What driver will take Pole Position in Melbourne?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Sebastian Vettel
4%
Daniel Ricciardo
No votes
Lewis Hamilton
50%
Nico Rosberg
19%
Fernando Alonso
8%
Kimi Raikkonen
4%
Romain Grosjean
2%
Pastor Maldonado
1%
Jenson Button
4%
Kevin Magnussen
8%

Total votes: 212

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Pure speculation, but why not have a thread like this everyone once in a while, I know I like giving out my uninformed opinion every now and then :mrgreen: .

Try and keep to the thread topic, we know this is a guessing game but remain respectful.

Because I can only enter 10 poll options I took the drivers from the top 5 constructors last year. By all means mention your driver if they are not on the poll options.

If anyone has the odds for each driver paste them in!

Questions is the title: ''What driver will take Pole Position in Melbourne?''
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 22 Feb 2014, 00:26, edited 3 times in total.

tomazy
tomazy

Re: What driver will take Pole Position in Melbourne?

One of the Williams drivers :o but, becouse they are not in the poll, I vote (guess) Kimi.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

tomazy wrote:One of the Williams drivers :o
Dam you lol

I can't fit them on mate, I can only put 10 and since I didn't have a good way to judge it I just stuck on the top 5 constructors last year.

tomazy
tomazy

Yes, I saw latter that you can only have 10 options and edited my post :) sorry

mikeerfol

I'll go with Hamilton. The race though is a different story...

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

tomazy wrote:Yes, I saw latter that you can only have 10 options and edited my post :) sorry
No probs :mrgreen:
mikeerfol wrote:I'll go with Hamilton. The race though is a different story...
My choice too.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Well that was easy...
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

lkocev

I would like Jenson to take pole for the Australian GP, but at this stage I would say it could be any of the Mercedes powered drivers. The Mercedes powered teams seem to be quite reliable in testing, so I would think that those teams are better placed to get good performance out of their packages. It will be interesting, I think any punter who puts a few quid on any driver is particularly brave... Time will tell.

Sevach
Sevach

Rosberg or Alonso imo.
As of right now Rosberg looks like a better prospect for Q.

I understand the logic for the drivers included in the poll, but Massa/Bottas and Hukenberg could surprise...

bill shoe
bill shoe

I'm a big Hamilton fan, but I have to lean toward Rosberg for Melbourne pole or anything else during the season. During pre-season testing, Rosberg has been so quiet and focused it's almost like he's dead. He is locked and loaded for a serious championship run.

Helios

bill shoe wrote:I'm a big Hamilton fan, but I have to lean toward Rosberg for Melbourne pole or anything else during the season. During pre-season testing, Rosberg has been so quiet and focused it's almost like he's dead. He is locked and loaded for a serious championship run.
He hasn't been quiet at all mate. Saying things like "we are going to win many races this season" isn't being quiet where I live. ;)

Imo, he can be as focused as he wants, there's no way he's going to end up ahead of Hamilton in the championship.

And Lewis is my guess for pole too.

lkocev

Helios wrote:
bill shoe wrote:I'm a big Hamilton fan, but I have to lean toward Rosberg for Melbourne pole or anything else during the season. During pre-season testing, Rosberg has been so quiet and focused it's almost like he's dead. He is locked and loaded for a serious championship run.
He hasn't been quiet at all mate. Saying things like "we are going to win many races this season" isn't being quiet where I live. ;)

Imo, he can be as focused as he wants, there's no way he's going to end up ahead of Hamilton in the championship.

And Lewis is my guess for pole too.
That's a bit rich I think, last season Rosberg won two grands prix, Hamilton one. Sure he was out scored by 18 points, but I don't think that is a great deal of difference, 189 - 171 is not a night and day difference when you look at say Alonso and Massa last season at 242 - 112 ... Also keep in mind Rosberg had two (three if you count the engine failure at Hungaroring after 90% race distance) retirements, Hamilton one. If we look at race results, Hamilton finished ahead of Rosberg ten times, Rosberg ahead of Hamilton nine times. So I think its fair to say they are very close.

Rosberg is very competitive, and quite capable of outscoring Hamilton. Sure I understand that he has only been outscored by his team mate over a season once in his career, but that is not a reason why it cant happen again. I honesty think Rosberg and Hamilton have equal odds for pole. There both bloody quick.

NTS
NTS

I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel shows up in a working RB10 and takes pole. Actually finishing the full race distance is another question of course :-)

Helios

lkocev wrote:
That's a bit rich I think, last season Rosberg won two grands prix, Hamilton one. Sure he was out scored by 18 points, but I don't think that is a great deal of difference, 189 - 171 is not a night and day difference when you look at say Alonso and Massa last season at 242 - 112 ... Also keep in mind Rosberg had two (three if you count the engine failure at Hungaroring after 90% race distance) retirements, Hamilton one. If we look at race results, Hamilton finished ahead of Rosberg ten times, Rosberg ahead of Hamilton nine times. So I think its fair to say they are very close.

Rosberg is very competitive, and quite capable of outscoring Hamilton. Sure I understand that he has only been outscored by his team mate over a season once in his career, but that is not a reason why it cant happen again. I honesty think Rosberg and Hamilton have equal odds for pole. There both bloody quick.
#1: The only reason Rosberg won more races was Hamilton's puncture and Vettel's gearbox. Without that, I'm confident that it would've been 1-1 in terms of wins if not 2-1 in favour of Hamilton. Rosberg was double lucky in Silverstone, the kind of luck that Lewis didn't have in Hungary for example.

#2: They were close in terms of race pace and points, but first of all it's quite rich to compare the difference in points between Massa and Alonso on the one hand and Hamilton vs Rosberg on the other hand. I rate Rosberg much higher than Massa. Secondly, Hamilton has lost some points due to bad luck aswell (and no, I don't only rate mechanical failures as bad luck the way you seem to do).

GB: 13 Points at best (+ Rosberg scored more points than he most probably would have without HAM's puncture)

Italy: Slow puncture early in the race, extra stop which cost him any chance of finishing within the Top5 (his pace was outstanding compared to Rosberg btw)

Korea: Had to stay out longer than planed on completely worn tyres because of Rosberg's FW-failure, which put him behind Hülkenberg who was able to keep Lewis behind for the rest of the race due to his amazing traction out of slow corners.

Japan: Puncture on the first lap due to contact with Vettel. No one to blame, so racing incident - but still unlucky considering he started 3rd.

India + Abu Dhabi: Faulty chassis, which hindered his performance (as confirmed by Ross Brawn and the fact that Hamilton was suddenly up to pace again with the new chassis arriving at Austin)

And last but not least: Lewis has beaten Nico in his first season in a new team with a car that he didn't feel comfortable with.

iotar__

So who's YOUR favourite driver with Mercedes engine and preferably Mercedes car? No love for Alonso/Ferrari?
Why even vote now, I'll tell you after FP3 in Australia.

[poster above "forgot" Rosberg's problems especially in qualifying/FP except for broken wing that slowed mainly Hamilton :wink: (can you believe that?) and team orders; as for "faulty chassis" "no one's fault in Suzuka" "no luck in Hungary" or just about everything else except Silverstone - don't make me laugh, it didn't happen]