Tips to reduce lap times

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ernos5

Tips to reduce lap times

Need suggestions on how to loose another half second off my lap time. Use Albert Park for an example.. So 1min 25 lap time roughly in a F1 car, need a little quicker to match another guy.

Trail braking already, engine braking already. Can't feel where i'm loosing time, can't access telemetry either... You guys are smart and all know everything about F1 so please share, cheers

bhall

Re: Tips to reduce lap times

Go faster. Or be less slow. Your choice, of course.

luke!

Change the setup of the car: try to increase the DF even if it costs a bit of top speed in the straights

Roland Ehnström

In the famous words of one Juan Manuel Fangio: "More throttle, less brake" :D

Seriousely, how are we supposed to help you cut half a second off your laptime via a text forum? :wtf: Without seeing you drive, how could we ever give you any helpful advise? "You should take more kerb in turn 1", "Try braking later for turn 9", "Turn in less abruptly for turn 11"...

I assume you are talking about a racing simulation? If you save a replay of a good lap you have driven, and let someone who has driven the same car at the same track in the same sim (but faster) have a look at it, then perhaps he/she can give you some pointers as to where you may be losing time.

ernos5

Setups are all default setups in the sim we use, defeats the purpose of changing them, we all use default setups, so to equal or better another racer i need to reduce a few tenths my lap times.

I'm not asking for a technical analysis of my lap time, i just need ideas of how to reduce them, as i said above a couple techniques i'm using already, if there are more that you guys use let me know.

If i brake much later i miss the apex, there must be a way to reduce the braking distance even more, but still make the apex and carry high speed through the exit.

mertol

Use the whole width of the track. Look for patches of tarmac or curbing that would allow you to take a corner a little wider or cut the apex a little deeper. Instead of trying to brake late, try to maximize your corner exit speed.

Just_a_fan

Jackie Stewart used to say "it's not how late you get on the brakes that matters, it's how soon you get off them" and also "never get on the throttle until you're sure you won't need to get off it again".

You're better off being a few km/h slower on the entry and faster on exit than the other way round because whatever speed you take out of the corner is with you all the way to the next braking zone.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

deterherligt

Just_a_fan wrote:Jackie Stewart used to say "it's not how late you get on the brakes that matters, it's how soon you get off them" and also "never get on the throttle until you're sure you won't need to get off it again".

You're better off being a few km/h slower on the entry and faster on exit than the other way round because whatever speed you take out of the corner is with you all the way to the next braking zone.
I think this is from a Topgear episode, and IIRC there are more tips in the video.

stefan_

You can learn from Jackie...

... or from Kimi. Just go.

And this is how to win & tackle the police.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985