F1T FantasyF1League 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raceman

F1T FantasyF1League 2014

Hello all,

Will there be this year's fantasy league available??

MOWOG

Re: F1T FantasyF1League 2014

Personally, i am hoping for a better game for us to play, one that relies less on silly bets that remain the same all season long and permits more trading of team components along the way. And that's not just sour grapes. After all, I DID finish first in last year's competition.

Suggestions for a different fantasy league experience would be welcome. :idea:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Sawtooth-spike

I am up for this.

Last years one was not great.

My only requirement is that it is free.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

HVS5b

http://www.f1racemanager.com/maintenance.html

I hope this site is operational this year. I like their set up.

ben_watkins

ESPImperium has set up a new league at the previously excellent f1manager.info

http://www.f1manager.info/ranking/3692
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

acosmichippo

MOWOG wrote:Personally, i am hoping for a better game for us to play, one that relies less on silly bets that remain the same all season long and permits more trading of team components along the way. And that's not just sour grapes. After all, I DID finish first in last year's competition.

Suggestions for a different fantasy league experience would be welcome. :idea:
honestly, I've looked around at a ton of F1 fantasy leagues, and I think the one used last year is still my favorite, despite its flaws.

edit: Here is a writeup of my findings I posted on another site:
acosmichippo wrote:I've taken a look at a bunch of other fantasy F1 sites (about a dozen), and found that ours is actually pretty unique for a few reasons: 1) values of assets (drivers, contractors, and engines) are updated after each race; 2) you are allowed one team change per race; and 3) you get income through your team's performance and bets.

Regarding #1, MOST sites set asset values at the beginning of the season and just leave them. I don't care for this since I think it would cause everyone to eventually converge on roughly the same team. For example, if a driver is overvalued at the beginning (like Button), everyone will dump them quickly, and if another is undervalued (Rosberg or Grosjean), everyone will pick them up.

Regarding #2, other sites either allow a small number of changes for the whole season (5-7 or so), or an unlimited number of changes. I don't really care for this either since the former would take the fun out of updating your team every race, and the latter would just make it too easy. I think the 1 change per race is a nice middle ground.

Regarding #3, in combination with #1 and #2, it makes it pretty fun to build your team throughout the year since you're not stuck with the initial bank of $100M (or whatever the site chooses). If your team does well or you bet well, you'll get more money to improve your team. Every other site I found limits your team choices to the initial money pool allotted at the beginning of the season.

All that being said, I think this site is the closest to our current one:

http://www.udt.co.za/f1fantasy/page/game_info.html
  • Like our current fantasy site, the asset values do change throughout the season, but they only get updated every three races, so the knee-jerk value changes after a driver DNF should be limited.
  • The scoring system looks very similar to our current one.
  • Instead of one transfer per race, you get 30 total transfers, limited to 3 per race. That works out to roughly 1.5 transfers per race, but you can use up to three if you need to change more assets (like you might want to at the beginning of the season).
  • Unlike our current site, there is NO income other than the changes in value of your team assets. You get no race income, and there is no betting.
  • Instead of a "Talent" driver, you choose a team "Captain" that earns double points, which can be anyone on your team, regardless of value.
  • The team management UI is very nice. Sortable tables, with relevant stats readily available.
I just registered to try out the system, and it seems nice. I'll check in and play around with again after the USGP. I'd be curious to hear what everyone else thinks too.
Last edited by acosmichippo on 05 Mar 2014, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Gridlock

I'm meh about the venue from last year, at least it made it to the end, but keep us updated on where people settle on and I'm in. Definitely added some excitement to last year, keeping an eye on the rookie drivers etc for the betting.

MOWOG

That link references the 2013 season. If they haven't gotten around to updating it for 2014 yet, I am skeptical about this being a valid option. :?:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Sawtooth-spike

I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

ESPImperium

ben_watkins wrote:ESPImperium has set up a new league at the previously excellent f1manager.info

http://www.f1manager.info/ranking/3692
Password: f1technical.net

Enjoy!

Steven
Owner

Obviously, last year's http://fantasyf1league.com/ is out of the question, as it's not updated anymore, and it also appears like the game is for sale.

Can anybody remind me what is so good about f1manager.info?

pob

I'll start this season's prediction game thread shortly :)

Stubsz

Hi everyone,

I have created a new Fantasy F1 game at: http://www.playf1game.com if anybody is interested in checking it out?

It's completely free and has quite a simple scoring system. I'm planning on improving it over the course of this season (ready for the 2015 season) based upon what some other sites are doing and user feedback e.g. fluctuating driver/team values which sounds like a nice idea

Thanks

Maelstrom

Guys... lets please decide on a league soon. Or else the season will start and we will have no league!

Darknight

Maelstrom wrote:Guys... lets please decide on a league soon. Or else the season will start and we will have no league!
Agreed as we only have 11 days left and usually 2 days prior you have to confirm your selection. So far I have registered on http://www.f1manager.info/ranking/3692 and joing @ESPImperium 's league that was set up for the F1Technical forum. Password is : f1technical.net .

I have not tested this site yet but if we don't find anything quickly I suggest that we all join this one. Better to be all together in a lousy game than scattered all over.

EDIT: After going through the f1manager site I take back saying that it could potentially be not so good a site. I like the set up and it seems that many others from last years game site are on this now. I suggest we all register quickly. Make sure you read the FAQ to understand how this site works as its a bit different to what we were used to.