2014 F1 television coverage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kalinka

Re: 2014 F1 television coverage

It's correct for Serbia and Hungary too. I'm lucky that I can choose which I want . Sadly the commentary is not that good, so sometimes when I get annoyed I choose some (illegal) streaming channel, which is usually poor quality and not too reliable, but easy to find. BBC or Sky is always avaliable that way :wink:

turbof1

There are discussions ongoing about whether or not viewing streams is illegal. Uploading them is anyhow illegal, but there are astoundingly loads of argument in favor for and against viewing it, juridically speaking.

F1technical isn't and shouldn't be promoting this. I think referring that you do it is fine, as long as no links or website mentions come along. Just out of curiosity, and to try to break the taboo, who does this often as an alternative to pay tv?
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

turbof1 wrote:There are discussions ongoing about whether or not viewing streams is illegal. Uploading them is anyhow illegal, but there are astoundingly loads of argument in favor for and against viewing it, juridically speaking.

F1technical isn't and shouldn't be promoting this. I think referring that you do it is fine, as long as no links or website mentions come along. Just out of curiosity, and to try to break the taboo, who does this often as an alternative to pay tv?
I do it all the time for the last 4 years. While here in slovenia HD broadcast is free on national television, it's flooded with commercial breaks and really awful commentary, so it's a no go. The other option is RTL but my german is not good enough to follow.

Really no other alternatives.

blokkie

In belgium we could see the races for free on television with a fairly good commentary. Dutch comments by racers and french commentary by F1 driver http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9r%C ... 27Ambrosio .. it was kind of nice.

Now .. unfortunately on the flemish chanel the F1 broadcast rights have been aquiered by telenet (http://snap.telenet.be/goed-om-weten/ar ... ng-telenet) but with exactly the same commentators like last year .. when it was for free .

Sucks big time :(

blokkie

turbof1 wrote:There are discussions ongoing about whether or not viewing streams is illegal. Uploading them is anyhow illegal, but there are astoundingly loads of argument in favor for and against viewing it, juridically speaking.
I think most streams that are available are from betting sites that get "forwarded/redirected/restreamed" .
Same happens to football and other sports where one has to pay to watch.

So in all .. I don't think the streams are iligal if you have a betting account.

Blanchimont

blokkie wrote:I think most streams that are available are from betting sites that get "forwarded/redirected/restreamed".
Do you know any betting sites that provide legal F1 streams?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

turbof1

Only post links you are absolutely sure are legal. If there's any doubt, then refrain from doing it.

It's more or less reasonable for (known) betting sites to have streams coupled to (I assume premium) accounts. Be aware though, some might just link through to dodgy streaming sites. Keep the latter stuff certainly away!
#AeroFrodo

blokkie

Blanchimont wrote:
blokkie wrote:I think most streams that are available are from betting sites that get "forwarded/redirected/restreamed".
Do you know any betting sites that provide legal F1 streams?
bwin.com
bet365

I think if you google you'll find some

sssarel

Correct for South Africa as well. One company provides all our sport, with commentary from the world feed, and pre-race discussions by local racers and personalities. Costs for the premium package (The only one that contains sport) is around R750/month, which is around 50-60 € / month. At least all sessions are in HD.

turbof1

Steven wrote:I'm curious what the TV coverage situation is in various countries.
My interest is mainly triggered by yesterday's announcement that in Belgium, Telenet bought 3 year F1 rights. As such, you'd need their decoder, and a €17/month fee for their sports channels. Public TV will only broadcast summaries of the races late on Sunday.

I have also seen on twitter that there are some positive impressions on MovistarF1 or something. Has coverage in Spain changes too?

It seems like more and more countries are adopting the BBC vs Sky model...
Just want to get back to this, there's almost no real incentive for belgian people to switch to the paymodel of Telenet: they offer more or less the same as the Walloon channel: no free practices, not different presentators with more expertise. The only thing you'll get are a few camera viewpoints, a view on the pitlane and a livetiming channel.

French speaking will keep watching La Deux/La Une. Dutch speaking people will just switch to those channels or to the German RTL, or to streaming services.

I have to say this is a brilliant move in terms of education. A lot of Flemish people could spice up either their English, German or French with this.
#AeroFrodo

BanMeToo

I always torrent a high definition recording of Sky's broadcast a few hours after the checkered flag. NBC Sports' coverage is riddled with commercial breaks and the commentary is intended for grade-school children, largely ruining my enjoyment of a Grand Prix. I do suffer their Practice and Qualifying coverage, usually.

Jef Patat

blokkie wrote:In belgium we could see the races for free on television with a fairly good commentary. Dutch comments by racers and french commentary by F1 driver http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9r%C ... 27Ambrosio .. it was kind of nice.

Now .. unfortunately on the flemish chanel the F1 broadcast rights have been aquiered by telenet (http://snap.telenet.be/goed-om-weten/ar ... ng-telenet) but with exactly the same commentators like last year .. when it was for free .

Sucks big time :(
Fairly good comment? That highly depends on what you call fairly good. I call them rubbish. I tend to be with turbof1 on this one. Once in a while I put it on Vier (just because the wife wants Dutch) and I immediately feel very smart, which I'm not, I'm not professionally involved in racing at all. What's the point of Wouters just telling what you can view. Foreign channels can be much more informative.

WALL_ZACK

In Australia, all races & quali are live on free to air (Channel 10 or Channel One depending on the round) with the Sky Sports Brundle et al commentary. We don't get the extended pre race or Friday coverage but not too bad for free...

Interestingly, they're streaming coverage on their website (http://tenplay.com.au/sport/formula-1/live-stream) and their TENplay app for Melbourne, but it's not clear if that'll happen for the whole season. Hope they do...

By the way, first post from a long time reader... I waste so much time reading stuff here :)

lebesset

turbof1 wrote:
Steven wrote:I'm curious what the TV coverage situation is in various countries.
My interest is mainly triggered by yesterday's announcement that in Belgium, Telenet bought 3 year F1 rights. As such, you'd need their decoder, and a €17/month fee for their sports channels. Public TV will only broadcast summaries of the races late on Sunday.

I have also seen on twitter that there are some positive impressions on MovistarF1 or something. Has coverage in Spain changes too?

It seems like more and more countries are adopting the BBC vs Sky model...
Just want to get back to this, there's almost no real incentive for belgian people to switch to the paymodel of Telenet: they offer more or less the same as the Walloon channel: no free practices, not different presentators with more expertise. The only thing you'll get are a few camera viewpoints, a view on the pitlane and a livetiming channel.

French speaking will keep watching La Deux/La Une. Dutch speaking people will just switch to those channels or to the German RTL, or to streaming services.

I have to say this is a brilliant move in terms of education. A lot of Flemish people could spice up either their English, German or French with this.
I can only say that I am currently in spain surounded by lots of flemish speaking belgians , and almost without exception they speak good english , german , and some french ; on the other hand , in the walloon part of belgium [ where I visit regularly as my brother lives there ] they speak ....french ! [ with a belgian accent ]

re TV in spain , antena3 ...free to view .. haven't shown FP1 or FP2 but tomorrow will be showing FP3 , preview, race live , then repeating it to show the race at 2pm ; FP1 and FP2 were shown live free on a channel not available where I am
next race....will move to catalonia ....everything free to view there at a more reasonable hour .....not looking forward to being up at 6.30 to watch qually tomorrow ; somebody has to do it though , it's a tough life , got to make up for missing pre-season this year , jerez was too early to be worthwhile
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be