Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: Haas - American team in F1

I don't think Danica is that bad imo. She wasn't driving for the best team in indycar, considering Ganassi and Penske are the best teams. Andretti is probably the 3rd best team on the grid, but her record on Indy isn't that bad at all tbh considering the field is packed with mostly male drivers. I agree stock car racing isn't maybe her thing, but she still has the ability to race. At least she's actively racing at the moment, unlike Susie Wolff waiting her time to get her hands on that wheel of that Williams.

If I was Haas, I would take the Indycar champion to F1.

bhall II
bhall II

Cam wrote:Both sexes do it, most sports have their respective 'pin ups', and use that to further their careers. Fully acceptable. If you believe that you cannot take a woman seriously for doing exactly the same thing as a man - well, there's a word for that.

The line is drawn at singling out a woman and then suggesting they can handle "knobs" so they must be suitable. I realise I'm the only one where who has an issue with that kind of tonne, which is kinda sad.
The assertion was playfully made that two male drivers who have experience turning knobs on a steering wheel might be qualified for F1 because of it. My joke about Danica boxing with Richard, one for which I won't apologize, was an extension of that.

I come from a school of thought which teaches that very little is off-limits in terms of humor, because if someone has to treat a particular demographic differently than others, then that particular demographic is, by definition, unequal. That just doesn't seem right to me.

On Patrick's driving qualifications, I have no idea if she's suitable for Formula One or not, but her record in IRL and Sprint Cup suggests the latter. Her lone IRL victory was taken at a race in which many of the top drivers weren't present, and her results in Sprint Cup have been mediocre. In both disciplines, her performance trend has gone the wrong direction, too.

That's not to say she won't end up in F1, because she's a self-made marketing machine. But what I find most interesting is that no one at Haas has ever voluntarily brought up Patrick as a potential candidate for F1; rather, they've merely responded to media inquiries on the subject.

natehall
natehall

And Why would a leading Indycar Driver, let alone a champion want to turn up to race in a series with the newest team on the block? when looking at the last set of new teams to enter the fold have proved less than competitive?

I agree Haas has a lot of motorsport pedigree, a lot of tools already at his disposal and more coming but still, none of that is F1 Relevent and that experience has to be earnt

dren

F1 might be a little more entertaining with Danica behind the wheel. We'll get to hear her endless bitching at her team for qualifying last because she thinks they didn't set her car up properly. Then we'll see her bitch at her team when she Mark Webber's the start. But if she miraculously doesn't manage to botch the start, she'll run up the rear of the cars in front of her. And of course she'll hop out of the car and start to punch people. Great show!
Honda!

aleks_ader

bhall II wrote:
Cam wrote:Both sexes do it, most sports have their respective 'pin ups', and use that to further their careers. Fully acceptable. If you believe that you cannot take a woman seriously for doing exactly the same thing as a man - well, there's a word for that.

The line is drawn at singling out a woman and then suggesting they can handle "knobs" so they must be suitable. I realise I'm the only one where who has an issue with that kind of tonne, which is kinda sad.
The assertion was playfully made that two male drivers who have experience turning knobs on a steering wheel might be qualified for F1 because of it. My joke about Danica boxing with Richard, one for which I won't apologize, was an extension of that.

I come from a school of thought which teaches that very little is off-limits in terms of humor, because if someone has to treat a particular demographic differently than others, then that particular demographic is, by definition, unequal. That just doesn't seem right to me.

On Patrick's driving qualifications, I have no idea if she's suitable for Formula One or not, but her record in IRL and Sprint Cup suggests the latter. Her lone IRL victory was taken at a race in which many of the top drivers weren't present, and her results in Sprint Cup have been mediocre. In both disciplines, her performance trend has gone the wrong direction, too.

That's not to say she won't end up in F1, because she's a self-made marketing machine. But what I find most interesting is that no one at Haas has ever voluntarily brought up Patrick as a potential candidate for F1; rather, they've merely responded to media inquiries on the subject.
I dont think the competitiveness will be the case of 1st woman in f1. I doubt that. I think whole discusion loose the point and whole objective of hiring Usa woman in usa team.

What is matters is the all exposure and all that stuff (glamor, controversy, gossips etc.). Even that, the present formula is anything than just pure driver pace (sadly or not). So in this patient, driver-intelligent, fuel&tire saving formula could had womans even more chances than many many people thinks. I think for couple years (2 yrs) is better to shake the grid with huge PR-boomb and steel some $ from midfield.

So results in the 1st yrs (2-4 yrs or even more) will be 2nd goal or just consequence of good work. Firstly is important to give sponsors credit and exposure during the period of establishment and settlement of the team. That means when you establish internal technical (hierarchy policy, aero, mech, electronic, partners connection and supply canals), economical, PR expertise and other stuff in one working healthy group.

So when you had team ready to make step further you already establish strong sponsorships background and then replace the woman with real deal- pro driver (american or not, when are results it doesnt matter). At end of the day is all about money, nothing personal.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

strad

Whoa...How was Hunt an a-hole away from the track?
Where did you get that? From a stupid movie? What do you base that on? From all accounts he was a great, and fun guy.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pierce89

strad wrote:
Actually, I think it'd be great to have Kyle Busch have a go at it. F1 would finally have a driver with personallity again.
I love it when you joke around like that.
Neither Kurt nor Kyle have any personality imo, Unless by personality you mean being jerks. and neither could begin to belong in an F1 cockpit. again imo.
Kurt Busch is the last old school wheelman in existence. "The Outlaw" would be perfect in f1. Kyle is a spoiled dbag, but Kurt has paid his dues and come out the other side a better driver.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

NathanOlder

natehall wrote:And Why would a leading Indycar Driver, let alone a champion want to turn up to race in a series with the newest team on the block? when looking at the last set of new teams to enter the fold have proved less than competitive
Because people have a vision or dream of succeeding at the highest level. More importantly, a chance to prove themself against the worlds best.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Racer X

WaikeCU wrote:I don't think Danica is that bad imo. She wasn't driving for the best team in indycar, considering Ganassi and Penske are the best teams. Andretti is probably the 3rd best team on the grid, but her record on Indy isn't that bad at all tbh considering the field is packed with mostly male drivers. I agree stock car racing isn't maybe her thing, but she still has the ability to race. At least she's actively racing at the moment, unlike Susie Wolff waiting her time to get her hands on that wheel of that Williams.

If I was Haas, I would take the Indycar champion to F1.

INDY isnt like F1 where a team like Marrusia cant dream off a Podium no matter how good or bad their drivers are. All the cars are off the shelf standard issue the only thing that separates teams apart might be their luxy off track and how much money they make annually but the cars are all the same out on grid when the checkered flag waves its the same engine on the same chassis same tires same suspension and identical steering wheels.

So if you go into a season with the worst team on the grid you still have the same car as the best team on the gird. Thats no excuse its like GP2 but its considered to be the top open wheel series in the United States.

if she or anything really is that much better then anyone else they will stand out season after season year after year race after race winning all the time.

Il give you an example

Juan Pablo Montoya every year since he got to Indy Car has always remained on the top 5 at the very least in a series where the cars are all build by one brand. Hes a retired F1 driver that if he came back he might not be able to even properly operate the New F1 Cars let alone beat a Driver like Kamui Kobayashi.

So the whole less funded team thing doesn't apply here. in F1 it makes all the difference but not in INDY or NASCAR
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Cam

NathanOlder wrote:
natehall wrote:And Why would a leading Indycar Driver, let alone a champion want to turn up to race in a series with the newest team on the block? when looking at the last set of new teams to enter the fold have proved less than competitive
Because people have a vision or dream of succeeding at the highest level. More importantly, a chance to prove themself against the worlds best.
Does that really hold true anymore? Unless you're in a top team, there is little chance of success. Even then the politicking can change that mid-season. The grid of drivers certainly does not reflect all the "worlds best", IMO. One could even argue that F1 is only the pinnacle in name alone.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

MOWOG

One could even argue that F1 is only the pinnacle in name alone.
I second that. All in favor?

Many years ago, Juan Pablo and Jeff Gordon swapped cars after a race at Indy. Gordon impressed quite a few people that day with his pace in the Williams F1 car. Some people wondered why he didn't make the jump to Formula One. The answer, of course, was money. Lots and lots of money. Gordon simply couldn't afford to take the pay cut that going to F1 would require.

There are damn few drivers dragging down big paychecks in the sport any more. :cry:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Moxie
Moxie

bhall II wrote:

I find it ironic that I say this because I have had my fair share of humorous posts down voted and deleted, and I was displeased about that. However, humor does not need to be disrespectful. Questions about how Danica Patric raises sponsorship money are just as valid as questions about how Pastor Maldonado raises his. That doesn't mean it is OK to go straight for middle school quality innuendo.

When cracking wise, it is usually a good idea to ask oneself "Would I be upset if someone said that about me/my child/my spouse/my mom."

On a separate note @MOWOG. Aye

Cam

bhall II wrote: I come from a school of thought which teaches that very little is off-limits in terms of humor, because if someone has to treat a particular demographic differently than others, then that particular demographic is, by definition, unequal. That just doesn't seem right to me.
You seem to pull that one out whenever it suits your argument - that somehow it's ok, regardless of what anyone thinks. Go to Saudi Arabia and tell them a goat joke or one about their prophet. See how "right" that seems to you then.

There's a little something called "tact" and it's employed, not because we believe something to be right or wrong, but because intentionally offending people isn't cool - no matter how unequal it may appear. That's not "treating a particular demographic differently than others", it's called having respect.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

strad

Get back on target PLEASE
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Racer X

Cam wrote:
bhall II wrote: I come from a school of thought which teaches that very little is off-limits in terms of humor, because if someone has to treat a particular demographic differently than others, then that particular demographic is, by definition, unequal. That just doesn't seem right to me.
You seem to pull that one out whenever it suits your argument - that somehow it's ok, regardless of what anyone thinks. Go to Saudi Arabia and tell them a goat joke or one about their prophet. See how "right" that seems to you then.

There's a little something called "tact" and it's employed, not because we believe something to be right or wrong, but because intentionally offending people isn't cool - no matter how unequal it may appear. That's not "treating a particular demographic differently than others", it's called having respect.

Yeah you cant be pulling out excuse that its okay to say racist (in not saying anyone was) or sexist(im not saying anyone was) remarks its true that sometimes an individual might practically be welcoming being called stupid for example Pastor Maldonado when he crashes. Its okay to call him a stupid driver. But for example going to far would be claiming anything other then that because of his Race. not that's just an incompetent Driver because hes an idiot but not because of where he comes from or religion or gender.

Susie Wolf and Danica Patric are going around acting taking sexy pictures that kind of welcomes anyone to express any form of attraction towards them but it does not allow any off us to insult all female drivers or any or even claim their not real drivers because they make a little extra dollar off the track showing what ever they want to show.... I mean look at Lewis he shows how un cool he is and makes money with it good for him. But i just think its okay to treat an individual as he deserves but never to cross the line of claiming some one is the way they are due to Gender or Race or Religion their are smart people ugly people dumb people in all Races all Religions and both Genders.

Its all kind off a grey area and you have to be quite specific and case by case too never Generalize..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ