What can be done to make the engine louder?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phil

Re: What can be done to make the engine louder?

To be honest, I don't really see an issue with them trying to artificially alter the sound. Sure, not if you're a purist, but otherwise... don't Ferrari, as a car manufacturer, actually spend a lot of time and resources developing the sound of their cars to the point that it's even a bit artificial? Right or wrong, Ferrari's have always sounded extremely spectacular. Hearing a 360CS is quite out of this world, if you've ever heard one!

In F1, this might be a bit more complex, as you don't have a muffler and the exhaust is basically just a straight pipe, so less you can work with to shape the sound.....
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

langwadt

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

sweetmate wrote:Better way to fix the noise get rid of the rev limit add maybe a little more fuel to the restriction and take away one of the allotted engines for the year.
none of teams run near the rev limit so what would increasing it accomplish?
Some of the teams are not even using their full 100kg allowance so why would they add fuel they are not going to use?

if you want them to run higher rpms you have to change the fuel flow formula, but they have spend year optimizing
for ~10krpms, you can't just tell them - by the way you have to run at 15krpm and expect that to work

take away an engine and you expect them to drive harder?

sweetmate

langwadt wrote:
sweetmate wrote:Better way to fix the noise get rid of the rev limit add maybe a little more fuel to the restriction and take away one of the allotted engines for the year.
none of teams run near the rev limit so what would increasing it accomplish?
Some of the teams are not even using their full 100kg allowance so why would they add fuel they are not going to use?

if you want them to run higher rpms you have to change the fuel flow formula, but they have spend year optimizing
for ~10krpms, you can't just tell them - by the way you have to run at 15krpm and expect that to work

take away an engine and you expect them to drive harder?
you have stated the exact reason the cars have ended up being optimized at around the 10k rpm with coupled with the turbos and all other stuff make them sound so limp the cars should have been able to work at there full rpm capacity no fuel flow limit just kg allowance end off and allowed engine design to progress. They would have sounded so much better.

siskue2005

bhall wrote:
Holm86 wrote:http://www.mobypicture.com/user/piusgas ... w/16896640 <-- sound of the new megaphone exhaust.
LOL

It sounds like a semi-truck (lorry).
Can't really judge from a mobile phone camera sound, would like them to test it at a gp weekend on Friday
Moreover he was just going slow in that video
But still that exhaust looks wrong

notsofast

Less noise is a good thing.

siskue2005

another video, it is the same sound but much louder....and also he is just cruising around ...not at all pushing in that corner
i will not judge the new sound until i hear a full lap on 100% pushing the engine
Last edited by siskue2005 on 14 May 2014, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

siskue2005

notsofast wrote:Less noise is a good thing.
yeah maybe in a class room, not on a race track :wink:

Giblet

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Bredd

Maybe tweaking the engine rules might help. Say they relax the fuel limits. Have the amount being able to be produced from the electrical part of the engine unlimited. Use the recovery systems as pure engine power and allow anti lag systems . Might be possible.

Mamba

bhall wrote:
prince wrote:If we understand correctly, they are trying increase the noise to enhance the spectacle. If so, then can't they change certain regulations to make the spectacle more aesthetic, including that of changing nose shapes too ?
Sure. I think the regulations have reflected aesthetic desires for quite some time. Neither open wheels nor an open cockpit are ideal from a design standpoint, but both are required because that's what people think F1 cars should look like.

An artificial exhaust note might be one step too far. But, really, nothing in F1 surprises me anymore.
Is that not the challenge in the sport. Designing cars around such limitations is what have kept them going for nearly 70 years...

On the exhaust note... It looks hideous! Granted the final version would possibly look better but then the FIA would have to adapt the regulations to fit such designs...

MAMBA

flattyre

Perhaps it might be a solution to leave the rear of the bodywork open to the elements, like years gone past...? Plus, it looks pretty damn cool :wink: although ERS and rain might not be the best mix in the world!

therealjustin

That just looks wrong. I think Mercedes are only testing this to make a point though.

Edax

therealjustin wrote:That just looks wrong. I think Mercedes are only testing this to make a point though.
As I'm struggling to find superlatives to adequately describe the degree of ridiculesness of this solution, I am inclined to agree with you.This is an insult to engineering.

I'm wondering, what point though:

"You can't solve with this type of engine you need to come up with something radically different", doesn't seem like a smart message when you just spent a good chunk of a billion on this engine and have a 1 sec advantage.

If they had a good option which doesn't look like some whack has soldered a tin can to the exhaust of his crappy Ford Fiesta to make it sound like a WRC, why not present it now?

Sonic

Is it me or MGP is joking ? Everyone working in music or sound industry knows that the megaphone (without amp) is a toy. It looks quite cynical, but I like it. Are they trying to preserve what they've got (showing how ridiculous it is) or are they trying to work on a real solution (not this joke) to create more down-force (using this stupid idea of "Motorhead souding like") ?