What driver will take Pole Position in Melbourne?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What driver will take Pole Position in Melbourne?

Sebastian Vettel
4%
Daniel Ricciardo
No votes
Lewis Hamilton
50%
Nico Rosberg
19%
Fernando Alonso
8%
Kimi Raikkonen
4%
Romain Grosjean
2%
Pastor Maldonado
1%
Jenson Button
4%
Kevin Magnussen
8%

Total votes: 212

Emerson.F

Re: What driver will take Pole Position in Melbourne?

smr wrote:Let's not forget that Jenson actually set a faster time in testing so far than KM...

KM's fastest time was set on the super softs and Jenson's was on the softs, if Jenson had been on the supersofts he would have set a quicker time than KM.

However I do understand that all these comments about KM are based on the media stories about him being insanely quick over one lap.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jenson take pole in Melbourne as long as the Mclaren is quick.
+1
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Unc1eM0nty

I think Hamilton has the edge over Rosberg on one lap pace, wouldn't be surprised if Rosberg took it though.

dans79 wrote:
Rikhart wrote:Qualy this year will be worth less than ever in F1 I believe, so not that important.
I think it will actually be significantly more important. With more torque, less down force, and more emphasis on saving fuel, getting stuck behind someone is going to be a nightmare unless you can lap substantially faster than they can.

No, it will be easy to pass, just crank everything up to 100%, make the move then back on economy mode, problem is
the next lap the other car can do the same thing, at some point in the race they will reach a point where they have to hold station in economy mode and just make it home.

beelsebob

That's no use if you kill the engine in doing so. You only have 5 engines this year, killing one in Melbourne is not going to be on any team's agenda.

ringo

Rosberg will be beaten even more convincingly this year i feel. If the Pirellis are rock hard and the engines have all that torque, things will play to Hamilton's strengths. The heavier cars also makes braking more critical now.
So i think after 5 years Hamilton has finaly got some semblance of regulations that suit is style somewhat.
Last year was learning the team and the cars. This year i think he's got a handle on things, and will get more instinctual with his driving.

As for the button and magnusses arguement. Button may well put it on pole if it's the best car. I was drawn in by the Kevin hype thanks to mclaren comments when they let go Perez. I think he could be the next big thing. I hope he doesn't flop for his own sake.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

SectorOne wrote:Would be quite funny if RB sorts out their ---, everyone realizes itΒ΄s still the best car and Vettel puits it on pole with about a second clear of everyone else. Hello 2014...

IΒ΄d probably stab myself if it happens.
If that happens... I am DONE with formula one for 2014.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Mr.G

ringo wrote:Rosberg will be beaten even more convincingly this year i feel. If the Pirellis are rock hard and the engines have all that torque, things will play to Hamilton's strengths. The heavier cars also makes braking more critical now.
So i think after 5 years Hamilton has finaly got some semblance of regulations that suit is style somewhat.
Last year was learning the team and the cars. This year i think he's got a handle on things, and will get more instinctual with his driving.

As for the button and magnusses arguement. Button may well put it on pole if it's the best car. I was drawn in by the Kevin hype thanks to mclaren comments when they let go Perez. I think he could be the next big thing. I hope he doesn't flop for his own sake.

You forgot about fuel consumption restriction, which is more likely for Nico than Lewis.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

SilverArrow10

I think that pole may be very important in Melbourne for two particular drivers that currently top the charts above. If Mercedes go into the first corner one and two and carry on with no danger from behind wouldn't the team call off a fight and just put them both in maximum conservation mode, meaning whoever was in front would win. That's what id do if I was the team boss. No fun I know but they will want both cars across the line.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

PlatinumZealot

So why be consevative if the car is 1.5 seconds faster than anything else? I would let them race but issue an order to only overtake at DRS zones.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

SilverArrow10

Because those cars can still break down.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

mikeerfol

n smikle wrote:So why be consevative if the car is 1.5 seconds faster than anything else? I would let them race but issue an order to only overtake at DRS zones.
Weren't they doing that back in Malaysia 2013? :P

turbof1

Yes, but Ross Brawn isn't there anymore. It could well be that Mercedes now actually allows them to race.
#AeroFrodo

Gridlock

Just put a tenner on Bottas for pole ;)

thomin

Obviously Mercedes have made the best impression so far, so one of their drivers seems most likely to be on pole. Then we shouldn't forget Williams who also have shown great pace. And of course Red Bull looks really quick...as long as they're running...If Red Bull goes for a full out lap in qualifying, I could easily see Vettel getting pole. However, if they have to be careful with their engine, then they probably won't do that and risk one of their five power plants this season.

So taking all that into account, I say Rosberg for now...

ironrose

Calm Down ...Felipe Baby... You are P1.. well done

f1316

http://www.oddschecker.com/motorsport/f ... e-position

Not listed in this poll, but at 12-1 I'd probably say Massa's the best potential bet. Ignoring the odds I'd probably take Rosberg.

If I fancied a real punt, I'd say 33-1 on Hulkenberg is pretty good odds.