Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sgth0mas

Re: Haas - American team in F1

PlatinumZealot wrote:The Haas chassis will be an "extreme" design.. Dallara will use "better" - read newer - technologies in it but that doesn't mean it will be competitive. His overconfidence is a good sign though.
That was my thinking...hence relibility concerns. Hopefully Haas actually can challenge the mid field. It would be great to see grosjean mix it up with his former team.

Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:The Haas chassis will be an "extreme" design.. Dallara will use "better" - read newer - technologies in it but that doesn't mean it will be competitive. His overconfidence is a good sign though.
Dallara last go at F1 was anything but advanced(HRT) never mind efficient...
Hopefully this time they'll do better.

ian_s

as has been pointed out several times recently, HRT got what they paid for.
if Haas pay up on time, it'll be a different story

astracrazy

Exactly. HRT could only afford cheap so Dallara built a cheap car as a result. In R&D and production you get what you pay for (more or less). Roll up to Dallara with $$$ in the briefcase and they will give you something much better.

Jonnycraig

Sevach wrote:
Dallara last go at F1 was anything but advanced(HRT) never mind efficient...
Hopefully this time they'll do better.
Eh? There was nothing wrong with the Dallara chassis. The issue was that Hispania swiftly ran out of cash and couldn't afford to pay for the huge upgrade Dallara had worked on for Barcelona. Hence they ran the same car in Brazil as they started with in Melbourne.

ESPImperium

The HRT F110 was a good car, upgraded twice in aero terms, once for the wing mirror change and then again for 'lightweight' parts to be put on it to reduce the weight by 10Kg in aero terms. The car was 25Kg overweight at the start of the year, but when Kolles got his usual development path for a car in reducing its weight, and with the reduction in weight and by Japan it was 45Kg lighter than the next nearest in the 3 new teams in the Lotus Racing T127 as it had 20kg of ballast to play with, but was much better in aero terms, but it lacked many items at the start of the year.

The HRT F110 was said to have had a 3 updates planned from Dallara though the 2010 season, one massive one at Barcelona worth 1.5 seconds a lap and then 2 other smaller ones at Spa and finally Japan, both of which were worth 0.7 of a second. I theory the F110 could have been 3 seconds up the road at the end of the 2010 season, it was naive to begin with but had a hell of a lot of development work that was planned, front wing/Floor/DDD/Rear Wing/Engine Cover/Side pods/Barge boards. Each upgrade was to cost the team €2m per car for the big package and €1.2m per car for the smaller ones. In theory, if the Dallara and Kolles plans came together, the car would have been 5 seconds faster at the end of the year in lap time to its base performance of being 7-8 seconds off the pace. In theory the F110 could have been a points scorer.

I have no doubts that the Dallara-Haas will be right on the pace, and easily as quick as the present Sauber/STR/McLaren/Force India/Lotus battle, it will be right in the middle. The chassis ill have an eye on is the Manor-Mercedes. Id love to have 22 competitive cars within 2 seconds of one another at Q1 pace and 3.5 seconds of overall Quali pace.

PlatinumZealot

It is Dallara who makes tge Gp2 chassis and those are pretty quick. I think they do the japanese super formula. Too and those cars are even quicker than f1 in low speeds.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

cossie

From my understanding and I may be misinformed is that Hass has done much of the design and more than likely regardless of what Hass and Ferrari say they Ferrari is helping with the design since all the wind tunnel work is being done with Ferrari's wind tunnel. Dallara being tasked with the build of the chassis

Raleigh

It's a clever arrangement. Ferrari is doing all the aero development by loaning engineers to Haas, doubling their own wind tunnel time because these engineers will return to Ferrari after completing their parallel development.

The car itself is an evolved F-14T with a lot of aero work and the 2016 Ferrari suspension, brake system, gearbox, engine etc, with the chassis built by Dallara.

Honestly could be quite competitive, but little thanks to Haas.

PlatinumZealot

Interesting comment. It could be one step further in fact! An evolved SF15 with all the extreme and risky ideas that Ferrari wanted to try but couldn't, implemented into it. Could very well be why Haas is saying that the Chassis is "better."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

sgth0mas wrote:
That was my thinking...hence relibility concerns. Hopefully Haas actually can challenge the mid field. It would be great to see grosjean mix it up with his former team.
To a certain extent I'm sure with everything they are getting from Ferrari what's left for Dallara to do will probably stand as a thing of pride for them to make a chasis that is competitive. I mean they have been making second class equipment for decades maybe now it has hit them that this is a chance to show they could make top level gear if they wish to.

I mean HAAS would benefit from Dallara placing their best foot forward. There could be something there if Dallara is dedicated I'm sure it won't be another Spanish Team Fiasco. But a real and competitive attempt. But should they be this cocky. Why not it suits the American Team to moan and grunt all day until they show what they can do. Only problem is if they do good expect more of it...... =D>

Like others have said what does HAAS have to risk or Dallara or Ferrari why not go into some super prototype concepts and go from there perhaps the HAAS car will be revolutionary. Although that's not always good look at McLaren they had the best car after redbull in 2012 and threw it all away in 2013 because they wanted to push the edge of F1 it could have turned out great but it didn't. But what does HAAS have to loos. Nothing...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

bhall II

This is Haas' car, or at least an evolution of it at some point. It was initially posted here by user GM7, but incorrectly dismissed by another user as the W06.

I've adjusted the perspective of each screenshot to create more natural views.

(Click to enlarge)

You can clearly see the influence of the SF15-T in the front wing, barge boards, sidepod inlets, airbox, and in the transition from the nose cone to the chassis. Where they differ is the front suspension, the "Coke bottle" area, and the sidepod turning vanes, of which the last two are more like the early-spec RB11. It also has a short nose.

(Click to enlarge)

That's an interesting juxtaposition, given Red Bull's eventual adoption of a more Ferrari-like sidepod layout.

turbof1

Bhall II wrote: It also has a short nose.
Ferrari might have eyed this as well. The issue with these short noses is that they are a very big engineering challenge due the transition from the high chassis to the low nose tip. Either there are compromises on chassis height, or Ferrari and Haas will have found a way to make the construction possible.
#AeroFrodo

Samraj_official

So why is this Yellow car such a mish mash of other F1 cars? is it for livery designing purposes or an actual CAD representation of an HAAS F1 car? and that short nose looks too good a construction for a start-up team!!!!!!!

turbof1

Samraj_official wrote:So why is this Yellow car such a mish mash of other F1 cars? is it for livery designing purposes or an actual CAD representation of an HAAS F1 car? and that short nose looks too good a construction for a start-up team!!!!!!!
Normally I'd agree with you, but the car has been developed by Ferrari employees, with Ferrari resources. It's entirely possible this is going to be the car for next, even though I have to say creating that short of a nose is not easy. Ferrari did not bothered with it this year; they could next year however.

I do think the 2 yellow cars are different. The one on the left looks definitely to have a longer nose. it also looks like different sidepods, although I could be mistaken by the depth of view.
#AeroFrodo