Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Haas - American team in F1

Jeff Gordon has announced retirement from NASCAR at end of 2015, therefore is available for F1?

FW17

Yeah.

A Jeff Gordon F1 team

WaikeCU

Honestly, he has driven a Williams F1 before and I thought he did relatively well for a first experience. If people say F1 has become easier and less physical in the V6 Turbo era, surely Jeff can make it work. Hell, I think even Loeb would be competitive if wants to be in F1.

Despite that dream, I think best case they will go with someone who has a fair bit of experience in single seaters.

countersteer
countersteer

Jeff has been dealing with some serious back issues for the past few seasons. He made a comment recently that the spasms are "tolerable" over a race distance.

Can't see him even driving an F1 car at this point.

Would be nice to see him give a try though.

FW17

Jeff Gordon should have been in F1 in the early 1990's, he had a chance probably but thing did not come together. NASCAR blocked his entry and he was very successful and enjoyed what he was doing so why leave?

PlatinumZealot

I vote john force.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

countersteer
countersteer

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... edia-tour/

Haas told reporters, including NBC’s Dustin Long, things are about where they should be given the timeline.

“We have a little under 50 people right now,” Haas told reporters. “There’s about 50 in Kannapolis, and roughly the same amount in the UK and same in Italy right now.”

The driver lineup is of course going to be something to monitor. American Alexander Rossi has spoken publicly of his desire to race for the team, while Ferrari – Haas’ engine technical partner – has newly signed Esteban Gutierrez and Jean-Eric Vergne as the team’s reserve and test/development drivers in Maranello.

“The driver selection will be at the end of summer,” Haas said. “We’ll need to look around, see who’s available. There could be a new crop of young drivers. Big teams want guys in their 20s. Some are getting concerned about bringing up someone else too fast.”

Haas expects F1 to be a learning process, but he’s hoping some of the team efficiencies and protocols from the Cup side can transfer over to the new F1 team.

“We’ll try to,” Haas said. “I find the whole thing very intriguing. It’s very technologically advanced. The way they deal with everything. It’s all so impressive to begin with, it’s all intriguing. We can learn a lot with Formula 1 and apply to our NASCAR team.

“In NASCAR, we run twice as many races. I’m hoping some of the efficiencies will gives us an advantage.”

Haas said his F1 team will operate out of Ferrari’s wind tunnel rather than his own one in Charlotte. F1’s regulations stipulate only one wind tunnel can be utilized.

Lastly, Haas tempered expectations – but said the team will likely be better than some think it will.

“I won’t say we’ll do great. But we should be more competitive than people think,” he said. “We’re associating with Ferrari. We’re putting our facilities in place. We’re getting our trailers, haulers.

“It’s one thing to have a car and driver but you need the support to make it work. We’re gathering the spares and infrastructure.

“We’re looking good, and we don’t want to be putting things together at the last moment.”

poolboy67

travis pastrana?
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

FW17

“We have a little under 50 people right now,” Haas told reporters. “There’s about 50 in Kannapolis, and roughly the same amount in the UK and same in Italy right now.”
He has 150 people already?

aleks_ader

Haas said his F1 team will operate out of Ferrari’s wind tunnel rather than his own one in Charlotte. F1’s regulations stipulate only one wind tunnel can be utilized.
So they will use scrappy Ferrari parts. Or let say "support". Ofcoarse nothing illegal here. Even 2015 rules provide some extra maneuverability on many areas.
countersteer wrote:“We have a little under 50 people right now,” Haas told reporters. “There’s about 50 in Kannapolis, and roughly the same amount in the UK and same in Italy right now.”
So then that means;

USA: 50 design engineers for CFD, CAD and other modeling (expecially Assembly, of shelf system)
+partner Dalara 50
+Banbury rehired Marussia assembly and manufacturing workers and engineers

So even if he exaggerate he could a least had 100 people working on its project at moment.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

FW17

Haas model testing has begun on the Ferrari Windtunnel as per Racecar-engineering.com

Moxie
Moxie

If Haas has a deal to use Ferrari development drivers Gutierrez and Vergne then that make some sense. However, if this is not the case I think Hass might be better off hiring older journeyman drivers. The roll of the drivers at this point is to develop the car, and there is no substitute for experience, and professionalism. Frankly, for the first year Haas should forget about racing, and instead use every race as a two hour test session. (As much as the rules will allow of course.)

countersteer
countersteer

Ex-Red Bull man to head Haas design
Former Red Bull and Jaguar chief designer Rob Taylor is to head up the design of Haas's new Formula 1 car, AUTOSPORT has learned.
Although the construction of its 2016 F1 challenger is being overseen by Italian racing car maker Dallara, Haas has appointed Taylor as its chief designer to oversee the project.

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/ite ... aas-design

donskar
donskar

countersteer wrote:Ex-Red Bull man to head Haas design
Former Red Bull and Jaguar chief designer Rob Taylor is to head up the design of Haas's new Formula 1 car, AUTOSPORT has learned.
Although the construction of its 2016 F1 challenger is being overseen by Italian racing car maker Dallara, Haas has appointed Taylor as its chief designer to oversee the project.

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/ite ... aas-design
Well, that is a positive step.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

FW17

Haas planning a yellow livery...

http://www.motorspor...016-team-report

"We would love to have a car in line with the company's image," said Haas, whose corporate logo is actually red and silver.

"But it needs to be good, too, because all these cars in silver or grey appear almost identical to each other.

"I would like a colour that makes us distinguishable," said the Californian. "I do like yellow."

"We've looked at several [concepts]," says Haas

"We had one that was basically based on the natural colours of a flame. We thought that was kind of interesting: it starts off white, then goes to yellow, which then goes to red, but it would be just natural colours that you would see.

"Then maybe the other ideas that we are talking about was basically a flat black car with a lot of yellow (Maranello's regional colour) highlights on it. The other, a lot of red, something like that...