Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Haas - American team in F1

Jonnycraig wrote:
Blackout wrote:He's always been very fast and consistent in his lap times. But since the second half of 2013 when he sorted out some tehcnical (and psychological?) problems, he became very solid. He showed in the second part of 2013 that with a good car and enough support from his team he can be a top driver. Since then he rarely does mistakes and seems to exploit his cars at their maximum
Indeed, criminally underrated driver. People's perception of Grosjean is generally blinded by 'he crashed into my favourite driver'.
Better say "he ruined third title of my favourite driver" :mrgreen:

But no, I don´t have any problem with him, that´s racing and incredibly bad luck.

Jonnycraig

Andres125sx wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
Blackout wrote:He's always been very fast and consistent in his lap times. But since the second half of 2013 when he sorted out some tehcnical (and psychological?) problems, he became very solid. He showed in the second part of 2013 that with a good car and enough support from his team he can be a top driver. Since then he rarely does mistakes and seems to exploit his cars at their maximum
Indeed, criminally underrated driver. People's perception of Grosjean is generally blinded by 'he crashed into my favourite driver'.

But no, I don´t have any problem with him, that´s racing and incredibly bad luck.
Nah, that was Alonso shooting himself in the foot at Suzuka. :wink:

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
Blackout wrote:He's always been very fast and consistent in his lap times. But since the second half of 2013 when he sorted out some tehcnical (and psychological?) problems, he became very solid. He showed in the second part of 2013 that with a good car and enou

Nah, that was Alonso shooting himself in the foot at Suzuka. :wink:
That was Kimi's fault but he has too many fans here

Andres125sx

Jonnycraig wrote:Nah, that was Alonso shooting himself in the foot at Suzuka. :wink:
Nah, that´s what happens when your car is only good for a 7th place in the grid but even so you´re good enough to be fighting for the title :wink:

Racing anycase, you can do mistakes same as your team. Same for your rival. When the mistake comes from a different team/driver then it´s different. Alonso lost many points in Spa due to Grosjean, when he or his team didn´t do anything wrong, while Vettel didn´t lose one single point for external reasons to his team/car/driving, and that made the difference in the end. Only with their own mistakes (from Alonso, his car or the team) he would have won his third title.

Jonnycraig

Andres125sx wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Nah, that was Alonso shooting himself in the foot at Suzuka. :wink:
Nah, that´s what happens when your car is only good for a 7th place in the grid but even so you´re good enough to be fighting for the title :wink:

Racing anycase, you can do mistakes same as your team. Same for your rival. When the mistake comes from a different team/driver then it´s different. Alonso lost many points in Spa due to Grosjean, when he or his team didn´t do anything wrong, while Vettel didn´t lose one single point for external reasons to his team/car/driving, and that made the difference in the end. Only with their own mistakes (from Alonso, his car or the team) he would have won his third title.
Vettel actually lost 12-15 points in Malaysia when Narain 'the cucumber' Karthikeyan drive into the back of him whilst being lapped.

Plus 7 points in Austin when Karthikeyan ignored blue flags :wink:

Andres125sx

So debatable... and Alonso lost a lot more points in Spa, it was one of the few tracks of the season where Ferrari showed stronger pace than RBR. Massa started from 14th and finished 5th, Alonso started 6th...

And you must be kidding about Austin, Narain´s only mistake was being there on a twisty seccion, and Vettel didn´t lose any position there, only some time as any other car lapping cars.

Jonnycraig

Andres125sx wrote:So debatable... and Alonso lost a lot more points in Spa, it was one of the few tracks of the season where Ferrari showed stronger pace than RBR. Massa started from 14th and finished 5th, Alonso started 6th...

And you must be kidding about Austin, Narain´s only mistake was being there on a twisty seccion, and Vettel didn´t lose any position there, only some time as any other car lapping cars.
Not sure what is debatable, Karthikeyan drove into Vettel and was penalised after the race for it. :|

As for Austin, Vettel would have won the race easily had he not been held up by Karthtikeyan.

Albeit this is all wildly off topic :lol:

i70q7m7ghw

They are running a chassis built by Dallara... like this one...

And...

History repeating itself?

strad

sgth0mas wrote:
strad wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:Awesome! Good to see haas get a relatively solid driver and not just a pay driver.
Relatively solid driver???? Best joke I've heard this week.
Im not sure if you think hes better or worse than solid. Can you elaborate?

Regardless, im happy for haas...it seems theyre on a good path.
I rate him only marginally better than Maldonado.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jonnycraig

Diesel wrote:They are running a chassis built by Dallara... like this one...

History repeating itself?
In a word.....no.

The initial Dallara chassis that HRT got was perfectly suitable for the job. The issue was that after it was built, Dallara set about a huge update to be introduced for the European part of the season, only for HRT to be unable to pay for it. Subsequently they ended up running the exact same car throughout the season.

The Haas chassis is being built by Dallara to Ferrari specs and all future works will be to set designs given to them by Haas/Ferrari. They are merely a subcontractor this time, rather than a designer.

ME4ME

I agree with Jonnycraig. Ferrari design build by Dallara should be just fine, especially if there are enough funds to improve year on year.

Besides, Haas will probably already have tested it with PU mounted etc, on the dynamic rolling bank at Ferrari. Bending and twisting issues will be found. Dallara-HRT never had that off-track testing possibility.

And for the first year you've got to get your aim right: it's not like they'll be competing with Mercedes and Red Bull. They will go up against Manor and Sauber.

Racer X

They should do just fine enough to be in the back of the midfield I dont think they will be dead last.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

SteveRacer

During the practice session yesterday there was an interview with Haas about the second driver. They had asked him why there was no announcement yet and he responded that it is no secret his second driver will be one of the current Ferrari reserve drivers. I find that a little disappointing as there are better choices out there.

giantfan10

SteveRacer wrote:During the practice session yesterday there was an interview with Haas about the second driver. They had asked him why there was no announcement yet and he responded that it is no secret his second driver will be one of the current Ferrari reserve drivers. I find that a little disappointing as there are better choices out there.
Disapointing why?...you think Ferrari dont expect "repayment" for all the help they are giving Haas raceing?.. look at mercedes and manor for 2016.. i do recall a mercedes development driver being mentioned for a drive with Manor IIRC

FW17

giantfan10 wrote:
SteveRacer wrote:During the practice session yesterday there was an interview with Haas about the second driver. They had asked him why there was no announcement yet and he responded that it is no secret his second driver will be one of the current Ferrari reserve drivers. I find that a little disappointing as there are better choices out there.
Disapointing why?...you think Ferrari dont expect "repayment" for all the help they are giving Haas raceing?.. look at mercedes and manor for 2016.. i do recall a mercedes development driver being mentioned for a drive with Manor IIRC

Neither Esteban Gutiérrez not Jean Eric Vergne are Ferrari F1 prospects

When was the last driver in a Ferrari who was from their junior programme?
Last edited by FW17 on 25 Oct 2015, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.