The outrageous Formula 1 wishful thinking thread.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xDama

Re: The outrageous Formula 1 wishful thinking thread.

If I were to change some things on F1, I wouldn't focus on the technical side. I would make the sport a little more raw, like in the older days.

- Race on tracks with rougher/less perfect track asphalt (Montreal, Monaco e.g)
- Remove the asphalt run-off zones and replace them with a hybrid type of gravel-trap. I don't want to see cars go off the track and not get 'punished'
- Make the cars sound loud and raw (e.g. 90's)
- Make tracks less wide and less forgiving (Montreal vs. Bahrain or Spa vs. China e.g)

These simple things would improve the spectacle by a ton imo. Not because there would be more crashes, but every race would be a lot less forgiving. 1 mistake and you're out or off the track. It's the thing I in the current state afairs.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

sectionate

^^I would agree with the runoff areas, gravel traps should return, or tarmaced areas should have speed bumps of something similar to slow the cars.

I have always thought it would be interesting to change the entire technical regs and simply state that a driver must not be submitted to a g-force of 5/6 (somehow measure this and cut the engine if exceeded. And leave it at that and see what teams come up with, i think there would be some wildly different designs. The car designs used to vary so much when the technical regs were freer, now they all look very similar

I would also allow for more freedom in the engine design, no more fixed V angles etc, but I would have a rule that states the overall architecture of the engine could only be changed 1 time per season to stop an development war erupting. I would keep the ERS/KERS systems, as I think they are good.

Introduce more than one tyre supplier.

flynfrog

outer_bongolia

One more thing that I thought of:

I would remove the car adjustments from drivers' control, and with that nearly all of the buttons. Gear shift, water, and radio buttons would be the only controls allowed.

If the team wants to change any settings, they would need to bring it in to the pits and plug a terminal to a USB or some other outlet...
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan