Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bdr529

Re: Haas - American team in F1

I don't understand how Fiat has anything to do with the branding or advertising on the car,
the team is owned by Haas so it would be up to them and the deal they have with Ferrari as to whether or not the Ferrari logo or Fiat appears on the car

Now given the opportunity I could see Sergio Marchionne trying to promote Chrysler or even Fiat on the back of a Ferrari powered car for the race in the States but then what so you do for the race in Canada, run the Chrysler logo's and If so your now dealing with Chrysler of Canada and I don't think the want to shell out a bunch of money for 3 days of racing

Who knows by 2016 Fiat may have already floated Ferrari on the stock exchange and then Ferrari would be a stand alone company

Manoah2u

bdr529 wrote:I don't understand how Fiat has anything to do with the branding or advertising on the car,
the team is owned by Haas so it would be up to them and the deal they have with Ferrari as to whether or not the Ferrari logo or Fiat appears on the car

Now given the opportunity I could see Sergio Marchionne trying to promote Chrysler or even Fiat on the back of a Ferrari powered car for the race in the States but then what so you do for the race in Canada, run the Chrysler logo's and If so your now dealing with Chrysler of Canada and I don't think the want to shell out a bunch of money for 3 days of racing

Who knows by 2016 Fiat may have already floated Ferrari on the stock exchange and then Ferrari would be a stand alone company
Because Haas runs Ferrari engines, and Ferrari is a Fiat 'trademark'. Fiat could see an opportunity for brand exposure in the Haas F1 team and try and persuade them to agree on branding the Haas with Chrysler stickers instead of Ferrari [ like RedBull Renault with Infiniti, but then totally leave out Renault badges on the car].

Haas can't just decide what he puts on his car, there will be reason for it. He won't put 'Renault' on his car for example, as he's running a Ferrari engine. Since Chrysler is of the same concern as Ferrari, that would make it an option. Offcourse Haas could say 'no', and that would be it. But that might have consequences; he could get a bigger discount if he'd agree.
And lose marketing opportunity through the american connection [chrysler]. It would be easy money, and thus a shame if one wouldn't grab such an opportunity.

Regarding '3 days of racing', indeed, that won't give much. Even more, I don't think Sergio would want that with the Ferrari at all, as he'd prefer Ferrari Scuderia representing Ferrari in the USA. They want to sell Ferrari's in the USA, too, and they've got plenty of that to work for. They won't ruin that by putting 'Chrysler' on a Scuderia Ferrari, that would be
pure sacriledge and not taken well at Maranello or with the Tifosi.

A year's worth of a car branded with Chrysler however is something worthwhile, instead of just 3 days.

Redbull is running infiniti on the back of the RedBull the entire year, which makes it worthwile for Infinity, even though they're powered by Renault. Infinity belongs to the same concern Renault is a part of. It's a 'sponsorship' agreement the big heads thought about as seeing as lucrative, dispite Renault not enjoying it to the fullest. But they'll have to take it.

In the same sense, the big heads at FIAT could see a lucrative deal in branding Chrysler on the HAAS F1 car.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

just a little excersize by me, altered the yellow livery to be branded with Chrysler, HP, more Haas Red, and 'powered by Ferrari'.

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moxie

I chose my words poorly. My comments comparing GM to Chrystler related to any idea that GM might have hard feelings over the possibility that Haas cars might sport a Chrystler logo. I was attempting to show that these two companies are in different circumstances. The cost of putting a logo on the side of an F1 car is orders or magnitude greater than putting that same logo on the side of a NASCAR. Chrystler is not a stand alone firm. It is wholly owned by FIAT which also owns Ferrari. I agree it would cost FIAT very little to place a Chrystler logo where a Ferrari logo might otherwise appear. GM however is a stand alone firm. For GM to even consider being offended by Haas F1 cars bearing a Chrystler logo is asinine. For GM to ever consider sponsoring an F1 car would be pissing money away.

FYI. You greatly underestimate the politics surrounding these GM and Chrystler. Even though I agree with you that it is reasonable for Fiat to put its Chrystler logo on an F1 car, don't expect it to happen without a fair share of negative criticism. When I mentioned that thousands of people had their pensions and health benefits stripped away from them, I was being polite. The real number is hundreds of thousands of people.

bdr529

Manoah2u wrote:Because Haas runs Ferrari engines, and Ferrari is a Fiat 'trademark'. Fiat could see an opportunity for brand exposure in the Haas F1 team and try and persuade them to agree on branding the Haas with Chrysler stickers instead of Ferrari [ like RedBull Renault with Infiniti, but then totally leave out Renault badges on the car].

Haas can't just decide what he puts on his car, there will be reason for it. He won't put 'Renault' on his car for example, as he's running a Ferrari engine. Since Chrysler is of the same concern as Ferrari, that would make it an option. Offcourse Haas could say 'no', and that would be it. But that might have consequences; he could get a bigger discount if he'd agree.
And lose marketing opportunity through the american connection [chrysler]. It would be easy money, and thus a shame if one wouldn't grab such an opportunity.
"Haas can't just decide what he puts on his car" Yes he can it's his team
"He won't put 'Renault' on his car for example" Only if his deal with Ferrari precludes this

I understand why you feel this way it's a win win for all parties and I would agree, but in your last post you had said
Manoah2u wrote:So if Ferrari doesn't really care, and Chrysler does care, and Gene Haas and Bernie would like more USA promotion in F1 (which they do), then i'd think FIAT could be easily persuaded to understand the benefit here and slam 'Chrysler' on the HAAS cars.

besides, pissing money down the drain? Chrysler is not starting their own F1 foray, Haas is, it doesn't cost Chrysler a single dime, neither does it cost FIAT or Ferrari a dime; Haas is not a works team and thus have to pay for the engines aswell as every other Ferrari part. In other words, no money goes down any drain, in fact, it's free advertising and free money for Chrysler
I couldn't understand why you thought Haas would just hand over advertising space to Fiat so they can, as you say "slam 'Chrysler' on the HAAS cars" for free. Also I couldn't see Haas wanting to loose the branding with Ferrari which would be far more lucrative then being with Chrysler.
You have since cleared that up in this post, Thanks it makes sense now that you have addressed the money side of things
Manoah2u wrote:Regarding '3 days of racing', indeed, that won't give much. Even more, I don't think Sergio would want that with the Ferrari at all, as he'd prefer Ferrari Scuderia representing Ferrari in the USA. They want to sell Ferrari's in the USA, too, and they've got plenty of that to work for. They won't ruin that by putting 'Chrysler' on a Scuderia Ferrari, that would be
pure sacriledge and not taken well at Maranello or with the Tifosi.
I thought it was a given that I was speaking of the Haas cars not Ferrari Scuderia, and I was using you connection between Haas and Ferrari and Fiat using Chrysler ergo Sergio Marchionne the guy in charge
Manoah2u wrote:A year's worth of a car branded with Chrysler however is something worthwhile, instead of just 3 days.
I brought up the 3 days because there is Chrysler and then there is Chrysler Canada a separate company, and because of the race in Montreal I could see them making the Canadian division cover the cost for that race
Manoah2u wrote: Redbull is running infiniti on the back of the RedBull the entire year, which makes it worthwile for Infinity, even though they're powered by Renault. Infinity belongs to the same concern Renault is a part of. It's a 'sponsorship' agreement the big heads thought about as seeing as lucrative, dispite Renault not enjoying it to the fullest. But they'll have to take it.
Yes I'm well a wear of the connection between Infiniti and Renault and the latters disappointment in Red Bull over this

Moxie

On a lighter note...Oscar Meyer is a prominent American brand which has a logo with a lot of yellow. I'd love to see an F1 weinermobile.

cossie

Manoah2u wrote:http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/other/ ... 3391wa.jpg

America has it's own version of that, years before Jordan ran something like they did. Admittedly, i prefer the Jordan ones [ i liked the shark best ]
The Gurney All-American Eagles

Hobbs04

Why Chrysler? Minivans and sedans? Why not SRT? That's is the Viper, Hellcat, and everything else that is an enthusiast car in the Chrysler group.

Here is a free ad in the next motor trend

"Hellcat achieved its 707 hp with F1 inspired state of the art technology learned in Haas F1 team. The cooling requirements of a F1 car are extreme blah blah blah." You get the idea.

Hail22

Or they could go a Eur-American like livery:

Whatever the livery is, I genuinely hope HAAS has a brighter future than Marussia / Caterham etc.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Facts Only

As long as they don't paint it Silver White or Black like seemingly every other team it will be nice change. Haas has mentioned running his team in an American way, a big brash colour scheme would be nice to see.

Something like this over the engine cover would look rather good I think:

"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Facts Only

Facts Only wrote:As long as they don't paint it Silver White or Black like seemingly every other team it will be nice change. Haas has mentioned running his team in an American way, a big brash colour scheme would be nice to see.

Something like this over the engine cover with Yellow tub, sidepods and wings would look rather good I think:

http://www.davewilsonphotography.com/wp ... s-6091.jpg
(I'm not a graphic designer so haven't got the skill to mock something up like the other talented people who have sadly)
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

TAG

Not bad news for Haas/sponsorship.
U.S. Bucks Trend With F1 Viewing Even while Formula One’s television audience drops overall, it managed to grow in the U.S. by 10.1% to 12.6 million viewers last year, according to the sport’s recently released annual media report.

The report also showed that the number of viewers in the U.S. who watched between four and nine races last year increased by 128% while those who watched 10 or more doubled. It adds that NBC Sports Network, which carries the series, “recorded year-on-year increases for every single round shown. On average each race shown on NBCSN attracted 85% more viewers this season when compared to 2013.”

The Canadian Grand Prix, which aired on the main NBC station, drew 3.5 million unique viewers, using the industry-standard measurement of anyone who watched at least 15 non-consecutive minutes of the sport.

The U.S. bucked the sport’s wider trend of declining audiences over the past six years. In that time, the global viewership has slipped steadily from 600 million viewers in 2008 to 425 million in 2014.

The major reason is that over the past three years, the sport has migrated from free-to-air broadcasters to pay channels in a slew of countries. Britain led the way in 2012 Sky Sports began broadcasting all F1 races live while its free-to-air national rival, the BBC, shows only half of them.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

aral

TAG wrote:Not bad news for Haas/sponsorship.
U.S. Bucks Trend With F1 Viewing Even while Formula One’s television audience drops overall, it managed to grow in the U.S. by 10.1% to 12.6 million viewers last year, according to the sport’s recently released annual media report.

The report also showed that the number of viewers in the U.S. who watched between four and nine races last year increased by 128% while those who watched 10 or more doubled. It adds that NBC Sports Network, which carries the series, “recorded year-on-year increases for every single round shown. On average each race shown on NBCSN attracted 85% more viewers this season when compared to 2013.”

The Canadian Grand Prix, which aired on the main NBC station, drew 3.5 million unique viewers, using the industry-standard measurement of anyone who watched at least 15 non-consecutive minutes of the sport.

The U.S. bucked the sport’s wider trend of declining audiences over the past six years. In that time, the global viewership has slipped steadily from 600 million viewers in 2008 to 425 million in 2014.

The major reason is that over the past three years, the sport has migrated from free-to-air broadcasters to pay channels in a slew of countries. Britain led the way in 2012 Sky Sports began broadcasting all F1 races live while its free-to-air national rival, the BBC, shows only half of them.
Unfortunately there is absolutely no way that a viewing figure can be established. TVs do not send out a signal when a programme is switched on. Viewing stats are taken from a small survey and then multiplied up to the number in the country. so if the stats were taken from 1000 diehard f1 fans who all happened to watch the race, the ratings would be boosted to show that 100% viewing was achieved, give or take some variables. then again, if the survey found that none of the surveyed people had turned on the race, then the audience could be shown as NIL.

TAG

Debating standard practice television ratings is probably not best discussed in this forum.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

turbof1

gilgen wrote:
TAG wrote:Not bad news for Haas/sponsorship.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no way that a viewing figure can be established. TVs do not send out a signal when a programme is switched on. Viewing stats are taken from a small survey and then multiplied up to the number in the country. so if the stats were taken from 1000 diehard f1 fans who all happened to watch the race, the ratings would be boosted to show that 100% viewing was achieved, give or take some variables. then again, if the survey found that none of the surveyed people had turned on the race, then the audience could be shown as NIL.
Like TAG said, that doesn't really belong here. However, I'm going to say that this comes down to statistics with probably simple t-testing (sample pool population is big enough). The confidence interval will probably either be 95% or 99%.

In other words, the growth is highly probable to be valid.

Not sure though if Haas is getting significant advantages out of it.
#AeroFrodo