2014 F1 television coverage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

2014 F1 television coverage

I'm curious what the TV coverage situation is in various countries.
My interest is mainly triggered by yesterday's announcement that in Belgium, Telenet bought 3 year F1 rights. As such, you'd need their decoder, and a €17/month fee for their sports channels. Public TV will only broadcast summaries of the races late on Sunday.

I have also seen on twitter that there are some positive impressions on MovistarF1 or something. Has coverage in Spain changes too?

It seems like more and more countries are adopting the BBC vs Sky model...

Blanchimont

Re: 2014 F1 television coverage

Wikipedia has an overview of the TV rights http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... oadcasters

Don't know if it's entirely correct, i just checked it for Germany.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

rjsa

OK for Brazil too.

Sebp

For free we've got RTL in Germany, as usual. :roll:
And there's Sky for those willing to pay.

Luckily I have have KabelBW which includes SF2 from Switzerland who have a well informed commentator with Michael Stäuble. As a sidekick he has Sebastien Buemi. Sauber is mentioned a lot, which can be a bit annoying at times. Apart from that the team is very neutral...being Swiss and all. :D
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Richard

It'll not be long before we get online pay per event. In the UK the cheapest option is the Sky online app.

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/201 ... p-in-2014/

Actually the cheapest option is to watch half the races on the BBC for free and spend time with the family for the Sky races - that saves the cost of a divorce!

Cuky

Wikipedia is correct for Croatia. It is not cheap, as it costs 75HRK/month (~10€) a month for MAXtv, 35HRK/month (4-5€) for Auto-Moto program pack in which that MAX GP channel is and than extra 45HRK/month (5-6€) for those channels to be available in HD. And we still have to pay 60 or 70 HRK/month for our national TV whether we watch it or not. So 225HRK/month (~30€) for a channel where you have 2 guys who present weeks old news as exclusive and who are explaining tire graining every single race for 10 years now...it is too much. Free would be too much for quality of broadcast we get.

el-Magico

In the Netherlands you can see F1 at Sport1 in HD.
Source

You can take a subscription for the entire season or you pay per race.

You can only receive this channel behind a decoder either from Ziggo or from UPC(Liberty Global)
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Jef Patat

Steven wrote:I'm curious what the TV coverage situation is in various countries.
My interest is mainly triggered by yesterday's announcement that in Belgium, Telenet bought 3 year F1 rights. As such, you'd need their decoder, and a €17/month fee for their sports channels. Public TV will only broadcast summaries of the races late on Sunday.

I have also seen on twitter that there are some positive impressions on MovistarF1 or something. Has coverage in Spain changes too?

It seems like more and more countries are adopting the BBC vs Sky model...
I'm not willing to pay for Telenet. Commentators will be the same as last years VT4/Vier. They plainly suck at it, miss half of the details and have no closer info than watching the broadcast. You're way better of with RTBF (agreed, it's French, but I prefer understanding half of a decent comment above understanding everything of stupid comments) or BBC.

I'm also not sure what Telenet will do when F1 happens simultaneously with some big soccer event. Not willing to pay for delayed broadcast at all.

BTW, you can also take a daypass @ 10euro for the races that are not on BBC

Edit: BTW2: didn't know F1Technical was Belgium based, thumbs up! =D> (from Aalst myself)
Last edited by Jef Patat on 13 Mar 2014, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Jef Patat wrote: I'm not willing to pay for Telenet. Commentators will be the same as last years VT4/Vier. They plainly suck at it, miss half of the details and have no closer info than watching the broadcast. You're way better of with RTBF (agreed, it's French, but I prefer understanding half of a decent comment above understanding everything of stupid comments) or BBC.

I'm also not sure what Telenet will do when F1 happens simultaneously with some big soccer event. Not willing to pay for delayed broadcast at all.

BTW, you can also take a daypass @ 10euro for the races that are not on BBC
Yeah every race we have Chris Wouters saying "DRS weet je wel, het systeem waarbij ze het vleugeltje plat leggen" "ze rijden over de marbles zodat de wagen hoger ligt" and other crap.

RTBF is relative ok, so are the german channels. I personally prefer 'other' ways though.
#AeroFrodo

Jef Patat

turbof1 wrote:I personally prefer 'other' ways though.
care to elaborate on that one?

basti313

For everyone who can receive Astra 19.2 I can only recommend ORF1. At least this year there is a working crack and the commentary is outstanding with Alex Wurz. No rubbish fan-talking about German or English drivers like on RTL or BBC, just original Austrian.
Don`t russel the hamster!

turbof1

Jef Patat wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I personally prefer 'other' ways though.
care to elaborate on that one?
streaming websites start to provide decent video quality. There's the issue of whether it is legal or not, so I will not further get down to it. But I do feel a large portion of the f1 viewers in Belgium will get to that.
#AeroFrodo

Godius

el-Magico wrote:In the Netherlands you can see F1 at Sport1 in HD.
Source

You can take a subscription for the entire season or you pay per race.

You can only receive this channel behind a decoder either from Ziggo or from UPC(Liberty Global)
Also via KPN (Fiber-optic communication), but the amount of bang for the buck that you get with sport1 is marginal in comparison to SKY for example. Sport1 offers things in which I'm totally not interested, like; Golf, Basketball and Tennis. Sky, for example, offers HQ F1, lots of major Football competitions and so on...

el-Magico

Godius wrote: Also via KPN (Fiber-optic communication), but the amount of bang for the buck that you get with sport1 is marginal in comparison to SKY for example. Sport1 offers things in which I'm totally not interested, like; Golf, Basketball and Tennis. Sky, for example, offers HQ F1, lots of major Football competitions and so on...
Is it possible to receive SKY-Sports in the Netherlands?
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

zonk

Polish fans are really screwed. The company MP & Silva are apparently still negotiating with Polsat

For the moment only ways are:
RTL ( from satellite Astra or cable in German and a lot of commercials :( ) Quali and race Live
Sport 1 ( from satellite Astra or cable in German former DSF ) practice 2 live and highlights
Idman TV form satellite Azerspace 1( Azerbaijan TV )
TV Nova and TV Fanda ( close to border Czech TV )
Markiza ( close to border Slovak TV )
Russia 2 ( close to border Russia TV )

or Streams..