Gary Anderson predicts F1's pecking order

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
garygph

Re: Gary Anderson predicts F1's pecking order

bhallg2k wrote:That's about the gist of it. They have to be there, so you might as well try to get something from them.
absolutely, which is why I think them having to be there has possibly had an influence on the nose design to gain some benefit. Is it too far a stretch to suggest that the low pressure area below them may help to draw the vortices created by the front wing (to direct the air around on the inside of the tyre) more inwards?

bhall

garygph wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:That's about the gist of it. They have to be there, so you might as well try to get something from them.
absolutely, which is why I think them having to be there has possibly had an influence on the nose design to gain some benefit. Is it too far a stretch to suggest that the low pressure area below them may help to draw the vortices created by the front wing (to direct the air around on the inside of the tyre) more inwards?
I'm no aerodynamacist; I just play one here on F1T. Even so, I don't think any teams have based their nose designs upon potential aerodynamic gains from the camera pods. Their effects are simply too small. That said, teams would be foolish not to be cognizant of those effects anyway, because they are part of the package.

So, you design a nose that best fits your overall aerodynamic strategy, and then you integrate the camera pods into that design as best you can. For some teams, that means camera pods might create a little downforce. For others, they might be used as flow conditioners. Indeed, some may just want them out of the way as much as possible. There's no single solution that's better than all others...yet.

Designs will eventually converge on an ideal layout, and camera pods will likely play a bigger role in that solution than just being draggy sources of grainy video. (They'll have HD!)

CHT
CHT

The pecking order after today race is

Merc (by a big margin)
RBR (Very surprise)
Ferrari (due to Alonso factor)
Mclaren / Williams
Force India
STR
Lotus
Sauber
Caterham
Marussia

marcush.

Why FI so low ? didn´t Hulk end the race in front of both McLaren and Williams this time? Laptimes wise one could easily account the slower Speed of Hulk towards his pit strategy .
But where is the Team without any Major technical Problems through the Weekends yet? We got a big factor of uncertainty back into all this ...like it was in the 80s and 90s when cars dropped out due to technical Problems and a season without any technical dnfs was unheard off .
A big plus for Williams maybe their cars seem to run like trains so far(except for that Koba knock of course)

Sevach

From Autosport
12:08 Meanwhile, Bottas has confirmed to EDD STRAW that he didn't start the race with all 100 kilograms of allowed fuel on board, as the team was confident of not having any consumption worries.

rahulsampath

CHT wrote:The pecking order after today race is

Merc (by a big margin)
RBR (Very surprise)
Ferrari (due to Alonso factor)
Mclaren / Williams
Force India
STR
Lotus
Sauber
Caterham
Marussia
In my opinion, Force India should be above Mclaren and Williams. Throughout the race, Hulk was able to match Ricciardo's time. For instance, Button was around 1.2 sec away from Hulk at the start and by the end of the race they were separated by 38 secs and he was able to keep both Mclarens & Williams behind.

Godius

Hülkenberg finished 36 seconds ahead of the sixth place McLaren, that's quite impressive indeed, especially when you compare the budgets of McLaren and Williams to Force India.

xpensive

At the moment there are only two teams in Formula 1, I hope that will change with the return of the 2.4 V8s next year.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"