Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sebp

Re: Haas - American team in F1

WilliamsF1 wrote:They have no relevant f1 experience, price has nothing to do with it.
Huh? Teaming up with BMS Scuderia Italia from 88' til 92' doesn't count as relevant?

Btw. watching highlights from those years, I never came across any pundit calling that team BMS or Scuderia or what have you. It is always referred to as Dallara.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

FW17

FW17

Sebp wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:They have no relevant f1 experience, price has nothing to do with it.
Huh? Teaming up with BMS Scuderia Italia from 88' til 92' doesn't count as relevant?

Btw. watching highlights from those years, I never came across any pundit calling that team BMS or Scuderia or what have you. It is always referred to as Dallara.

Very commendable of Dallara's sucess in the 80's however how does that equip them to be supplier 25 years later? F1 is different year on year. 2010 chassis was not as per F1 standard and lessons from other open wheel series does not translate to F1 as requirements and development cycles are totally different.

Dallara does not have personals or technical know how to put a car competitive car together and will take years to collect the data and experience just as caterham and marrusia did.

Sebp

If remember correctly Hispania had next to no budget and struggled to pay Dallara for their work. In essence you get what you pay for.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Richard
Richard

Dallara have the advantage of supporting of several open wheel race series so they should have the basic design, production and support process figured out. So that will mean Haas won't be starting from a blank sheet, he can rely on Dallara getting a car to the grid. Obviously getting it competitive is another matter altogether!

FW17

Richard wrote:Dallara have the advantage of supporting of several open wheel race series so they should have the basic design, production and support process figured out. So that will mean Haas won't be starting from a blank sheet, he can rely on Dallara getting a car to the grid. Obviously getting it competitive is another matter altogether!

Totally agree with you. Haas should keep Swift Engineering and Élan Motorsport Technologies as options.

ringo

He needs to hire current technical staff, and place them as directors if he doesn't want to be another backmarker.
Those current guys would know the details and what is required technically to be up to date with the current cars.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Yes, he can get Pat Fry and Tombazis and inject them into the chassis project team at Dallara. Dallara will build what you specify and what you pay for. If a man like Fry directs Dallara on the specifications you can put your money on it that The Haas F1 car will surpass expectations.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

czt
czt

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Richard wrote:Dallara have the advantage of supporting of several open wheel race series so they should have the basic design, production and support process figured out. So that will mean Haas won't be starting from a blank sheet, he can rely on Dallara getting a car to the grid. Obviously getting it competitive is another matter altogether!

Totally agree with you. Haas should keep Swift Engineering and Élan Motorsport Technologies as options.
None of the companies mentioned have the relevant experience at the level required for F1. It simply doesn't exist outside F1 or perhaps the top LMP teams (Audi/Toyota/Porsche), mainly because no-one would want to pay what it would cost to buy it in any normal commercial way.

While a Dallara/Swift/Elan would begin from a higher starting point than most I'm not convinced that it would necessarily be better than starting from scratch and hiring in the relevant F1 experience.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:I have my doubts whenever he goes out and says that he is waiting for Ferrari to hand them the cars without a skin (which i am quiet sure is not going to happen)
In fairness, as said before on this thread, Paddock gossip even before Marussia went bust was that Haas were going to take their place as Ferrari's junior team. Clearly Ferrari won't just give them everything, but the internals, technical support & Marciello will surely be heavily subsidised.
Chuckjr wrote:How much experience does Dallara really have in F1? Do they have any specialty departments which have participated in F1 pre 2015?

Do I understand correctly that basically the entire car is a Ferrari but Dallara will provide all bodywork? Would this include the actual packaging of the internals like power, radiators, exhaust, electronics, etc or does Dallara shape these internal packaging options as a part of their forming the aero package? Or, are all internals dictated by Ferrari and Dallara simply slips the skin on?
As said Dallara built cars for HRT, as well as being very experienced at building spec series cars and also Indycars which run differing engines.

They will be able to take the specs from Ferrari on the internals and get a legal car on the grid, but it's not likely to be particularly cutting edge or competitive.

astracrazy
astracrazy

WilliamsF1 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:Sorry for the noob questions.

How much experience does Dallara really have in F1? Do they have any specialty departments which have participated in F1 pre 2015?
**cough** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispania_F110 **cough**

although we must remember, they can only build a car to the price you are willing to pay - you get what you pay for

in all seriousness they have some experience, but not recent (excluding 2010). They also make GP2 cars, GP3, World Series by Renault and Indy. So in terms of open wheel cars they have a lot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallara
They have no relevant f1 experience, price has nothing to do with it.
It does in a way. The more your willing to pay the more they will spend making/developing that car. HRT were on a low budget and got a simple car with one aero package for the whole year. Pay them more and i bet you get a better car and more upgrades - is what I meant. How that is relative to the rest of the field is another matter.

FW17

astracrazy wrote: It does in a way. The more your willing to pay the more they will spend making/developing that car. HRT were on a low budget and got a simple car with one aero package for the whole year. Pay them more and i bet you get a better car and more upgrades - is what I meant. How that is relative to the rest of the field is another matter.
Let us take the current logic of how f1 works....

Caterham was a start up with no f1 experience. had 400 staff (all with current f1 experience) in for 2011 had a decent budget of around $100 million to build a backmarker and could not produce a backmarker. Caterham 2011 car would not have been any better had the budget been $200 million or $50 million.

Put the same logic on Dallara, what is it that would inspire confidence in Haas that Dallara would be better with 250 employees (with no f1 experience)???

astracrazy
astracrazy

WilliamsF1 wrote:
astracrazy wrote: It does in a way. The more your willing to pay the more they will spend making/developing that car. HRT were on a low budget and got a simple car with one aero package for the whole year. Pay them more and i bet you get a better car and more upgrades - is what I meant. How that is relative to the rest of the field is another matter.
Let us take the current logic of how f1 works....

Caterham was a start up with no f1 experience. had 400 staff (all with current f1 experience) in for 2011 had a decent budget of around $100 million to build a backmarker and could not produce a backmarker. Caterham 2011 car would not have been any better had the budget been $200 million or $50 million.

Put the same logic on Dallara, what is it that would inspire confidence in Haas that Dallara would be better with 250 employees (with no f1 experience)???
I've never once suggested anything to do with Haas going with Dallara?

What your saying there is quantity over quality if you believe that 400 employees with double the budget would produce nothing better. Based on your comment, F1 experience can't be that important then.

I still think your going past the point im saying. If you want someone to build something for you, you'll get asked how much are you looking to spend. If you turn around said minimal (which is most likely close to what HRT said) then that price will only get you so much. If you turn around and said i've got an open cheque book, then i guarantee the product is better. How the product still compares with other competitors is irrelevant (in this sentence). I've never once said Dallara would be a better option. I'm just saying what they produced for HRT can't be taken too seriously for what they could perhaps produce.

FW17

Well if I had an open cheque book I would not ask the guy who built this

to build this

astracrazy
astracrazy

WilliamsF1 wrote:Well if I had an open cheque book I would not ask the guy who built this

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/ ... 6e14b3.jpg

to build this

http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/imag ... lway52.jpg
=D> ....... [-o< ........just forget it :roll: