New nose "submarining" in Melbourne collision?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
n_anirudh

Re: New nose "submarining" in Melbourne collision?

For a closer pic:

EDIT: Slightly smaller image was posted on Caterham thread

Racewatcher

Lots of different areas mandate the heights of car bumpers so that most collisions are bumper to bumper, precisely to prevent one car from riding up over the other. Why didn't the FIA mandate that the front crash structure and the rear one be the same height? So figure out what works best, and either lower the rear crash structure, or raise the front.

Manoah2u

i'll repeat what i said in the 2014 design thread;
Manoah2u wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:what i find 'positive' about this accident is the fact that the nose itself is still intact. in the past, the high noses would make contact and get damaged, even so to the point that they can almost snap off (even though obviously there is a significant force needed) - but in this case, it seems the actual nose rather then the vanity panel is able to withsand the 'impact' and weight of scooping up another car, and remain intact.
The nose is a crash zone. Its supposed to be destroyed because thats how it disspates crash enery. The fact that it stayed intact is a massive fail.
the official crash test surely will have proven it actually gets destroyed when hit in the right manner.
stefan_ wrote:Or the impact wasn't as strong as it looked from the outside.
seems logical. there obviously are differences with full contact and levitational contact.

for example:

three examples of cars getting 'scooped up' by a collection from the rear. did the crash structure fail? certainly not.
does that make the car crash structure a massive failure? definately not. Does this make the cars unacceptably dangerous? no. It just shows under the right circumstances, a car can dive under the car in front.

in a full contact situation you get this:

in this case, the crash structure does its work the way it was intended to do. Is it safer then another car scooping up the other? well, one might argue the 'violence' of the impact probably is a whole lot less becuase energy is not transferred the same way. i would say, a car scooping up another one is safer because it lowers the risks of physical damage to the occupants because of the abrupt stop. On the other side, there is a potential danger of a top being crushed due to the other cars weight (should it become lodged underneath far enough).

the simple truth is, this is what the FIA is genuinly trying to avoid:

interestingly enough, though - andretti was not hurt in this accident.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gridlock

You don't have to look outside F1 to see what they were trying to avoid a repeat of;

Tim.Wright

Manoah2u wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:what i find 'positive' about this accident is the fact that the nose itself is still intact. in the past, the high noses would make contact and get damaged, even so to the point that they can almost snap off (even though obviously there is a significant force needed) - but in this case, it seems the actual nose rather then the vanity panel is able to withsand the 'impact' and weight of scooping up another car, and remain intact.
The nose is a crash zone. Its supposed to be destroyed because thats how it disspates crash enery. The fact that it stayed intact is a massive fail.
the official crash test surely will have proven it actually gets destroyed when hit in the right manner.
Its the only forward facing crash zone. If it doesn't deform from a frontal impact, then its not doing its job. Whether it passed the crash test or not it irrelevant
Not the engineer at Force India

BanMeToo

If the wheels of two cars touch and one car is launched upward, the height of your crash structures and noses have potentially become irrelevant. None of that business can stop the airborne wheel and suspension of one car coming down on the other drivers' head.

There is a ceiling on how safe open-cockpit cars are... I'm not saying we've reached the ceiling but it is there.

Blanchimont

Don't forget that Kobayashi lost his right front wheel when he touched the Ferrari, so the car and the nose were even lower to the ground after the suspension broke.

Here's a replay ( http://youtu.be/-_6560AW1zQ?t=1m14s ), the suspension almost broke like porcelain.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

beelsebob

BanMeToo wrote:If the wheels of two cars touch and one car is launched upward, the height of your crash structures and noses have potentially become irrelevant. None of that business can stop the airborne wheel and suspension of one car coming down on the other drivers' head.

There is a ceiling on how safe open-cockpit cars are... I'm not saying we've reached the ceiling but it is there.
We can't solve all problems is not an argument to not solve one problem.

There's currently a major issue that can trivially be solved by raising the noses to above the height of the diffuser.

beelsebob

Blanchimont wrote:Don't forget that Kobayashi lost his right front wheel when he touched the Ferrari, so the car and the nose were even lower to the ground after the suspension broke.

Here's a replay ( http://youtu.be/-_6560AW1zQ?t=1m14s ), the suspension almost broke like porcelain.
Did you really mean to link the Usual Suspects?

mikeerfol

beelsebob wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:Don't forget that Kobayashi lost his right front wheel when he touched the Ferrari, so the car and the nose were even lower to the ground after the suspension broke.

Did you really mean to link the Usual Suspects?
Well it's got a Kobayashi porcelain.. :lol: :D

beelsebob

Oh god, I can't believe I missed that.