Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
proteus

Re: Haas - American team in F1

the question is, if the 60% model presents 60% of mass as well. Then use of original materials makes sense.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

iotar__

proteus wrote:the question is, if the 60% model presents 60% of mass as well. Then use of original materials makes sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WZt7GjmLzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxmOQmnaGw
Sauber's wind tunnel videos explaining some aspects of models and sizes. They mention tyres, wheels, vibrations affecting measurements. If it moves = more important and worth it?

Tim.Wright

I don't remember if the wheels are still homologated at the start of the season, but I'd imagine that these parts aren't likely to change during the season, need to last 100's of hours in the wind tunnel, plus dozens of assembly/disassembly cycles should be made of something more robust than a 3D printed material. I think the accuracy and surface finish would be better too.

Also, I'd imagine that having heavier masses attached to the balances would make them less susceptible to aero flutter since they are in effect a inertia damper.
Not the engineer at Force India

sgth0mas

proteus wrote:I wonder why they dont use simple 3D printed rim out of plastic? Would it not be cheaper and easier to use, or is there a firmer reason to use metal?
Surface quality, durability and comparitive cost. 3d prints are horrible surface quality, require a lot of post processing to improve, have poor dimensional stability, and just arent durable. The cost would be close to a wash in f1 terms for an inferior product.

Facts Only

CNC machining capabilty is one area that HAAS certainly isnt lacking in, they might as well use it.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

R_Redding

sgth0mas wrote:Surface quality, durability and comparitive cost. 3d prints are horrible surface quality, require a lot of post processing to improve, have poor dimensional stability, and just arent durable. The cost would be close to a wash in f1 terms for an inferior product.
The 3D printing machines used by high end industry/space are light years ahead of comsumer grade 3d printers using plastics. Audi are investing heavily in "powder to component" technologies for the whole VW group.

Audi F1 car..
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/pre ... typ-c-5095

An alternative to printing is the CNC additive and subtractive class of machines.

Hybrid ( Additive and Subtractive manufacturing) machine by DMG Mori
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IdZ2pI5dA

Rob

Brian Coat

Yes and Audi's SLS efforts are even somewhat quaint compared to this ...

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/11/0 ... ver-flown/

sgth0mas

Im not talking about consumer grade, im talking even high end multi million DMLs and similar metal printers. The surface quality is no better than 250rms and the parts are only near net shape. They will still require cnc work.

So from the perspective of cost and convenience, its much easier to cnc that simple of a geometry.

I have direct industry experience ordering 3d printed and machined parts...and rarely does 3d printing make econimical sense for actual test pieces like this...except maybe for complex geometry, flow paths or when lead time prevents other viable options from working. Plastic prints are great visualization and fit check tools however.

Brian Coat

It's true that 3D cannot get the same finishes as machining.

The housing I posted above appears to have unmachined aerofoils on a part which is as just aerodynamically critical as a race car part.

The 3D printing industry is moving quickly and I would not be surprised to see it displace some other methods on some F1 aero test parts over time.

dren

Yes, I expect 3D to get there, but everything I have seen still required machining as you all mention.
Honda!

kptaylor

Silly season continues. Smedley to Haas?

RSF1

kptaylor wrote:Silly season continues. Smedley to Haas?
Yes ! It would be fantastic for the team ! But this is surprising given his role at Williams; Have you other informations about that ?

ME4ME

Not sure why that would be fantastic, I mean he seems to be a nice guy .. but Williams is an operational mess at races: pit stop issues, wrong tires at SPA, questionable strategy in general. Not sure Smedley is on top of things.

Nathanael F1

"Romain baby, stay cool" just doesn't sound right.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

kptaylor

RSF1 wrote:
kptaylor wrote:Silly season continues. Smedley to Haas?
Yes ! It would be fantastic for the team ! But this is surprising given his role at Williams; Have you other informations about that ?
http://www.thisisf1.com/2015/11/20/rob- ... o-williams

Apparently quote from an Autosprint article.