Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Radley

Re: Haas - American team in F1

Backing up to Jeff Gordon for a minute- he said after that run at Indy in the Williams BMW (on Wind Tunnel), that he couldn't go into F1 for 2 reasons: 1) he felt he was too old and 2) (this part really got me) he said he had over 200 people depending on him for a living. He said he couldn't tell everyone on his team "Hey you're fired, I'm going to Europe". I certainly respect that.

Gene Haas, are you listening: Ross Brawn is available. He built up Benetton to a winner, then rebuilt Ferrari into a winner, then built up Honda (nee Brawn) to win and then Mercedes (I give him credit for this years car).

Moxie

That would probably be the best thing Haas could do. Hire Ross Brawn, and stay out of the way.

xpensive

Moxie wrote:That would probably be the best thing Haas could do. Hire Ross Brawn, and stay out of the way.
You guys still think this is serious, Gene Haas is a master of free publicity, just look how he had everybody fooled that he was "sponsoring" Ferrari, when it was just a little sticker as Technical partner, along with Brembo and SKF, see above.

Why would he spend hundreds of millions to market Haas automation in F1 when he can get it for free through media?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

countersteer

Haas announces technical partnership with Scuderia Ferrari.
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rtnership/

Also name change to Haas F1 Team.
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/108135-f1- ... ty-website

iotar__

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28875.html "Gene Haas told NCBSN: "We're going to try to get as many parts as allowed by the FIA. "It's going to be suspension, it's going to be I think wheels and chassis parts and transmission, engine. Everything down to even the steering modes.
"One of the prior Concorde Agreements was that the big teams could help the smaller teams, so we hope to get a lot of help from Ferrari to tell us what direction to go in," said Haas."

I want 100 points for my brilliant prediction of this happening ;-) . They'll get to the whole car (couple of races later) soon enough.

FW17

iotar__ wrote:http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28875.html "Gene Haas told NCBSN: "We're going to try to get as many parts as allowed by the FIA. "It's going to be suspension, it's going to be I think wheels and chassis parts and transmission, engine. Everything down to even the steering modes.
"One of the prior Concorde Agreements was that the big teams could help the smaller teams, so we hope to get a lot of help from Ferrari to tell us what direction to go in," said Haas."

I want 100 points for my brilliant prediction of this happening ;-) . They'll get to the whole car (couple of races later) soon enough.

I am not sure of which concord agreement and FIA regulations he is talking about, but in the current form any sharing of component other than drivetrain and transmission is not allowed.

xpensive

Bah, total nonsense, Gene Haas is a tad too smart from engaging in F1.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Blanchimont

The 2014 Sporting regs say:

"1. A constructor shall, in respect of the Listed Parts to be used in its cars in Formula One, only use Listed Parts which are designed by it.

2. The obligation to design and use Listed Parts shall not prevent a constructor from outsourcing the design and/or manufacture of any Listed Parts to a third party (including an associate of such constructor) provided that :
a) It retains the exclusive right to use the Listed Parts in Formula One so long as it competes in Formula One.
b) In the case of the outsourcing of manufacture such third party shall not be a competitor.
c) In the case of the outsourcing of design, such third party shall not be a competitor or a person who directly or indirectly designs Listed Parts for any competitor.

3. No competitor shall be entitled to share any information on the Listed Parts including but not limited to the supply of or access to drawings designated by such competitor with another competitor nor to receive or supply consultancy or any other kind of services to another competitor in relation to the Listed Parts including but not limited to the supply of or access to drawings."

The 2014 Listed Parts(the red part is gone for 2015):
"-Monocoque
-Survival cell as defined in Article 1.14 of the F1 Technical Regulations
-Front impact structures used to meet the requirements of Articles 16.2 and 16.3 of the F1 Technical Regulations
-Roll over structures - roll structures as regulated by Article 15.2 of the F1 Technical Regulations
-Front and rear suspension without rotating parts
-Suspension geometry and suspension members as regulated by Articles 10.2 and 10.3 of the F1 Technical Regulations

-Bodywork as defined in Article 1.4 of the F1Technical Regulations and regulated by Article 3 of the F1 Technical Regulations with the exception of airboxes, engine exhausts and any prescribed bodywork geometries
-Wings
-Front and rear brake duct
-Floor
-Diffuser"

and for 2015:
"-Monocoque
-Front impact structures used to meet the requirements of Articles 16.2 and 16.3 of the F1 Technical Regulations
-Roll over structures - roll structures as regulated by Article 15.2 of the F1 Technical Regulations
-Bodywork as defined in Article 1.4 of the F1Technical Regulations and regulated by Article 3 of the F1 Technical Regulations with the exception of airboxes, engine exhausts and any prescribed bodywork geometries
-Wings
-Floor
-Diffuser"
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Moxie

In other words Haas may source the listed parts from Dallara, and everything else from Ferrari.

countersteer

Moxie wrote:In other words Haas may source the listed parts from Dallara, and everything else from Ferrari.
That's basically how the NASCAR team is run except everything comes from Hendrick. Engines, chassis, body... everything.

FW17

Blanchimont wrote:The 2014 Sporting regs say:

"1. A constructor shall, in respect of the Listed Parts to be used in its cars in Formula One, only use Listed Parts which are designed by it.

2. The obligation to design and use Listed Parts shall not prevent a constructor from outsourcing the design and/or manufacture of any Listed Parts to a third party (including an associate of such constructor) provided that :
a) It retains the exclusive right to use the Listed Parts in Formula One so long as it competes in Formula One.
b) In the case of the outsourcing of manufacture such third party shall not be a competitor.
c) In the case of the outsourcing of design, such third party shall not be a competitor or a person who directly or indirectly designs Listed Parts for any competitor.

3. No competitor shall be entitled to share any information on the Listed Parts including but not limited to the supply of or access to drawings designated by such competitor with another competitor nor to receive or supply consultancy or any other kind of services to another competitor in relation to the Listed Parts including but not limited to the supply of or access to drawings."

The 2014 Listed Parts(the red part is gone for 2015):
"-Monocoque
-Front and rear suspension without rotating parts
-Suspension geometry and suspension members as regulated by Articles 10.2 and 10.3 of the F1 Technical Regulations

-Wings
-Front and rear brake duct
-Floor
-Diffuser"

and for 2015:
"-Monocoque
-Wings
-Floor
-Diffuser"
That is some good news, glad it went through.

Hope it is helpful to both Haas and the existing small teams

SteveRacer

I came across this on thisisf1.com and found it interesting. He expects to spend quite a it of money. His comments earlier about buying as much as he can made me think he was trying to do this on a shoe-string budget.

Haas not worried about F1 boss comments

Gene Haas has played down suggestions Bernie Ecclestone could freeze him out of F1 long before his team’s scheduled 2016 debut.

The American might be forgiven if he was alarmed by the F1 supremo’s latest statements, including Ecclestone’s desire for “a formula one with eight teams with three cars each”.

And as backmarker Caterham sits on the brink of collapse this week, Ecclestone told The Sun: “I think it’s better they go.

“I don’t want people going around with begging bowls,” he added.

But if Ecclestone’s stance sounds ominous for a small startup beginning to plan for its 2016 debut, Gene Haas insisted: “We have a license, we will be there.

“Unless something changes that would be a shock to me,” he told CNN.

“I think Bernie’s objective is to have teams who are well-structured, well-funded and that race at a level that the world championship requires,” Haas added.

He said that with the sport’s existing teams spending between $50 million and half a billion per year, “We should be somewhere in the middle of that”.

And a powerful ally for Haas is F1’s most iconic team, Ferrari.

Haas confirmed: “Ferrari wanted to go beyond being just an engine supplier and they were going to help us with the basic structures of the car.

“It’s an honour to have Ferrari help us in this way and we take all the help they can give us because you can’t really get better than Ferrari,” he said. (GMM)

http://thisisf1.com/2014/10/23/haas-wor ... -comments/

FW17

Lets have some fun here.....

Some dude named Adam Jacobs has been appointed as the marketing manager for the team; great news.

Now who will he appoint as the technical director, last i heard was aaron kaufman, jesse james and chip foose were being considered

and they should get paul teutul sr to run the workshops

imagine f1 with these guys around, bernie will not complain about the show anymore

search

Günther Steiner just was interviewed on German TV, he confirmed that they have signed a contract with Ferrari to get all available parts from them, the only thing they build themself is the chassis. First wind tunnel tests are planed for January.