First non Mercedes-Benz win in 2014?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob

Re: First non Mercedes-Benz win in 2014?

AnthonyG wrote:A Williams in Monaco
The Williams' don't stand a chance at Monaco. It's probably their least favourable circuit.

Roland Ehnström

Vettel in Spain. Barcelona is a perfect track for the Red Bull.

Phillyred

I am assuming the OP implied non MB powered car/team, correct? Either way, I stand by my original post- Monaco, Vettel.

beelsebob

Roland Ehnström wrote:Vettel in Spain. Barcelona is a perfect track for the Red Bull.
Last year the RedBull was stronger than the Merc at Malaysia, but weaker than it at Spain (except for tyre usage). I expect that RedBull's car will be less good in Spain again this year, so I really don't think Spain is the circuit to do it.

beelsebob

Phillyred wrote:I am assuming the OP implied non MB powered car/team, correct? Either way, I stand by my original post- Monaco, Vettel.
I think he meant non MB car, not non MB power train to be honest.

AnthonyG

beelsebob wrote:
The Williams' don't stand a chance at Monaco. It's probably their least favourable circuit.
I don't think so.
*They had good traction out of the slower corners in Melbourne.
*The low-drag stuff doesn't count here since you just bolt on as much DF as you can.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

spinmastermic

Its the MP4-4 all over again, so Ferrari will win at Monza.

beelsebob

AnthonyG wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
I don't think so.
*They had good traction out of the slower corners in Melbourne.
*The low-drag stuff doesn't count here since you just bolt on as much DF as you can.
But that's Williams' exact problem – their car is optimised for low drag, not high drag.

spadeflush

Agree. Williams has no chance of winning in Monaco. I believe Vettel has the highest chance, if he can bag that pole position.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Pebblestone

I'll put my 2 cents on a fuel-sensor-free Red Bull win at the Montreal GP :o
The ingredients for the recipe of success shall be added in the following order: Attitude, Aptitude and Altitude. Inversions to the prescribe order could seriously prevent altitude from happening, therefore giving a sour taste to the mix.

myurr

Shrieker wrote:Ric says on a high df track:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/04/01/r ... ricciardo/
His argument ignores the fact that Mercedes are currently tuning their cars setup for straight line speed to play to their advantages. On a high downforce track they will add more downforce and their suspension, drivability of their engine, and more efficient ERS will help keep them ahead. Sure they'll be closer, but Merc will still have an advantage.

It's easy to forget that in the early part of last year the Mercedes was often the faster car hobbled by tyre usage. Once they mostly got on top of that they started winning, frightening Red Bull into putting too much resource into last years car, but then the tyres changed and Red Bull made further gains with their flexing floor and blown diffuser. The tyres are harder now which will be playing to Mercedes strengths more than the Red Bull and the blown diffuser is no more.

Bredd

I really doubt that anyone will best mercedes in monaco. Both of their drivers are handy round there, last year they were clear of the field due to their superior traction and mechanical grip. I haven't seen anything different this year, they were supreme in sector 3 in oz which has similar characteristics to monaco.

beelsebob

Pebblestone wrote:I'll put my 2 cents on a fuel-sensor-free Red Bull win at the Montreal GP :o
The problem RedBull has is that if they can run fuel sensor free, so can everyone else.

beelsebob

Bredd wrote:I really doubt that anyone will best mercedes in monaco. Both of their drivers are handy round there, last year they were clear of the field due to their superior traction and mechanical grip. I haven't seen anything different this year, they were supreme in sector 3 in oz which has similar characteristics to monaco.
The thing that makes me think Merc will be weak at Monaco is their corner entry understeer. Unless they get that sorted, they're screwed at the tight twisty circuits.

Bredd

beelsebob wrote:
Bredd wrote:I really doubt that anyone will best mercedes in monaco. Both of their drivers are handy round there, last year they were clear of the field due to their superior traction and mechanical grip. I haven't seen anything different this year, they were supreme in sector 3 in oz which has similar characteristics to monaco.
The thing that makes me think Merc will be weak at Monaco is their corner entry understeer. Unless they get that sorted, they're screwed at the tight twisty circuits.
I am pretty sure that the car is just set up like that to protect the tyres. In monaco there's no real need for tyre conservation just qualify better than the rest. I think by then they should have their new front wing on and perhaps nose giving a more positive front end.