Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: Haas - American team in F1

A lot of Ferrari people looking for work now and given the HAAS association with Ferrari (on the engine front) it would make sense for them to secure some of their cast offs.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

cossie

Has deeped sixed the dallara idea when he deciced to wait until 2016'. Said that they where. going to design and make the car inhouse

cossie

Forgot to mention this..the 100% tunnel is legal to use Lotus in 2012used it.they can swap 1 full day of straight line test for day of full windtunnel time. Another advantage is windshear also owns a 7 post rig.

bdr529

Haas F1 acquires Marussia factory

According to Racecar Engineering, Gene Haas recently noted he was interested in participating in the Marussia F1 auction, which saw many of the crumbling team's assets sold off to the highest bidders. However, their Banbury factory was not part of the aforementioned auction.

Gene Haas has bought the facility and will use it as his European base with the team's headquarters being developed in North Carolina. With Ferrari power, Haas F1 will join the grid in 2016 with a TBD driver lineup.

The report also added that it is believed Haas also has access to data and designs for Marussia's planned 2015 car.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas- ... ia-factory

WickedF1

bdr529 wrote:Haas F1 acquires Marussia factory

According to Racecar Engineering, Gene Haas recently noted he was interested in participating in the Marussia F1 auction, which saw many of the crumbling team's assets sold off to the highest bidders. However, their Banbury factory was not part of the aforementioned auction.

Gene Haas has bought the facility and will use it as his European base with the team's headquarters being developed in North Carolina. With Ferrari power, Haas F1 will join the grid in 2016 with a TBD driver lineup.

The report also added that it is believed Haas also has access to data and designs for Marussia's planned 2015 car.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas- ... ia-factory
What type of factory was this? Marussia manufactured the cars there? Haas need this big factory in the UK for the cars or they will make the cars in the USA? It seems like a big amount of spend for a secondary base. Maybe he got it cheaps?

dobbster71

Well, that should be good news for the ex-employees of Marussia. I would expect that a fair few of those made redundant will now get their jobs back.
If he's smart, Hass will understand that the Marussia team was making progress. Now that he has access to the data for the Marussia/Manor 2015 car, & the factory itself, I'd be extremely surprised if he did not go ahead & build at least one 2015 chassis. It could be tested until its wheels fell off & would be a great benchmark for the 2016 design.
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

marcush.

tbh why not enter in 2015 already when the car is already there more or less?

There are (2?) 2014 cars which were not shabby at all...they fit a Ferrari PU -so no adaption needed to get the ball rolling .
this would be the perfect benchmark for Marrussias yet to be build 2015 design..giving Haas an instant 3 year progression of designs ....I´d call that a plan.
I do not get why they would not buy it all and take the 40Mill price money as well ...running the show next year under the marrussia /manor entry...

xpensive

marcush. wrote:tbh why not enter in 2015 already when the car is already there more or less?
Yes, a mystery indeed, is it not?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

astracrazy

I wonder if them not entering into 2015 is also at Ferrari's benefit?

So whilst Haas basically have a 2014/2015 car which they can run as much as they like? I'm guessing? Would Ferrari then be able to use them as a test bed for engine updates etc throughout the year?

FW17

astracrazy wrote:I wonder if them not entering into 2015 is also at Ferrari's benefit?

So whilst Haas basically have a 2014/2015 car which they can run as much as they like? I'm guessing? Would Ferrari then be able to use them as a test bed for engine updates etc throughout the year?

Not after hearing Sergio Marchionne's views on testing.

Anyway the issues with Ferrari are more to do with the engine than the chassis it is like racing v12's against the v10's

SectorOne

Or it´s simply that 2016 is a realistic year to fully set things up when you´re building a Formula One team.
Just because you have a car doesn´t mean you are all set to take part in 20 races all over the world.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig

marcush. wrote: I do not get why they would not buy it all and take the 40Mill price money as well ...running the show next year under the marrussia /manor entry...
Because that prize money would presumably not touch the sides of the debts they would have to assume.

If the prize money could've cleared the debts and saved the team, the administrators would've gotten them to Abu Dhabi.

marcush.

how much money will go down the drain if you are starting from scratch? Formula 1 is a money drain BIG TIME for most of those involved..apart from Bernie and those who are his buddies or he thinks have a value for his aims (Ferrari etc).
If you are serious about a Formula 1 effort and plan to go with ferrari Power it just does not make sense not to buy everything what is left from Marussia ( or wait for sauber to collapse - an even better opportunity with the non movable assets of a defacto works team)

The claim of possessing a car does not automatically put you in position to campaign it is not valid....as this is available in Banbury they did that they ARE geared up to do it -and they are lean ....it is the lean approach to just hire those people and take over what is there -campaign what you got instead of building it all up from scratch without any experience of it .

as I understand Marussia missed the timing to actually go to Abu dhabi by hours or minutes not by millions of dollars..so I don´t think the debts are a factor here
you need to be able to pay for all the bills - and thats really a considerable objective in itself.Haas needs to bankroll that side anyways so why not now instead of what ? waiting,for what ? His facility is already in place ,he has bought Marussias place as well ... he needs to hire now as otherwise the people are simply gone .All the expertise... so that in essence will cost aLOT more if you are not racing ...as there is no added value in staying home.

FW17

^

You must remember not all of USF1 was auctioned off. A lot of things were taken back by Haas when USF1 went bust, quiet sure he took the CF production equipment too. The rest of the items of Marrusia were tools, diagnostics and testing equipment most of which Haas will sure to have running a 4 car NASCAR team and the auction was more of a novelty sale with unreal prices for small items.

Jonnycraig

marcush. wrote:as I understand Marussia missed the timing to actually go to Abu dhabi by hours or minutes not by millions of dollars..so I don´t think the debts are a factor here
The administrators were in discussions with investors looking to buy the team but the deals collapsed. The trucks went to the airport so that the cargo could go if a deal was struck.
marcush. wrote:he needs to hire now as otherwise the people are simply gone .All the expertise... so that in essence will cost aLOT more if you are not racing ...as there is no added value in staying home.
Most of the Marussia staff will be of no interest to Haas. They plan to have a skeleton team preparing the cars in Banbury, whilst the majority of the team will be based in America.

Dallara are expected to be doing the design of the car and Ferrari will be providing technical support so their staffing needs are drastically reduced.

They won't be competitive of course, but then by Haas' own admission, their goal is simply to survive 5 years running around with huge Haas branding on the cars.