Best spots for 2014 - Catalunya?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NTS
NTS

Best spots for 2014 - Catalunya?

Maybe a stupid question, but the last time I went to a GP was more than 20 years ago with my father when I was just a little kid. Didn't really know at that time what was going on in the race, just remember it was a very impressive thing to witness :D

Now I'm planning to go to the GP of Spain in may, but I'm not quite sure what the best spot is to really follow the race. Price differences in tickets are not that big compared to airline tickets, hotel etc, so I don't mind paying a bit more for a good spot. Looking at the map of the track:

I think the best spots are either on H or I or Main? For Main I have the fear that you would only see them blast by at very high speed on the straights and not see much real action. So I think H or I would see more interesting overtakes? Who has been there and can recommend?

Juzh

Re: Best spots for 2014 - Catalunya?

From the fan videos I've watched on youtube I think you can see the most from L.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQFrL2CKns[/youtube]

Del Boy

During testing H is always packed. As you can sit pretty much anywhere during testing I would take that as a good recommendation! I sat in G (2012) you get to see the cars for a longtime there. If it's hot the only place with shade is the main grandstand.

If your there Friday walk around the circuit for P1 & P2 it's all open.

NTS
NTS

Thanks, I'm planning to be there all three days so will definitely walk around. Basically the choice is between L for a wide view of many corners, H with also a lot of corners but seems a bit further from the track or Main with more shade but indeed a less interesting view. Difficult choice :-)

Also read online that in Thursday there are tours of the pitlane so it would be nice to be there a day early?

Racingf1

I would make you a different recommendation. I'm a member of the Circuit of Catalunya since 2002 and I know pretty well it's characteristic. My choice is grandstand E because of its reduced price if you compare it to grandstand F and you find better views for a lower price.

You can see the start-finish line, the pit exit, turns 1, 2, 3 and although they're not so close to this grandstand, you have direct views of turns 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

From 2007 to 2012 I've been in F grandstand and since last year, I've changed for ecomonic reasons to E grandstand, but in the end it was a good move! And I'm really proud of my choice.

And finally, if your final desicion is between E and H grandstands, beyond all doubt go for a seat in the 3 last rows of the grandstand.

Hope this explanation will help you to make a good decision!

Racingf1

NTS wrote: Also read online that in Thursday there are tours of the pitlane so it would be nice to be there a day early?
If you have never had the opportunity to see the pitlane, that's a good call to go there on thursday. I've only been once back in 2006 because there are too many people in this visit. But as I said, if you have never whatched it, you should go to see it!

beelsebob

Personally, I'd go for B, G or C. The best spots at GPs are generally where you can see as many corners as you can. That, and there's a couple of overtaking spots in that complex.

bcoxa

You also may like to consider seeing where the big screens are, keep on top of the rest of the action.
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

Steven
Owner

I agree with beelsebob. Having strolled around the track during a couple of test sessions, I recommend B G C H. You will see the entire complex of corners.
I have never been fond of stands on the straight, unless you are immediately ahead of the pitlane. You're best off with a place where you can see several corners, or a spot with a slower corner. Otherwise cars just shoot by. It's impressive for 10 minutes, but after that tiresome to look at (but that is just my personal opinion)

Del Boy

Racingf1 wrote:I would make you a different recommendation. I'm a member of the Circuit of Catalunya since 2002 and I know pretty well it's characteristic. My choice is grandstand E because of its reduced price if you compare it to grandstand F and you find better views for a lower price.

You can see the start-finish line, the pit exit, turns 1, 2, 3 and although they're not so close to this grandstand, you have direct views of turns 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

From 2007 to 2012 I've been in F grandstand and since last year, I've changed for ecomonic reasons to E grandstand, but in the end it was a good move! And I'm really proud of my choice.

And finally, if your final desicion is between E and H grandstands, beyond all doubt go for a seat in the 3 last rows of the grandstand.

Hope this explanation will help you to make a good decision!
As a member are you able to buy weekend tickets for E as I looked at E and because I could only buy a Ticket per day (3 one day tickets) it was cheaper to buy a 3 day ticket in G. Also as a member are you allowed in the cafe on the inside of turn one. I like sitting on the grass there during testing but when I last went during GP weekend this was members only.

Del Boy

Answered my own question by looking at Catalunya website. Wish I'd become a member, looks like a good deal!