Pulled the Plug on F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Pulled the Plug on F1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thank You
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

GitanesBlondes

Don't kid yourself, Renault wanted 4 cylinder, not 6 cylinder. Mercedes wanted 6 cylinder, and Ferrari wanted none of them. It has nothing to do with the ICE itself and I said as much in the prior post...I assumed it would have been clear when I specifically mentioned the hybrid systems and not the ICE.

There's nothing remarkable about these highly regulated energy recovery systems, and no matter how much you want to believe this to be the case, it's not true. The fans and the F1 media can keep pretending to the contrary, but it doesn't change that. Restrictions kill anything that might have been unique about them. Let me know when they are capable of releasing 473HP the way Toyota's LMP1 system does.

But hey whatever, everyone wants to believe in F1's green myth. Le Mans should just have an advertising campaign that says, "Doing what F1 can't."
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

FoxHound

B,

Do you concur that in 1988 the combustion engine had alot more potential for development than it does in 2014?
JET set

GitanesBlondes

Great post bhall. This year's regulations are only "interesting", "exciting", and "revolutionary" if you suffer from selective amnesia.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

FoxHound

Ok gitanes you win.

Renault wanted 4 cylinder engines, Ferrari didnt want anything (ahem) mercedes wanted V6s and forced everyone including the FIA to introduce them.

Agreement amongst the governing body and the competitors was not required.

Nothing constructive will come of our differences so think we're done with the other on this thread, you and I gitanes.
JET set

GitanesBlondes

More like Ferrari was talked into it, just like they were talked into the in-season testing ban.

FoxHound

Great. Fabulous, fantastic.

You've solved it. Now we move on.
JET set

thomin

GitanesBlondes wrote: But hey whatever, everyone wants to believe in F1's green myth.
Who does? I mean seriously, has there ever been anyone on this board who wanted to believe it? In fact has there ever been anyone anywhere not being paid by some marketing department wanting to believe that?

Sounds like a massive straw man to me.
We all know that F1 isn't green and never will be green, even if the cars will eventually be propelled by the drivers pushing them.
But that doesn't stop me from preferring a turbo engine over a naturally aspired one. That doesn't prevent me from valuing efficiency.

bhall

FoxHound wrote:B,

Do you concur that in 1988 the combustion engine had alot more potential for development than it does in 2014?
I'm not an engineer, so I genuinely don't know. I picked 1988, because it was the last time F1 used turbocharged engines.

That said, I suspect brighter people than me could probably come up with something useful if given enough leeway, a property nowhere to be found in the current regulations. Like I said, it's homework.

But, it is what it is. There's not really anything that can be done about it now.

Incidentally, that long-ass wall of text reminded me of the opening sequence to Spaceballs. It cracked me the hell up.

"Find any innovations?"

Last edited by bhall on 10 Apr 2014, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.

GitanesBlondes

thomin wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote: But hey whatever, everyone wants to believe in F1's green myth.
Who does? I mean seriously, has there ever been anyone on this board who wanted to believe it? In fact has there ever been anyone anywhere not being paid by some marketing department wanting to believe that?

Sounds like a massive straw man to me.
We all know that F1 isn't green and never will be green, even if the cars will eventually be propelled by the drivers pushing them.
But that doesn't stop me from preferring a turbo engine over a naturally aspired one. That doesn't prevent me from valuing efficiency.
There have been plenty of posts on here about how this is an important step forward in meeting green standards. :lol:

I apologize, the use of the word "everyone" was poor since it obviously implies everyone here including myself. :(

Maybe we should go ask the resident forum FIA defender about F1's green ethos and how it's more than marketing? :D

Blanchimont

Did the 1988 regulations really allow supercharged engines up to 14500cc? :mrgreen:
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Edax

I've been watching F1 for a good part of 40 years now and lurking here for a while. This topic I couldn't resist, so sorry for dropping in.

For years, I've been hoping for F1 to get more torque. For me there is little more exciting than seeing two drivers exiting a corner side by side stuggling for traction. I think it is by far the most natural way of inducing driving errors and setting up overtakes. The DRS overtakes of last year I found too artificial.

In that respect I find this year very encouraging. I've seen some classic overtakes which were not possible in the past years. So yes I'm optimistic about the new regs. Even the sound I don't find problematic. If I want noise I would watch nascar.

that means I only have two urgent wishes left:
- I want the sparks back. 8)
- Rear wheels need to be bigger/ wider than front. IMO there is something aestetically wrong with the current tires.

Cam

beelsebob wrote:There's way too many problems with this analogy, sorry....I hope this shows why this is such a terrible analogy though.
Seeing as you've decided to focus on the small things...
Cam wrote:Here's a story.
Story... analogy... two different things last time I looked in the dictionary. Thanks for comparing though. Speaking of which, who would compare karts to F1 really? We all know one is arguably one of the purist forms of racing and the other is a farce. ; S
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

Edax wrote:I've been watching F1 for a good part of 40 years now and lurking here for a while. This topic I couldn't resist, so sorry for dropping in.

For years, I've been hoping for F1 to get more torque. For me there is little more exciting than seeing two drivers exiting a corner side by side stuggling for traction. I think it is by far the most natural way of inducing driving errors and setting up overtakes. The DRS overtakes of last year I found too artificial.

In that respect I find this year very encouraging. I've seen some classic overtakes which were not possible in the past years. So yes I'm optimistic about the new regs. Even the sound I don't find problematic. If I want noise I would watch nascar.

that means I only have two urgent wishes left:
- I want the sparks back. 8)
- Rear wheels need to be bigger/ wider than front. IMO there is something aestetically wrong with the current tires.
Seeing as this thread is about turning off from F1, I do agree with you. I know we can't live in the past, but the 'spectacle' was far more than it is now. All the efforts of FOM and the FIA just seem to either miss the point or back fire, leaving band aid solutions that please no-one.

One of the worst things about F1 is the double standard by some of the sports leaders:
Weber wrote:"In former times, it was important for me to go to a Formula 1 race just for fun," he said. "Now it's part of my business.

So it was perfectly ok for F1 to be fun for them but now they all have a financial interest, fun comes second to profits. This my friends - is what is killing the sport.
Lauda wrote:"If people don't want these [turbo] engines to come in, then stick to the old engines and make a garage type of racing.
p.s. Lauda - they were called "Garagists" - look up the term - it's what drew you to the sport to begin with.... :roll:
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Moxie

Edax wrote: - Rear wheels need to be bigger/ wider than front. IMO there is something aestetically wrong with the current tires.
Thank you for joining in the discussion. You need not apologize. But to this I must disagree. You see when I see the ugly nose and skinny rear end and hear the guttural grunt of the current cars, I get a little sentimental about an old girlfriend. Psycho Susan was her name...ahhh but that is a different conversation isn't it. :)