Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
countersteer
countersteer

Re: Haas - American team in F1

Here's the transcript of the whole press conference.
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/102755-f1- ... imitstart=

I think the previously noted quote was taken out of context. (thank goodness!)

xpensive
xpensive

Oh no...this is not going to fly;

GUENTHER STEINER: Obviously, we have looked to do this, but then again you go back, you're not an American team, and the inhabitants, we didn't want to take that route. So we decided or made up a plan that we do it ourselves, but not completely on our own. We'll have partners which we will work in Europe with. But to buy a current team, it didn't fit what we wanted to do because it needs to be the base needs to be the United States.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

lebesset
lebesset

WilliamsF1 wrote:
"This is not going to be a European just-throw-money-at-things-and-go-racing (approach)," Haas said. "This is going to be an American, well-run, efficient organization.

"We're the most advanced country on the planet, so I don't see any reasons why we can't do this."

Haas explained his decision to start Haas Formula during a 75-minute news conference Monday at a hotel near the future site of his F1 team – the campus of his Stewart-Haas Racing NASCAR team
as another american might say to him ...you cannot be serious !
I am terribly disappointed to hear this attitude , a competitive team from the USA would be a big gain for F1
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

marcush.
marcush.

this does not Sound like they have already decided on their technical Partner,right? To me it sounds like they are looking for something more than Dallara could offer them....more than a simple PU supply...
but if you wanted to start already in 2015 you´d better have your car well advanced by now -architecture and packaging done and Aerodevelopment far advanced ready to go into the Details and commisioning Long leadtime bits .
Of course a complete reareend from one of the suppliers will ease some of the pain of rig testing Transmission etc but its still an ambitious schedule to make the grid next year if you are not planning with a complete 2014 machine ...

xpensive
xpensive

The more I think about it, it sounds just like USF1 again, some Nascar buffs without chassis, engine or sponsor?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

xpensive wrote:The more I think about it, it sounds just like USF1 again, some Nascar buffs without chassis, engine or sponsor?
Not that I have particularly high expectations for this whole thing, but Carl Haas is a bit more than "some NASCAR buff."
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Aesto
Aesto

Looks like the 107% rule will have to be suspended once again...

dobbster71

Jersey Tom wrote:
xpensive wrote:The more I think about it, it sounds just like USF1 again, some Nascar buffs without chassis, engine or sponsor?
Not that I have particularly high expectations for this whole thing, but Carl Haas is a bit more than "some NASCAR buff."
It's not Carl Hass though. I believe that Gene Haas is not related to Carl.
In any case I get the impression that Gene Haas has some marketing budget to spend & he see's F1 as a fun arena in which to spend it. Until today I had never heard of his tooling company & I live in the US!
As far as his team goes, it certainly seems as though this guy wants to purchase as many parts from "off the shelf" as he possibly can, minimizing design & production costs. That's good, but surely only mid & lower teams go down this route?
Also, it would take years for this team to get chassis production know-how & even then there is no guarantee that an in-house chassis would be any good.
Of course, the budget for this team is unknown, but I foresee this team being a back marker for a few years before bowing-out quietly from the F1 scene unless Bernie comes under serious pressure to make the leading chassis manufacturers offer their chassis for sale.
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

xpensive
xpensive

Jersey Tom wrote:
Perhaps that was a bit harsh, I'm aware of the Haas machinery side, but I don't think they have more than vague idea.

Gunther Steiner's xperience of F1 is limited to one season as MD with Jaguar, 13 years ago. The rest is Rallye and DTM.

countersteer
countersteer

Jersey Tom wrote:Not that I have particularly high expectations for this whole thing, but Carl Haas is a bit more than "some NASCAR buff."
It's not Carl. Carl is 84 years old now. I don't think there is a relation to Gene.

countersteer
countersteer

If you're commenting based on the soundbites that have been published, you may be taking the bait. If you read the transcript, you will see that Gene Haas has a better understanding of the issues he's dealing with than have been portrayed.

For example, he indicates that he's a month away before committing to 2015 or shooting for 2016.

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:I have no desire for Haas to become a "USA" team. They should pick their engines, staff, drivers, HQ location, etc. based on what's best for the team, not because they want to foster a national identity. I'd rather they simply be a team that happens to be owned by a US company. I think that alone is enough of a US identity to suit the fans and any sponsors who might care about such things.

Of course, if going with Cosworth saves them money, or gives them a Ford sponsorship, then no one can blame them for taking a look in that direction. And of course, given what we've seen so far this season, we also have to consider that the Cosworth engine might possibly be better than the Ferrari.
They need their base in the UK obviousy, while the problem with Cosworh is that thwy have no engine, just an animation.

xpensive
xpensive

60DShim
60DShim

As an American, I don't see this ending well. Listening to Gene Haas during the news conference I think he is in way over his head. I'm hoping for the best as if they are successful it would help F1 be more popular here in the states but I'm expecting the worst.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

countersteer wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:Not that I have particularly high expectations for this whole thing, but Carl Haas is a bit more than "some NASCAR buff."
It's not Carl. Carl is 84 years old now. I don't think there is a relation to Gene.
...good point! Brain fart on my end.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.