Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Haas - American team in F1

So how american is an american team that buys everything, perhaps even including a Dallara chassis? #-o

And then they'll have the benefit of entering F1 when all the current backmarkers are gone and battle against Force India or Sauber which have constructed their own cars from scratch, then brag about how they ball?

I was somewhat exited of this team before, but the more i read about Haas' comments, the more I read about their 'infrastructure' the less respect i get for them. They should have entered coming 2015, they've postponed it to 2016 already (essentialy strike one of promises that weren't kept, rings a bell, doesn't it).

Am I the only one thinking that when the end of 2015 season approaches HAAS will back out of the F1 project under some claims of concept changes like 3-car teams, and acts done by bernie/FIA to respond to teams fumbling? I could see this project being even less 'real' then USF1, they atleast had a monocoque. I can see HAAS backing out with nothing ever having had just than words - which still would have been, as suggested above, a great source of income for the media attention HAAS has gotten.

I'll say it; there will be NO HAAS F1 Team in 2016.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pierce89

WilliamsF1 wrote:Lets have some fun here.....

Some dude named Adam Jacobs has been appointed as the marketing manager for the team; great news.

Now who will he appoint as the technical director, last i heard was aaron kaufman, jesse james and chip foose were being considered

and they should get paul teutul sr to run the workshops

imagine f1 with these guys around, bernie will not complain about the show anymore
Who is AAron Kaufman? It always amazes me that the Euros seem to ascribe "American Culture" to the bits of TV etc. that are actually more popular in Europe than in the US(a good example would be the German popularity of Harley Davidsons and Corvettes). I don't ask if Caterham is staffed by the cast of Downton Abbey(though that would, apparently, have been better than the engineering group they had). I personally see Haas as a better possibility than Lotus/Caterham or Manor/Virgin/Marussia.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

countersteer
countersteer

Short fluff piece interview with Gene Haas... http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 1-in-2016/

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Struggle to understand why people would not believe Haas have genuine intent to be on the grid.

It's no secret that Ferrari are providing them the engine and full technical support, the same deal they had with Marussia. It's also no secret that Alex Rossi's move from Caterham to Marussia was as part of their link up, with Bianchi intended to move to Sauber next season, Rossi replace him at Marussia for 2015, before driving for Haas in 2016, alongside a Ferrari driver, most likely Marciello who is doing GP2 again in 2015. This was all let out of the bag on SkyF1 during the Spa weekend.

Of course this was all before the collapse of Caterham & Marussia and the spectre of 3 car teams, so it's likely all up in the air now.

search

Jonnycraig wrote:It's no secret that Ferrari are providing them the engine and full technical support, the same deal they had with Marussia.
apparently it goes way further, on from next year there will be change of regulations allowing them to sell way more parts to others than before.

bhall II
bhall II

Got one guy ridiculing the hire of a marketing director - a rather good one at that; Budweiser advertising is iconic in this commercialized land of ours - as if to say the role of raising money in Formula One is superfluous to other activities. I'd say that's probably Job One, because Formula One is really Money One. (Ask Tony Fernandes.)

Then there's another guy perched upon a high horse deriding the team's plan to exploit the rules that allow for the purchase of most everything but a chassis, as if the exploitation of rules isn't deeply encoded in the DNA of Formula One. (Take a tour of Red Bull Technology.)

:?
Last edited by bhall II on 05 Nov 2014, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.

SiLo

Was discussing this with my dad earlier. We both think that they will be on the grid come 2016, but will have seriously underestimated the amount of money they needed to make a fast car, and just how tough it can be at the back of the grid.
Felipe Baby!

Belatti
Belatti

SiLo wrote:Was discussing this with my dad earlier. We both think that they will be on the grid come 2016, but will have seriously underestimated the amount of money they needed to make a fast car, and just how tough it can be at the back of the grid.
Everyone new in F1 does underestimate that. They probably think "look how Force India or Sauber score in the middle of the grid all these years with less than a 100 million a year" but they dont realice those teams have more than 20 years expertise in F1. Its not that you can come, spend the same as them and beat them. Expertise is worth a lot.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

FW17

Pierce89 wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Lets have some fun here.....

Some dude named Adam Jacobs has been appointed as the marketing manager for the team; great news.

Now who will he appoint as the technical director, last i heard was aaron kaufman, jesse james and chip foose were being considered

and they should get paul teutul sr to run the workshops

imagine f1 with these guys around, bernie will not complain about the show anymore
Who is AAron Kaufman? It always amazes me that the Euros seem to ascribe "American Culture" to the bits of TV etc. that are actually more popular in Europe than in the US(a good example would be the German popularity of Harley Davidsons and Corvettes). I don't ask if Caterham is staffed by the cast of Downton Abbey(though that would, apparently, have been better than the engineering group they had). I personally see Haas as a better possibility than Lotus/Caterham or Manor/Virgin/Marussia.

The general opinion is the real smart people do not work for automobile related engineering. The engineers in US are more concentrated/focused towards aero space, computer and electronic engineering. While in Europe you will find a lot of (real smart) engineers in the automobile industry.

The real auto engineers in the US are very much in the background hid behind in the huge corporations (many shunted out by take overs and closures) that they are not identifiable.

xpensive
xpensive

Belatti wrote:
SiLo wrote:Was discussing this with my dad earlier. We both think that they will be on the grid come 2016, but will have seriously underestimated the amount of money they needed to make a fast car, and just how tough it can be at the back of the grid.
Everyone new in F1 does underestimate that. They probably think "look how Force India or Sauber score in the middle of the grid all these years with less than a 100 million a year" but they dont realice those teams have more than 20 years expertise in F1. Its not that you can come, spend the same as them and beat them. Expertise is worth a lot.
Correct my latin friend, fagedid, ain't gonna happen-
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Belatti
Belatti

xpensive wrote:Correct my latin friend, fagedid, ain't gonna happen-
[/quote][/quote]

:?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I really wonder how close the cooperation between Haas and Ferrari could be. In theory they could buy the steering wheel, complete suspension, dampers and springs, uprights, complete braking system, tank, fuel, engine, gearbox, diff and the rear impact structure. The only thing to design or outsource is the survival cell and the aerodynamics as listed in the list of the listed parts below including the radiators :wink: . But the aero is at the same time the most difficult to get right.

"Monocoque
Survival cell as defined in Article 1.14 of the F1 Technical Regulations
Front impact structures used to meet the requirements of Articles 16.2 and 16.3 of the F1 Technical Regulations
Roll over structures - roll structures as regulated by Article 15.2 of the F1 Technical Regulations
Bodywork as defined in Article 1.4 of the F1Technical Regulations and regulated by Article 3 of the F1 Technical Regulations with the exception of airboxes, engine exhausts and any prescribed bodywork geometries
Wings
Floor
Diffuser"

In this article ( http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/22/sport ... -one-team/ ), Haas seems to be aware of entering F1 is a tough game.

"The first five years is about just surviving," Haas says. "I don't have any grander expectations that we are going to go there and win championships.

"If we can even win one race in five years that would be a tremendous success."

And from here ( http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 10118.html ), we can learn that Haas F1 also aims at having a base in England, where the mechanics and race engineers will work. The chassis will also be designed in Europe in the beginning and then after some time the target is to manufacture the chassis in the US.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

kooleracer
kooleracer

Gene Haas said in his interview with Martin Brundle on SKY that his intentions are to buy as much as the current regulation allows. So I wouldn't be surprised if he takes everything from Ferrari. They have got a world class wind tunnel so aerodynamics should be no problem if they hire the right engineers. I was quite skeptic about the whole project in the beginning but I'm having more faith in the project now. There seems to more thought behind this project then HRT/Virgin and Caterham. They have acknowledge that building everything from scratch is the wrong thing to do.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

FW17

Blanchimont wrote: Wings
Floor
Diffuser"
That is quiet a lot for a new team anyway, understanding and designing the interaction between the suspension and aero. The regulations make this area very difficult with the very small diffuser which forces the teams to design a high rake car which has a lot of trouble in terms of diffuser stalling and other elements separating at the boundary. I think they are better buying a 2 year old car in complete form (if allowed) along with design IP and making evolution on that base. If they start making there own aero for the first year they could have the same experience as Caterham and Marrusia however long a preparation period he has.

ian_s

i think buying in everything you can from an established team like ferrari is a brilliant way to get on the grid, and from there you build up the team structure and get all the behind the scenes stuff right. then you start to design and build your own parts once you've learnt all you can with bought in parts.