How many races will Mercedes win this season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

How many of the remaining races will Mercedes win this season?

Poll ended at 28 Mar 2014, 13:15

All of them
8%
13-17
19%
7-12
56%
1-6
17%

Total votes: 126

Miguel

Re: How many races will Mercedes win this season?

Well, Mercedes have already won 6 races, with 5 *consecutive* 1-2. A full sweep doesn't look entirely unlikely even with Suzuka in the calendar. However, I wonder if they'll achieve more 1-2 than any other constructor in a season.

After some wikibrowsing, the F2002 has 9/17 one-two's, 5 of them consecutive. The F2004 has 8/18 (only 3 consecutive). The FW14B, only 6. The MP4-4, 10/16 (4 consecutive). Red Bull never got that many, despite their dominance (4 in a season was their maximum, I believe). I haven't checked further back in time, but I can't see any other car being so high, due to reliability. OK, I checked the Mercedes W196, which had 4/7 (6 & Indy 500), but they also had more than two cars per team.

In short, it seems a Mercedes 1-2 in Canada will give them the record for the longest 1-2 streak ever. I'm also willing to bet Mercedes will beat this year the MP4-4's record of total number of 1-2's in a season. It's never seemed more feasible, but maybe I should wait until Ferrari's Canada package (ha ha ha).
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

iotar__

Re: How many races will Mercedes win this season?

I expect that anyone that predicted correctly with informed guess and confirmed it with a post should receive no less than one hundred "points". Anyone - naming no names - that would be bragging.
Conclusion: 1. Correct answer 19% of votes, 2. This kind of Merc dominance was expected at a level of around 25% (let's say for simplicity) after first race of the season.