Female Drivers making the starting grid?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mnmracer
mnmracer

Re: Female Drivers making the starting grid?

WillerZ wrote:
krisfx wrote:
WillerZ wrote:I wager women have the same (or worse) trouble getting sponsors.
I disagree, women in racing are less common, most motorsport fans are male so advertising with a female driver makes things a lot easier to get coverage.
It doesn't really work like that until they are in F1, at which point they don't have so much need of personal sponsors. Getting there is where all the money needs to be spent: drivers need to find €5M for a GP2 seat. If you want me, as a businessman, to pony up that kind of cash you need to be able to show that I can expect to get €5M of value out of it. You can't realise that from GP2 alone: your only hope of getting that back is if the driver to get to F1 and retain your logo on his collar for a season or two, and do a good job while there. That could be worth maybe €25M, so you need to persuade me it's a 20% or better shot.

When there had been no successful black drivers in F1 ever, that was a hard sell for Lewis. While there have been no successful female drivers in F1 ever, this remains a hard sell for ladies in the lower formulae.
Instead of jumping to conclusions, let's just wait until there is an actual practical case to be made of alleged discrimination. Right now it's just ifs and buts, with the only thing actually holding back the female drivers in the running right now is simply talent. Not because they're women, but because they're human, just like all those other drivers that are simply not talented enough.

Sebp

Maybe we need more of this first:

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 20#p493420

Does anyone know of more female mechanics active in F1 today? Are there female engineers in top positions in the teams at present?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

schick
schick

It ain't gonna happen folks, I've been following F1 since the 50's and no female has even remotely looked like being capable, as for Danica Patrick cutting the mustard you must be joking? as for Susie Wolfe, seriously, we know why she is there. As my countryman Alan Jones once said "the bedroom or the kitchen but stay out of F1" brutal it may be but his honesty was never questioned.

Sebp

"honesty" #-o

Community writers should mine this thread for Pierce Hawthorne quotes.
Pierce Hawthorne wrote:Sexually harassing? That makes no sense to me. Why would I harass someone that turns me on?

McG

In the next decade yes there is a chance. But there still doesn't seem to be enough women coming through. Wolff has chance if Massa or Bottas can't drive for whatever reason. But then again Williams might choose someone completely different just like Lotus did when they took Kovalainen.
F1 is dead.

SectorOne

There was a time when a black driver in F1 was laughable. Or a black world champion for that matter.

If we flipped the world around a bit and Africa was the center of the earth and the western world was a third world, Formula 1 would probably consist of 70-80% black people.

For girls it´s the same deal. When karting consists of 99.9% males you are gonna have a Formula 1 consisting of 99.9% males because the males have a much stronger chance of making it all the way.

5 slow women in Karting means death. 5 slow men in karting means nothing since there´s another 2000 males to choose from.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

noname
noname

Sebp wrote:Does anyone know of more female mechanics active in F1 today? Are there female engineers in top positions in the teams at present?
Not sure about F1, but Audi has female race engineer, Leena Gade, and she's damn good.
There were also plenty of female mechanics last year at Le Mans.

bdr529

It's hard enough for any driver to make it though the lower ranks all the way to F1. You start draining the water and the pool can get shallow pretty fast, its like asking why only 2 Canadians have made it into F1 (excluding the hand full that had a race or 2 usually the CDN gp), Sure the pool is frozen half the year but you would think it would be more then 2.

I have no doubt it will happen some day, it's just a numbers game and there just to few girls in karting or the lowest formula series to make an impact on the upper classes, Its just going to take time and opportunity and things like this should help

Volkswagen had a race academe for female drivers last year, the winner got a seat in this years Scirocco R-Cup series
http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/in ... id=723&L=1 .
The FIA has a "Women in Motorsports" campaign http://www.fia.com/node/1194

Sebp

A couple of calculations:

35 000 000 / 7 000 000 000 = 0,005 (Canada)

3 500 000 000 / 7 000 000 000 = 0,5 (Women)

SectorOne

Sebp wrote:A couple of calculations:

35 000 000 / 7 000 000 000 = 0,005 (Canada)

3 500 000 000 / 7 000 000 000 = 0,5 (Women)
Means absolutely nothing though.

That´s like me saying Asians stand for 60% of the world´s population and therefore F1 should have 60% Asian people.
You need to look at the grassroots of Motorsport, not the population as a whole.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

I don't see whats the whole fuss about this blatantly commercial and irrelevant issue. F1 is a western driven sport and let's be clear about it: no poor, women repressing western country has a say in F1 (or at least until recently, when in name of "diversity" F1 has started to accept money from some repressing places). Women in rich, west countries are HUGELY and OBVIOUSLY and almost UNDENIABLY over privileged, over represented and a fake minority with fake problems. They are majority, they receive the same rights and those rights are damn well protected and respected. Legally and socially, women got WAY more attention, representation and protection than men in those places.

If anyone tries to say that no, there's no other way to put: misinformed and manipulated (like most "educated" western rich white and soft males, who are brainwashed to feel guilty by being male and white). Its an active, planned and admitted way of acting in those societies to have those instruments GUARANTEEING women being "more equal than men" in the name of "correcting the inequalities and injustices" towards women.

Not only women on those societies have the same rights, as a result of this process, they can not only have the same jobs and the same treatment and salary. They can also receive opportunities and incentives by legal and practical ways that men don't have access to. And they can also retain all the historical upsides of being a women while not compromising on anything, leaving the bulk of the "sexism" burden HUGELY ON MEN and not women. They retained the right to choose, the better treatment, the free access to places, the guard of the kids, the extra physical and moral protection of the society towards them while maintaining NONE of the tradeoffs of yore (like having to obey men or being second places in some parts of the society).

I'm not saying they shouldn't have equal rights and that they should be forced to accept the tradeoffs of yore. But I'm damn sure saying they have gone over the top and reached for a sexist society IN THEY BENEFIT (as opposed to the past). Difference is, they make us think this is the right way and it's beautiful and unquestionable and that this bulls*it is actual EQUALITY. At least we had the b*lls (obviously :lol: ) to admit it wasn't equal in our time.

What I want to say afterall? Well, they are not in anyway restricted to do motorsports. Legally they are not and this right is hugely protected by society and the laws. If any attempt to impede a women to compete in a racing series was made, legal action with favorable results would be flying all over. Plus, THERE IS HUGE INTEREST commercially and politically to have a women driver. US is filled with driver women who are GARBAGE in MAJOR racing series by the obvious reason that it's commercially VERY ATTRACTIVE.

So, if you have the right to do it, MUCH MORE BACK UP from sponsors and society, and a fan base of males who would probably love to see a girl racing, if you can't make it, IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT. If you suck, like most people do (and girls suck even more, let me assure you) in your driving and lap times, go do something else. Stop pulling this tiring LIE that "it was sexism" (and even racism, in a smaller scale). It's a numbers sport, you do your fast lap faster than everyone else and you have a place no matter who you are. Sponsors might be a problem though, but CERTAINLY not for women
Roland Ehnström wrote:This is all very easy to say being a white male, is it not? I'm a white male as well, but at least I am not blind.
I'm sure you are not blind, otherwise being in a forum would be difficult. But you are Swedish and white, so you have been educated (maybe more than any other group in the planet) to feel like being a men is always a privilege and women are always at disadvantage and you should feel guilty for it. And hey, don't worry, your country will welfare you to the point you think this is cool, that you live in the best country in the world, and that you are blind to the FACT your women are spoiled and over represented and this is used as a political hook :roll:

I'm also sure you have NEVER been in a racing series, even an amateur one. It's the LAPTIMES. It's all that matters in competitive racing. I've seen a lot "unprivileged" people trump over the "bigoted, rapist white male" in racing. I live in a country with a mixed population and in lower racing series I've seen with my own eyes people who where not rich, not white and not man move up the ladder (and even get sponsors!) while the "always privileged" kind got left behind. Most are indeed white, becouse most of the rich population is like this here and this is a sport where you need money to start. But those who actually make it, MUST pull the proper LAPTIME

Most are also men, not becouse of sexism, but becouse most women can't give two sh*ts about motorsport. "Social roles" you say? What's the next excuse? Social roles are not forced anymore, it's not our fault if THEY SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO BE IN RACING

Want more girls racing? It's indifferent for me, I don't see any (ABSOLUTELY ANY) reason why there should be or there shoudn't be girls racing in F1. But this is a start: tell the western whiny, over privileged, over represented, OVER EQUALED, boring, inept, mostly skanky women population to actually be good at racing. Sponsors and seats will come! It's very simple! :D

Motosport is a place where political riff raff has little place, only money getting in the way of LAPTIMES. LAPTIMES are what do the talking. No one cares if you are sexist or feminist or black supremacist or KKK. If you are SLOWER you don't get in. Heck, I can't get in as in a qualy lap I'm slower than many people. Why should a girl have the OVER PRIVILEGE to make it if she is even slower?

Equal rights. You asked for it! =D>
Sebp wrote:It's the old "you can do anything if you try hard enough"-lie in denial of a certain amount of luck.
Nope, it's the old, it must be luck or some privilege or because it's a men (if white, 2 times that, and must be a racist as well). You can't do anything if you try hard enough. You are right. Luck is necessary for ANYONE and not everyone is up to some tasks. If you can't do fast laps, YOU CAN'T BE A F1 RACING DRIVER. Most women are too bad in motorsports even in lower categories. FACE IT. We, white, racist, sexist, over privileged men can't do multitasking like any average chick can do. They almost never can pull fast times like men can do. Each sex has their abilities and roles. "Constructed" social roles, prejudice and sexism are only true to some point. Fact is we are not equal, by a huge mile. It's not a problem, it's just the way it is

It's not a men/women issue only also. Black athletes have SCIENTIFICALLY proven advantages in some sports compared to the vast majority of people from other races. Asians have blatant advantage in small, precise movements compared to most of other races. Whites are usually better in sports where physical and mental endurance is more important than outright strength or ability. Women are great rational beings mostly and by nature while men are mostly on the more wishful and strong (physically) side

Not to say you can't have a great female racer, a rational and multitasking men, a strong boxing asian or a black athlete with more mental power than a physical advantage. It's just that more people of some kind have some characteristics. And when you reach a level such as F1 or Olympics, your performance is being compared to the best of the best of the best. You may be an excellent black acrobat, for instance. But will you be better than the chinese girl who is the best among a whole nation/race of excellent acrobats? YOU MAY BE! But statistically you will be one in millions or billions, so it's OBVIOUSLY natural that you will see more asian acrobats winning than any other race. It's not a conspiracy, or sexism, or prejudice, or a "social role" every f*cking time!
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

SectorOne

Your agenda is incorrect.

Sebp

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:I hate women and my Mama didn't love me.

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

SectorOne wrote:Your agenda is incorrect.
True, I overreacted a bit. Should have just asked who is going to cook the lunch while this discussion is in place :lol:
Sebp wrote:
Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:I hate women and my Mama didn't love me.
If we are going to catch phrases, the one that has some truth is actually this:
Sebp wrote:I'm over privileged western girl and I must have all the priority in everything/I'm western male and I must keep the brainwash, I'm afraid I can't get any action if I say the truth
It's always impressive how predictable are the answers for those facts. Resistance is futile, you can't argue blatant truths so you have to answer with old, repeated catch phrases. I will keep it in a joking tone so that I don't start offending you (you offended a very loving mother I have, one that didn't need "special women politics" to live) so here it goes: WHERE IS MY SANDWICH?????

BTW, I don't hate women, in fact I like them more than they deserve. I do hate pointless western rich country feminism and the current "everything is a social cause/political debate/injustice" way of thinking
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

dobbster71

It's a shame that MM didn't give F1 a try. Now, she could drive......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnmkeyraRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb4DILvSG9o
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen