Qualifying changes for 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Qualifying changes for 2014

hollowBallistix wrote:Just open the track for a 60 minute session & issue every single team 4 sets of qualification specific tyres, fastest lap within that session takes pole position.

Leaving all teams open to decide what tyres they start on for the race.

I can't stand this Q1, Q2, Q3 nonsense.
yeah, we know how that went... like 7 minutes of action in the end of the 1 hour long qualifying and not enough TV's to show the action.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

KingHamilton01

hollowBallistix wrote:Just open the track for a 60 minute session & issue every single team 4 sets of qualification specific tyres, fastest lap within that session takes pole position.

This was why it got changed in the first place, because people found that boring!
McLaren Mercedes

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Yeah well they could have just made it mandatory that each team do a timed run within each 15 minute segment of the 60 minutes, rather than how it is now, Q1 & Q2 are not exciting, it's usually the same teams that end up in Q3 & they only do a run right at the end usually.

alexx_88
alexx_88

I think that another problem with the current format is that you have all the people doing the Q3 laps basically at the same time. A lot of action is missed because of this. If 3 or 4 are in contention for pole, you only get to see one flying lap. I think that Q2 and Q1 should be kept as they are now and do Q3 in a similar system to that which was used in early 2005: top 10 from Q2, in reverse order, one flying lap each. Creates much more anticipation, puts a lot of pressure on the driver and creates a more entertaining show. The only situation when this is not a good idea is when Q3 is run in mixed conditions, but that will just spice things up in the race.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

raymondu999 wrote:....What happens if they don't set a 103% time? Do they then have to start behind the people they outqualified earlier on? We have to cover the "extraordinary" circumstances such as Hungary 2010 no? Everyone outside the first 2 rows was above 103%
My xxx% proposal is for measuring just the times in Q3. So if it rains in Q3, they're all in the same boat.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

alexx_88 wrote:.... I think that Q2 and Q1 should be kept as they are now and do Q3 in a similar system to that which was used in early 2005: top 10 from Q2, in reverse order, one flying lap each. ......The only situation when this is not a good idea is when Q3 is run in mixed conditions, but that will just spice things up in the race.
Except

1: that there's nothing (except shame and booing) to prevent the teams that want to save tires from just cruising around for their allotted run.

2: the weather/track rubbered in lottery really isn't fair.

scuderiafan

Wouldn't it be easier to let the teams qualify, Q1-Q3, then let them have a fresh set of tires for the race?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Pup
Pup

FrukostScones wrote:

yeah, we know how that went... like 7 minutes of action in the end of the 1 hour long qualifying and not enough TV's to show the action.
KingHamilton01 wrote:This was why it got changed in the first place, because people found that boring!
Some people. For me, the suspense was much greater back then and I tended to pay much more attention. It was the waiting that made the suspense, which in turn made qualifying interesting. Today, I fast forward through all of Q1(which is useless, unless your one of 3 Marussia fans), ¾ of Q2, and while Q3 is on often end up looking up the results and turning it off.

But then, most of the media world these days is geared toward people who need Action!™ 100% of the time or else their mind starts to wander towards cat videos. I'll take suspense over action any day.

raymondu999

flyboy2160 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:....What happens if they don't set a 103% time? Do they then have to start behind the people they outqualified earlier on? We have to cover the "extraordinary" circumstances such as Hungary 2010 no? Everyone outside the first 2 rows was above 103%
My xxx% proposal is for measuring just the times in Q3. So if it rains in Q3, they're all in the same boat.
Okay... So say that Q2 is over. Sutil scrapes into Q3, but with a stellar pole lap from vettel, Sutil can't do 103% of Vettel's time (dry session) - what happens to Sutil?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

raymondu999 wrote:what happens to Sutil?
He throws his dice, walks past jail (literally), lands on community chest, gets 250 free points from Bernie and has secured a place in the finale at Abu Dhabi.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

kalinka
kalinka

hollowBallistix wrote:Yeah well they could have just made it mandatory that each team do a timed run within each 15 minute segment of the 60 minutes, rather than how it is now, Q1 & Q2 are not exciting, it's usually the same teams that end up in Q3 & they only do a run right at the end usually.
Or made it mandatory that every driver has to do 3 or 4 timed laps during the 60minutes, and the best lap counts. If you are unable to do that, you get 10 place grid penalty. For this, they could have 2 sets of qualy tires, and everybody can start on new tires of his choice. That way, the teams can't risk to do all that laps on last 10 minutes, because that's too much risk. The best laps would come at the end of the session either way.

javspace
javspace

I think the best qualifying procedure should be as follows:
60 min free for all
1st 15 mins 5 slowest cars get eliminated and returned to the garage on their first available entry to pits.
2nd 15 mins same procedure applies
Final half hour times reset and a jolly good free for all.

This way there's non stop action and a car lets say the top 4 teams will have to post a lap in the 1st 15mins at least and have the final half hour to wring it's neck with the option tyres if they been good in the first half hour.

fritticaldi

Bring back the 30 minute warm-up on Sunday morning please :D

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

raymondu999 wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:
Okay... So say that Q2 is over. Sutil scrapes into Q3, but with a stellar pole lap from vettel, Sutil can't do 103% of Vettel's time (dry session) - what happens to Sutil?
If Sutil can't do the xxx% time in Q3, for whatever reason, he's back to 11th. I still don't have a problem with the current system, but if you're trying to really make all of them race in Q3, this would do it!

Juzh

scuderiafan wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to let the teams qualify, Q1-Q3, then let them have a fresh set of tires for the race?
Yes, but this is FIA we're talking about.