BMW, Ford considering F1 return

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zonk

BMW, Ford considering F1 return

BMW and Ford could each be eyeing a return to formula one, according to reports.

The BMW rumour has been triggered by comments made by former F1 team owner and boss Gian Carlo Minardi, who said the revolutionary new turbo V6 rules were devised not just by current F1 suppliers Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault.

"Rumours in Germany suggest BMW's board of directors will meet in May to evaluate a return to the top category to be an engine supplier as early as 2015," Minardi said on his official website.

He said BMW officials were present during winter testing and the early races of the new V6 rules.

The return of BMW, having withdrawn its works partnership with the Sauber team at the end of 2009, would be good news for F1's controversial new engine rules, as the Japanese marque Honda is also coming back to the sport in 2015.

However, BMW has repeatedly rejected any suggestion it is contemplating a return to F1, having successfully entered the German touring car series DTM.

"Our focus has not changed," spokesman Jorg Kottmeier told Speed Week in the wake of the latest rumours.

"Formula one is not a topic for us as we are very happy in production car racing."

Elsewhere, Racecar Engineering reports that Gene Haas' new team for 2015 could be powered by Ford-branded Cosworth engines.
source: http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dailyf1n ... orts+.html

astracrazy

Re: BMW, Ford considering F1 return

May to evaluate a return to the top category to be an engine supplier as early as 2015
Optimistic. Took two and a half years for the current engine suppliers to build there's and some say that was pushing it. Def. a rumour

luke!

Just thinking... The main teams has already a contract for engine supplying, could this huge investment be remunerative for them?

Kiril Varbanov

Very far fetched for the BMW case. I have personally spoken with a senior figure from BMW who denied any kind of interest in F1, contrary to their interest at Formula E, however.

It has taken three years and around $500 million for Mercedes to build a winning package, so same will be expected from BMW. I don't think at this point they are interested in such investment, especially considering the know-how current engine suppliers will attain during this time.

astracrazy

Its not surprising i think, for example, them and Toyota got there fingers burned last time (in terms of money spend and success) so they will never be in a hurry to come back and spend such money again. At least in the short to mid term furture

Kiril Varbanov

Why would BMW be back in F1? They own DTM now, and they have wings! For mirrors support.

sennaf1god.94

Cossie publicly admitted they have a F1 PU designed waiting for a big player's money to start production.

Might be Ford, Hyundai or any other Asian maker but expect Cosworth back in F1 in 2016 as too late.

They will make an announcement before seasons end.
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

xpensive

Why would any manufacturer bother to join at this point and with these crazy rules, just the usual disinformation from MrE.

Cosworth having designed a complete PU on their own, that I simply don't believe, I think manufacturing is the lesser part and the development of the ERS where it starts to cost serious money. Perhaps they ave designed the ICE?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

I think with LMP1 now being closer to F1 there might be some manufacturers inclined to switch between both types of racing just as it complimemts their technical strength and the current opposition in the formula they are fighting. In total there will be more manufacturers joining LMP1 and F1. It remains to be seen which is the more attractive.
Currently LMP1 looks really hot, but that can change if Bernie gets convicted in Germany as I fully expect he will.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

wesley123

astracrazy wrote:Its not surprising i think, for example, them and Toyota got there fingers burned last time (in terms of money spend and success) so they will never be in a hurry to come back and spend such money again. At least in the short to mid term furture
Honda
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

GitanesBlondes

WhiteBlue wrote:I think with LMP1 now being closer to F1 there might be some manufacturers inclined to switch between both types of racing just as it complimemts their technical strength and the current opposition in the formula they are fighting. In total there will be more manufacturers joining LMP1 and F1. It remains to be seen which is the more attractive.
Currently LMP1 looks really hot, but that can change if Bernie gets convicted in Germany as I fully expect he will.
LMP1 is not closer to F1, as your statement would imply that F1 is ahead of LMP1.

It's not.

LMP1 has far surpassed anything F1 has to offer currently. The 6 Hours of Silverstone this weekend is going to be real eye-opening for anyone who thinks F1's hybrid systems and approach to racing currently, offers any real competition to the LMP1 cars.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

sennaf1god.94

GitanesBlondes wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:I think with LMP1 now being closer to F1 there might be some manufacturers inclined to switch between both types of racing just as it complimemts their technical strength and the current opposition in the formula they are fighting. In total there will be more manufacturers joining LMP1 and F1. It remains to be seen which is the more attractive.
LMP1 is not closer to F1, as your statement would imply that F1 is ahead of LMP1.

It's not.

LMP1 has far surpassed anything F1 has to offer currently. The 6 Hours of Silverstone this weekend is going to be real eye-opening for anyone who thinks F1's hybrid systems and approach to racing currently, offers any real competition to the LMP1 cars.
+1

Or should I say...

+1000bhp
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

xpensive

In all honesty, I don't think very much of an LMP1 engine is transferable to Formula 1 a vacuum-cleaner, the sparkplugs?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

PlatinumZealot

xpensive wrote:Why would any manufacturer bother to join at this point and with these crazy rules, just the usual disinformation from MrE.

Cosworth having designed a complete PU on their own, that I simply don't believe, I think manufacturing is the lesser part and the development of the ERS where it starts to cost serious money. Perhaps they ave designed the ICE?
They did design ICE, Turbo and somehow simulated the ERS.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

jagunx51

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Why would BMW be back in F1? They own DTM now, and they have wings! For mirrors support.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlQsLMlIQAA4Jpd.jpg:large
.... they dont have drs actually :wink:
............!!!!