Formula One needs to embrace alternative media

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theformula

Formula One needs to embrace alternative media

An article on this exact topic was posted on Autosport, and it is a topic on which I think needs to be addressed.

I have long had a strong view that F1 needs to let the vast forms of sites such as YouTube to promote the sport. This is ever more prevalent now since viewing figures seem to be down. I realise the fact that a lot people cannot or won't pay to watch all the races live on Sky F1 and this is part of the issue of reduced viewing figures. But if FOM keep banning F1 related videos on YouTube, how do they expect to attract the attention of more people? However, it is not all about YouTube, there are many more issues.

This is a topic which has many points of views and that is why i have created this topic.

Discuss :)
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

beelsebob

Re: Formula One needs to embrace alternative media

At some point, it will become reasonable for the FOM to use these services. A strong argument could probably be made that that time is now. But just at the moment, Rupert Murdoch is spending a lot of money to make sure that people stick with him, and not with Google/Netflix/... The FOM benefits from Rupert Murdoch spending a lot of money, and hence they are not moving yet.

While we're at it, I strongly believe that the viewership is down not because of any of these minor reasons, but instead because people are bored of predictable race outcomes.

acosmichippo

as soon as f1 offers a comprehensive online streaming service independent of cable/satellite channels, I will subscribe. go ahead, take my money, f1.
Last edited by acosmichippo on 20 Feb 2014, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

theformula

beelsebob wrote:At some point, it will become reasonable for the FOM to use these services. A strong argument could probably be made that that time is now. But just at the moment, Rupert Murdoch is spending a lot of money to make sure that people stick with him, and not with Google/Netflix/... The FOM benefits from Rupert Murdoch spending a lot of money, and hence they are not moving yet.

While we're at it, I strongly believe that the viewership is down not because of any of these minor reasons, but instead because people are bored of predictable race outcomes.
Yeah i understand where you're coming from. I agree that views may be down due to the predictability of races.

Also, just to add in, I find it ironic that Autosport have published an article on this topic in their 'Autosport +' section where only people who have subscriptions get to read that article.... :roll:
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Del Boy

I do agree about the manner Bernie's army at Biggin Hill patrol the internet looking for copyright infringements. And then having them removed. We better be careful if this thread gets too much attention.......

Bernie's always watching

FrukostScones

F1 is kind of an old geezer sport. A dying anachronism. Sadly. Enjoy it as long as you can. Even without alternative channels.
They will maybe change if it pays. I think they understimate the old people, but they FOM are very conservative, want to rake in the $ most efficiently. They don't need no secondary battlefields. They fear the breaking of the monopoly. Bernie is a corrupt controlfreak but when he's gone F1 is dead anyway.
Also:
We know future kids won't care about F1 because they will be busy talking about their cybernetic enhancements.
Mass hysteria! Today outing yourself as F1 Fan is like saying you'd eat baby Giraffes for breakfast. Slaughtered single-handedly. F1 is dead and Renault killed it or was it Mad Max Mosley? :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.