How are cockpits drained of water?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RAF
RAF

How are cockpits drained of water?

Stupid question but...
When it's raining, how do they stop the cockpit of an F1 car filling up with water? Do they have drainage holes?

Manoah2u

Re: Stupid question but...

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=6362

not a stupid question, but has been asked before.
typed 'f1 cockpit drain' in google and this was the 1st link, right here.
not that i mind putting this up here, but, despite it actually is a good question,
quite honestly, you could have done that yourself :wink:
Last edited by Manoah2u on 15 Feb 2014, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jersey Tom

That's actually a pretty good question. I'd have to assume so.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

RAF
RAF

I did actually google " how do they stop the cockpit of an F1 car filling up with water" but nothing came up. :D

Manoah2u

RAF wrote:I did actually google " how do they stop the cockpit of an F1 car filling up with water" but nothing came up. :D
lol, i can imagine that sentence putting up some difficulties, yes :mrgreen:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marcush.

first of all -has anyone of you guys ever driven his Roadster in the rain? It´s not like the car is filling up with water .a formula 1 car usually is driving at considerable Speed ..so the Problem is mainly on the grid at standstill -they got umbrellas and bodyworkcovers for that..

Kiril Varbanov

http://mythbustersresults.com/car-vs-rain

There are 5 parts of the video in Youtube.

fasterthanyou

marcush. wrote:first of all -has anyone of you guys ever driven his Roadster in the rain? It´s not like the car is filling up with water .a formula 1 car usually is driving at considerable Speed ..so the Problem is mainly on the grid at standstill -they got umbrellas and bodyworkcovers for that..
I do drive my imaginary roadster sometimes but physical simulation in my imaginary world is not up to the standard. :D

Jaap

Because of the aerodynamics, there is no airflow going into the cockpit. So there is no rain going into the cockpit. However, when the cars are standing still, because of a red flag or something, they dry it with towels because some rain still collects.

I'm sure they don't have a cockpit drain because it would be terrible for the aerodynamics

Skippon

The tub doesn't have drain holes as such - but then neither is it sealed in.
It'll get wet inside if stationary!!!
Then there are some apertures where the electrical harnessing etc passes through........

flattyre

I'd imagine that both the heat in the cockpit and the airflow from the vent on the front of the nose would help the cockpit to dry out. Are the drivers' overalls waterproof? I doubt it, because they'd need to be able to perspire. Some water might get absorbed into that...

As said before, any drainage would probably be awful for aerodynamics, so I doubt they have any of that.

Trocola

My question is

What happens with the water that goes inside the air intake? That can't be very good for the engine

Manoah2u

Trocola wrote:My question is

What happens with the water that goes inside the air intake? That can't be very good for the engine
works the same for any car any engine out there. first of all there's an air filter so water is never 'flooding' in anyway,
and besides that, it isn't neccesarily bad. first of all there's always an amount of humidity when air enters an engine.
apart from that, water is actually in certain cases beneficial, ever heared about water injection? the result is engine cooling,
finally, the amount of water entering the intake is minimal - so it really won't affect so much at all.

Richard

Re: How are cockpits drained of water?

From personal experience, you don't need to drive too fast to avoid rain getting in the cockpit of an open car. Also from personal experience, you don't need to drive fast to get drenched when there's a hole in the floor. So I'm sure the teams would be more worried about water getting through the floor into the electrics.

Anyway, drivers talk about getting drenched in sweat in every hot race, so a few drops of rain in damp races shouldn't bother them?

WillerZ

Re: How are cockpits drained of water?

Holes in the floor are banned by the rules; if they weren't everyone would use the "drainage holes" to feed the upper-deck of a double-deck diffuser.