Pulled the Plug on F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lycoming

Re: Pulled the Plug on F1

Going through this thread makes me realize that, despite the FIA's silly politics, things would be so much worse if this forum collectively ran the circus.

stephenwh

Yes I agree...painful thread to read.

stephenwh

GitanesBlondes wrote:
FoxHound wrote:So Hang on a minute.... May I summarise?

Engines blowing up showed that the tech was advanced or that the rules allowed for innovation?
Or, is it that you enjoy the sport more that you are safe in the knowledge these cars used to be "innovative/advanced"?

Let's say Jean Alesi was wringing the neck of his Ferrari V12, and the pitboard came out to say..."Oi! Alesi....Calma con Cavalino Rampante!" He would then be forced to drive within himself to preserve the engine. Or there would be an inevitable blow up punctuated with alot of Italian expletives, possibly even no Pasta for a week!
But hey....his V12 was state of the art!
If an engine blows up because it can't handle the rigors of the race, but that will be addressed by the engine builders back in Maranello, it's just a tad bit different than being force to homologate the engines...or trying to sneak in upgrades under the guise of safety. It was fun to see the engine builders try to improve their engines whether or not they won anything.

You do not see engines progress in any meaningful sense any longer throughout the course of a season Fox...I know you already know this. That's the sort of thing that is going to preserve Mercedes advantage for 2014, and it's an absolute joke. It'd be like telling any professional sports team, "No you are not allowed to practice or to improve your team through practice, and/or the signings of new players." Sure even if you can improve things, it's not a guaranteed recipe for success, but it's still more interesting to see a team attempt to improve so should they desire.

The larger point to all of this as I have mentioned elsewhere, is that if you genuinely want manufacturers to participate in the formula as engine suppliers or even teams, you can't hope to have that with homologation. They need to be able to see where their designs stand, and preserving the engine so it doesn't blow up is not the same as not seeing the engines ever pushed because there is no benefit to doing so. Mercedes participating is an abnormality, and Thomas Weber already admitted if the rules didn't change they would have quit. The only reason they wanted the rule change was because they knew they had an advantage internally with their knowledge on hybrid systems, that Renault couldn't match (for financial reasons) and Ferrari couldn't because they didn't spend enough time on the whole thing.
Right :roll: so everyone understood the competitive landscape...the teams had to approve the change (complete with the FIA buckling to Ferrari's demand that it be a v6)...including the homologation rules and when/how they could make changes...so then Mercedes did a better job than anyone else, and in your world, it is a joke that per the rules, (once again, rules that everyone agreed to), Ferrari can't now do unlimited development to catch up... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Moxie

stephenwh wrote:

Right :roll: so everyone understood the competitive landscape...the teams had to approve the change (complete with the FIA buckling to Ferrari's demand that it be a v6)...including the homologation rules and when/how they could make changes...so then Mercedes did a better job than anyone else, and in your world, it is a joke that per the rules, (once again, rules that everyone agreed to), Ferrari can't now do unlimited development to catch up... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
I agree with you here. Perhaps, as I have presented my argument for this discussion I should have done a better job of choosing my words. The engineering competition still exists, but it is more or less over before the cars hit the track for the first race of the season. Mercedes did a better job than anyone else and now viewers will be treated to the probable outcome that they will win 60 % of the races and take 60 % of the available podium positions. Ferrari built a &$€£box and they have no chance to recover. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Moxie

Lycoming wrote:Going through this thread makes me realize that, despite the FIA's silly politics, things would be so much worse if this forum collectively ran the circus.

I certainly agree with you.

GitanesBlondes

stephenwh wrote:
Like I said, Ferrari got talked into the whole thing much like the in-season testing ban. Don't kid yourself there. There's other considerations at play here which is why you should read between the lines with some of these rules.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Moxie

GitanesBlondes wrote:
stephenwh wrote:
Like I said, Ferrari got talked into the whole thing much like the in-season testing ban. Don't kid yourself there. There's other considerations at play here which is why you should read between the lines with some of these rules.
@GB I'm not sure where you are going with this or how exactly this plays into the general lack of competitiveness between teams during the season, but it is not lost on me that Ferrari gets approx $60M from Mr.E just to continue competing in F1, and Ferrari also has special Veto power over rule changes. Without a doubt, Ferrari must bear the burden of its own decision making.

stephenwh

Oh cmon...a company like Ferrari does not get "talked into things"...I'm sorry but this concept that they were the object of a ruse is juvenile at best, infantile might be a better description...I personally have payed close attention to what has been going on with this formula change from the frozen and revved limited v8, and Montezemelo walking away from the screen in disgust in Bahrain and not saying a word (accept something to himself under his breath) was in my opinion about shame...shame that he fought so hard against the 4 cylinder, even threatening to quit...only to now realize his company teed up the ball on the V6 and completely whiffed...that is the bottom line...they failed. Wake up and smell the coffee GB.

The measure of Ferrari is now how they respond, not how they complain. If all they do now is complain, then more shame on them...

GitanesBlondes

Formula 1 is politics....much of what goes on never makes it into the news because the F1 media is a joke and will never ask any real questions, lest they bite the hand that feeds them.

Couple of things I want to point out to you...if you understood how politics in F1 work, there is the public face put on things, and then there is the private face. The usual players do a lot of things contrary to what they say behind closed doors depending on what is necessary for the future. These guys are thinking down the road with a lot of what they do....and sometimes it means accepting things you don't like because there is ulterior motive. I sort of view F1 like a real life game of chess. Commercial considerations are also highly important, and do override what the fans might think is a dumb move.

Keep in mind to how far back some of these guys go together. Bernie, Luca, Ron, and Sir Frank all go back over 40 years. They have long-standing relationships that are complicated, but they will work for the greater good if it benefits all of them. Frank stuck by Bernie through everything...you should have seen Bernie wheeling Frank around at a charity race at Silverstone in 1987 to see what kind of a relationship they have for example.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

FoxHound

GitanesBlondes wrote:Formula 1 is politics.......................(snip)

Couple of things I want to point out to you...if you understood how politics in F1 work.............(snip)

Keep in mind to how far back some of these guys go together............. Frank stuck by Bernie through everything...you should have seen Bernie wheeling Frank around at a charity race at Silverstone in 1987 to see what kind of a relationship they have for example.
F1 is a political sport, yes. It always has been. Anyone with a modicum of logic can see that much with a man like Ecclestone steering the sport. But.....show me a man who understands how F1 politics work?
F1 politics landscape shift so quickly, there are no machinations of "understanding" it.
If it makes Bernie money, he will do it. Rudimentary...but you wont get much more accurate than that.

But things change for various reasons, and you used an example which actually contradicts much of what you say.

Williams. What have they done in the last 16 years that can reflect this "special relationship"? Bernie is mates with Frank....wheeled him around 25 years ago at a charity race....so what?
Being in bernie's favour has no guarantees of your team performing better.

So if anyone were to "pull the plug" on the basis of the above, I would just say that it has happened in F1 since year zero. Furthermore, it happens in all sport where there is a big audience(nee cash cow).
JET set

Moxie

As the guy who "pulled the plug" I can assure you that the politics were not a factor in my decision, not directly anyway. Of course it is reasonable to say that the politics has knock on effects that have led to the competition issues I have expressed in this thread.

GitanesBlondes

Come on Fox you know Frank backed Bernie to his own detriment.