsebob wrote:
1158 wrote:1934 an Algerian GP was run.

A Bentley won it.
Not really Formula one though. A grand prix is just a race with a "big prize", formula one has only existed since 1950.
True, but I just thought it was interesting that they did indeed run a GP in Algeria. There wasn't a championship in '33 and '34 (European championship was suspended for 2 years) so they just ran a ton of races.

Lately I have been reading a lot about the pre war GP racing and it is quite fascinating.

Sebp

AnthonyG wrote:There used to be a GP d'Agadir (Marocco)
http://thechicaneblog.com/wp-content/up ... dPrix.jpeg
Off topic:
Pretty funny or terribly shocking to see that hay bails were considered adequate safety precautions back in those days.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

archi.moumouh1
archi.moumouh1

Re: Thoughts on a circuit in the desert of Algeria?

friend what do you think about my choise (location in the desert). thank you all team .

PlatinumZealot

It doesn't excite the average fan because it is too similar to Bahrain and Abu Dahbi in my opinion. And if the track is built it will be another boring Tilke Dome.

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:It doesn't excite the average fan because it is too similar to Bahrain and Abu Dahbi in my opinion. And if the track is built it will be another boring Tilke Dome.
Gah, why do people still bang on about "boring Tilke Dromes". Tilke has given us some excellent circuits. In particular, Turkey, and CotA stand out at the moment. There are actually very few of his tracks that are actively boring (though there are a couple).

Then again, we already had Monaco and Hungary, which are always rather dismal racing wise, proving that we don't need Tilke to get a boring circuit.

henra
henra

beelsebob wrote: There are actually very few of his tracks that are actively boring (though there are a couple).
Actually it is more the Support infrastructure and surrounding which makes them all look the same. Additionally you have miles wide paved runoff areas which always look the same. The Countryside around the circuit has little to almost none influence on what the actual circuit looks like. They have all this artifical concrete charme.
The track geometries themselves are indeed often not too bad, although I would like to see some more fast sweeping turns. I don't like this Mickey Mouse stuff although in all fairness some of his layouts indeed do feature those faster turns.
Then again, we already had Monaco and Hungary, which are always rather dismal racing wise, proving that we don't need Tilke to get a boring circuit.
Oh at least Monaco is not boring as a circuit since it is unforgiving for the Drivers but it is indeed somewhat prone to boring races.
Hungary on the other Hand I have to agree, I could probably do without.

beelsebob
beelsebob

henra wrote:
beelsebob wrote: There are actually very few of his tracks that are actively boring (though there are a couple).
Actually it is more the Support infrastructure and surrounding which makes them all look the same. Additionally you have miles wide paved runoff areas which always look the same. The Countryside around the circuit has little to almost none influence on what the actual circuit looks like. They have all this artifical concrete charme.
The track geometries themselves are indeed often not too bad, although I would like to see some more fast sweeping turns. I don't like this Mickey Mouse stuff although in all fairness some of his layouts indeed do feature those faster turns.
My only issue is really that he tries to make all his tracks a bit jack-of-all-tradesish. Every circuit he designs tends to have 1 sector be all high speed aero, 1 sector be all low speed cornering, and 1 sector be all straight line speed. I'd rather he made one track all about high speed aero, then another track all about low speed cornering etc.

GSBellew
GSBellew

Sebp wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:There used to be a GP d'Agadir (Marocco)
http://thechicaneblog.com/wp-content/up ... dPrix.jpeg
Off topic:
Pretty funny or terribly shocking to see that hay bails were considered adequate safety precautions back in those days.
1989 in Dundalk, Ireland they set up a street circuit, steel skips were used as crash barriers :shock:

I was 10 & it was all a few minutes walk from my house, remember watching Stirling Moss drive the track.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHWQuipZjg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CpoKHd5oI5 ... poKHd5oI5U[/youtube]

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:It doesn't excite the average fan because it is too similar to Bahrain and Abu Dahbi in my opinion. And if the track is built it will be another boring Tilke Dome.
Gah, why do people still bang on about "boring Tilke Dromes". Tilke has given us some excellent circuits. In particular, Turkey, and CotA stand out at the moment. There are actually very few of his tracks that are actively boring (though there are a couple).

Not talking about the Racing, but the actual scenery of the track itself.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

AnthonyG wrote:Is Algeria a safe country?
archi.moumouh1 wrote:sure
best answer ever :lol: :lol: =D> =D> :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"