Silenced by the FIA Facebook page.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
she_spools_180
she_spools_180

Silenced by the FIA Facebook page.

So, just yesterday, I commented on one of the posts by the FIA Facebook page, voicing my discontent with the state of F1 in 2014.

I came back today to see what other responses there might be to my comments by other Facebook users, to find that not only had my comments been removed, that I could no longer comment any more on their posts. Also, I no longer 'liked' FIA on Facebook. I re-'liked' it, but to no avail, I still could not post a comment.

My two posts did not contain any profanities, and were polite, to the extent that a strongly worded criticism can be.

Although, I did mention that I had only 'liked' FIA to observe the backlash of the rule changes, in response to another person's comment above me - also removed. Perhaps the mod of the page took that to heart, and removed me from the members list.

Not sure what to think, except, I guess, that I know they got my message.

What are your thoughts? I am quite surprised at this, as I am one of many others voicing their (negative) opinion on this season. I would not have expected this kind of response, seems a bit immature, perhaps the FIA consider themselves above criticism.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Re: Silenced by the FIA Facebook page.

There are more than 1 critical comment on the site now, including "F1 sucks right now." Let's see if they also get deleted.

FrukostScones

2014 is already great. So they did the right thing to silence you. :mrgreen:

What exactly did you criticise?

I personally only hate the double points rule for Abu Dhabi and the 5 PU restriction in the first season with those crazy penalty points that will make the grid calculation ... a calculation later in the year. And the driver penalty points also suck...( :mrgreen: )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

she_spools_180
she_spools_180

Said something along the lines of

"The 2014 F1 season will be remembered as a stain on the History of Formula 1"

A bit melodramatic, I know, but it was in reference mainly to the double points.

But I am also dissatisfied with the noise/sound, the fuel saving rules and I think it's a farce to freeze engine development after what was a couple of weeks worth of testing.

Either way, I do not want this thread to turn into a debate on how good or bad the new rule changes are, just how on the page's response to my criticism.

MOWOG

The FIA seems to be taking a page from the US government with regard to silencing dissenting voices. Consider yourself lucky you were not picked up in the dead of night by a gang of FIA ruffians and transported to their version of Guantanamo. Or worse! :wink:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

strad

Was it Vettel? One of the drivers was called in to explain their statements to the press and apparently got their mind set right. You'da thought it was Jr. being called to the NASCAR trailer. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Kiril Varbanov

That's strange. I mean, I can hardly see someone managing FIA's social activities doing such thing, which begs the question, with absolutely no bad meaning: Are you sure?
Isn't it just a Facebook screw up? Temp glitch in the Matrix? If, however, this isn't the case - complain to Facebook. They don't like users being diverted away from their servers.

Again, this sounds strange to me. If FIA has such resources - to track down and silence people's voice on social networks - perhaps it's time to rethink the rest of the stuff they complain about which always lack time and money. It's about priorities, I guess. At the same time, FIA's communication manner have always been bad example.

FoxHound

To be honest, it's no different to any sport or news associated web page.
Make a comment the moderators take exception to and it vanishes.
Politeness is not a free pass to freedom of speech unfortunately. Ya know, I also made a complaint on tripadvisor about a fancy restaurant in the new forest here in Hampshire.... that dissappeared quicker than I did leaving the place.
No rhyme or reason as to why they did it either. I guess there is not alot to do about it other than accept it.
JET set

she_spools_180
she_spools_180

Kiril Varbanov wrote:That's strange. I mean, I can hardly see someone managing FIA's social activities doing such thing, which begs the question, with absolutely no bad meaning: Are you sure?
Isn't it just a Facebook screw up? Temp glitch in the Matrix? If, however, this isn't the case - complain to Facebook. They don't like users being diverted away from their servers.

Again, this sounds strange to me. If FIA has such resources - to track down and silence people's voice on social networks - perhaps it's time to rethink the rest of the stuff they complain about which always lack time and money. It's about priorities, I guess. At the same time, FIA's communication manner have always been bad example.
Kiril, I completely agree. This is something I had considered, and I still think it might be a possibility. I will try again tomorrow perhaps, we shall see.

I made sure to check on two different devices to see if perhaps one was at fault.
Last edited by she_spools_180 on 11 Apr 2014, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

tim|away
tim|away

she_spools_180 wrote:Said something along the lines of
[...]
It's not exactly constructive criticism, is it?

she_spools_180
she_spools_180

tim|away wrote:
she_spools_180 wrote:Said something along the lines of
[...]
It's not exactly constructive criticism, is it?
Not going to disagree.

mrluke
mrluke

Censorship is nothing new on the internet.

strad

Again, this sounds strange to me. If FIA has such resources - to track down and silence people's voice on social networks
The FOM watch all the sites all the time. They watch this site.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Perhaps they took you to be one of Bernie's gremlins, doing their best to reduce the value of the sport. I don't see how F1 2014 can be a stain on F1 history when we've seen only 3 races, one of which was among the best in F1 history.
Maybe you took things for granted, got flippant and got singed.

rich1701
rich1701

Most sporting governing bodies are corrupt. The FIA is only interested in fans answering the questions they decide they want to ask. That for them is enough.

I suggest you actually write to Jean Todt at the FIA in Paris, tell him what happened and see what the response is.