Azerbaijan? Really??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Azerbaijan? Really??

Considering I dislike any urban track, this looks promising

At least until some day there´s an ugly crash and someone pay the lack of exits with his life. It´s amazing how much they care about safety, and how they ignore safety with this sort of tracks. Going 330-340km/h with no exits at all is far from a good idea if you ask me

But looks like there´s a bigger concern than safety, money

wesley123

SectorOne wrote:That looks like crap yes. The greece circuit though looked amazing by comparison.

This one is from the FIA press release, looks a tiny bit different like Turn 7 for example.

Would have been far better if they just removed everything to the right and just let the track be the part on the left. Nothing wrong with a short(er) track from time to time, and not every track needs to have a huge straight, either.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ciro Pabón

Well, a track need a straight where the cars can start. As cars have to be separated at least 5 meters and you have 22 cars, you need 110 meters.

Yes, I know that's not much. You probably could fit it in the left part of circuit, right?

Now, follow me, please.

If you are going to race GP2 and GP3 series on Saturday (and probably you will) the number of cars increase to twice that amount. This means 220 meters.

Well, no big deal again.

You must design boxes for, again 22 cars minimum and 40 probably.You have to accommodate a garage with space for two cars eleven times (more like 20 for the feeder series) and you have to have like 20 persons working around each car, so pit boxes cannot be less than 10 meters or so.

Same distance, around two or three blocks.

People in stands, right at the straight will find hard to spend one thousand bucks to see cars for a couple of seconds every 2 minutes. At 300 kph a car spends one second to move 80 meters or so.

Even that can be accommodated in the left portion, I concede.

You also want to have some distance to the first curve or the start would be really, really funny. The cars at the back would arrive faster to the curve than the guys that qualified in first place. So, if you don't provide a distance for the leaders to accelerate, you would have bunched cars at the exit.

That's like 400 meters, give or take.

What? Six or seven blocks total? It still fits.

Of course, you want some distance from the last curve to the starting line, because you have to have a pit lane with enough distance to decelerate. Add another 200 or 300 meters.

All this means that a decent straight under one kilometer is hard to come by.

Yes, I know Monaco is exempt, but, hey, it's Monaco.

Finally, I would say one of two things, with all due respect, Wesley.

Let me explain I don't want to offend anyone.

Straights are places where you can rest a bit. It's very, very hard for your head and ribs to turn all the time.

So, either you don't race yet or you are Iron Man.

I'm old and wasted, have cracked ribs and a few scars that hurt, so it's not wonder that these days practically the only place I can race is in a straight, preferably driving a hearse.

So, you are perfectly justified to disagree with me, even if you haven't raced competitively.

However, you could follow my drift for a second and understand quite easily that even young drivers are not made of steel. If you take out the right part of the circuit, many drivers would hate you.

At least I would. After 40 years of karting this is my ideal series: Hearse Drag
Ciro

f1316

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/formula ... et-circuit

It's a ridiculous 'race track' really, and yet I'm actually quite excited to see the cars going past some of the landmarks and on some of the very narrow roads.

I almost think there should be a new/different street circuit each year, but for only one year, just for the novelty. Montreal, Melbourne and of course Monaco can stay (maybe Singapore) but the rest have to fill the rotating slot.

None of what I just said is practical but whatever - I can muse!

Tim.Wright

There were some insanely high speed corners given it's a street circuit. I thought their top speed estimate of 340km/h was a bit on the high side but this track is proper mental.

I can already hear the drivers sooking about it being too dangerous...
Not the engineer at Force India

strad

For a street circuit which I don't usually care for, this one looks fairly passable .. Might even be some fun parts.
Still a lot of 90s but there are some curvy parts.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Cuky

Onboard lap at Baku.

zac510

Cuky wrote:Onboard lap at Baku.
Whoa, that looks awesome!

This is subjective but I feel this is quite a boldly designed track for F1, by the standards of the last decade or so. I hope it goes well.
No good turn goes unpunished.

zac510

The map posted earlier in this thread is incorrect.

A proper map/circuit layout is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku_City ... s-rev1.png

source: Wikipedia.

Gaz.

zac510 wrote:
Whoa, that looks awesome!

This is subjective but I feel this is quite a boldly designed track for F1, by the standards of the last decade or so. I hope it goes well.
Agreed, that looks 100 times better than I thought it would. I'm still not sure how the racing will go but qualifying will be epic, like a mash up of Marina Bay, Monte Carlo and something from Gran Tourismo, in fast forward.
Forza Jules

wesley123

Oh, a very long straight, a few 90 degree corners, a chicane and a slower tight section, haven't seen that before...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Big Mangalhit

wesley123 wrote:Oh, a very long straight, a few 90 degree corners, a chicane and a slower tight section, haven't seen that before...
Agreed, there is no loop, no crossing of a lake, no dirt section and worse of all no final jump over a grand stand. disappointing as usual

hollus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgAET0KczI
Really nice video. Watch it in youtube at 1.5 or 2 times the speed for a more realistic view of what it will be like for F1.
The feeling of speed is going to be awesome with all those objects close to the track to the sides and above. That is the difference between and (old) fast lap of Monaco in 1:22 and a (new) slow lap of Monaco in 1:15.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... lit=camera
Rivals, not enemies.

Manoah2u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgAET0KczI
i'll put my serious disgust and criticism about the way Azerbaijan government handles human rights,
not that that would make it much different to Bahrain or Russia for that matter - and look at the actual track.

WOW that is amazing! I'm inclined to say i'm actually thinking this is the best track ever!
The scenery is amazing, it breathes classic Formula 1 city street racing, and reminds me a lot of Monaco, but,
i'm almost inclined to say it might even look better than Monaco.
Those monumental buildings look fantastic and especially since it's all so superbly close to the track!
The tight section is phenomenal! that is really really tight but really exciting.

It also somehow reminds me of some GRID racetracks. I like it, i like it a lot, i like it insanely much!

I'd love a las vegas city track if it's in the same sense as this one, but that's another story.

Really liking this track, cant wait to see the Grand Prix

only thing i've noticed, is it me, or is it the formula car, or is the track really really bumpy?!!! that could cause some problems
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"