Are RedBull always first in line to Renault updates?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Are RedBull always first in line to Renault updates?

basti313 wrote: There is no evidence for that and the engines of the other teams run perfect when they don't kill them with non software related issues.
And as stated: FIA has clearly forbidden a custom mapping for RedBull half a year ago.
This mapping that you speak of is TOTALLY unrelated to the engine software being discussed. You are talking about cold blowing and EBD and changeable engine maps from qually to race.. that has nothing to do the 2014 ERS control software which may or may not be custom to each team and separate and apart from the standard maclaren engine control software. The ERS software communicates withe SECU but it is a standalone system.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

basti313
basti313

n smikle wrote: This mapping that you speak of is TOTALLY unrelated to the engine software being discussed. You are talking about cold blowing and EBD and changeable engine maps from qually to race..
No, I am not. Redbull wanted its own engine mapping and battery for the V6T under the brand Infinity and was not allowed to use it. There was an article in AMuS about that.

And changing maps from qualli to race is still not allowed.
n smikle wrote: that has nothing to do the 2014 ERS control software which may or may not be custom to each team and separate and apart from the standard maclaren engine control software. The ERS software communicates withe SECU but it is a standalone system.
You can argue about how we call it, but I am talking about the whole PU software.
Don`t russel the hamster!

zack!
zack!

What 's new about this software affair, last private bharain tests seem very strange. RBR/STR PU seems to work, CTR and LTR are regressing with bad perfromance and engine failures... Something unclear...

rajveesahani
rajveesahani

No i am not agree with this question but i think the red bulls always be first in line for renault updates.

zack!
zack!

In term of regulations, to what extend a PU of an engine manufacturer can be adapted / customized for a client racing team ?

I assume there is "one" type certificate by manufacturer, but the scope of the certification (the unique specification) is only the "core" of the PU.

I undertstand, the exhaust, the ES/accu/battery, are not "belonging" to the PU (because some team tune these parts aven if they have the same PU).

But what is the status of PU software, more grey area for me ?

I know the content shall fit into certified "ECU" computer, and be placed under FIA control (deposit + integrity / configuration check toward ECU content), and subject to restrictions (throttle mappings , ABS algorythms, traction control algorythms, etc).

But, is the sofware "part" of the PU ? Can Lotus replace the Renault soft for example? Can renault develop several flavor of this soft for its clients (either to favor one, or because of customization/exploitation specificities?)

PlatinumZealot

I think the ERS software in unregulated. It's just too new for FIA to regulate it. Even in the regs, we don't see restrictions on Battery charging, discharging, mGu-H charging discharging methods as we see for throttle maps the ICE. Just my gut feeling that so far the teams are free to program the ERS however they want as long as they keep within the discharge/charge limits.

On the topic of RedBull getting the most attention from Renault.. did anyone notice the Media Release of the Renault unit has the same "flat" exhaust Layout that the RB-10 has? The other Renault teams have more conventional headers... This goes to show the the Renault PU was developed with heavily weighted input from RedBull's chassis team.

First Images of Renault Energy F1 engine... look at how the exhaust pipes are routed...

Engine as installed in the RB10 - note the exhaust headers:

PlatinumZealot

How the exhausts affect the floor.

iotar__

Crosspost from Lotus thread. Fairly obvious for a long time third grade engine support and units:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 12910.html
I don't how precise this is but let's say "it's reaching" 30 hp.

Behold new wonderful age of engine technology. It's a gigantic arrogance and hypocrisy from FIA/Eccleston/manufacturers that subject of unequal treatment and chances for anyone but three (four) teams to compete doesn't exist. After scrapping cost control they pretend to do something about with fake weak attempts (ride-height) and this part is not even a concern. Whereas engine noise - huge problem (also pretending to something about).