Grid Starts 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Callum

Grid Starts 2014

Today, Autosport suggested today that "Rentault-engined cars struggle to get off the line" and that it wouldn't be a surprise to see some of these cars start from the pitlane! I have not heard about this problem. Is this expected to be a serious issue? (This may also become a thread to discuss the starting characteristics of the teams once the season begins)

Jonesy79
Jonesy79

Re: Grid Starts 2014

I've not heard about this problem either but will be interesting to see to what extent it effects starts. Could be an interesting season if it's a big problem!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Jonesy79 wrote:I've not heard about this problem either but will be interesting to see to what extent it effects starts. Could be an interesting season if it's a big problem!
Personally, what I wonder about is that Merc are rumoured to have geared long, and if that's the case, will their starts be compromised.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if they had to start from the pitlane for some other reason...

Per
Per

I don't understand how this could be a problem. A good start is mainly a matter of clutch control. Even if you don't control your ERS systems perfectly, surely the ICE alone can provide more than enough torque to get off the line with just the right amount of wheelspin?

I can imagine there can be problems with the control of the clutch in combination with MGU-H/K but it should be relatively easy to solve softwarewise? Can anyone explain why my thinking could be wrong?

Powershift

Scarbs said that the cars won't be outputting KERS till 100 klicks (same as in years past), so if there is a starting problem it would be clutch or software related, or it could also be a problem with the TERS spinning up the turbo.

At least their slow starts won't be much of safety issue if they are starting near the back anyway from slow qually.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Thankfully this is a strong point for Ferrari. I'm not sure what they do but watching Massa and Alonso last couple of years screaming past before T1 is quite a sight.

flmkane
flmkane

beelsebob wrote:
Jonesy79 wrote:I've not heard about this problem either but will be interesting to see to what extent it effects starts. Could be an interesting season if it's a big problem!
Personally, what I wonder about is that Merc are rumoured to have geared long, and if that's the case, will their starts be compromised.
Could you elaborate? The W05 is traction limited till 5th gear. I dont see how the gearing matters at all in that scenario.