Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Haas - American team in F1

I don't see why F1 is being regarded as so hard to compete. Probably at the moment it is the easiest car to drive of all with exception of LMP1 (which comes with Air-conditioning and seat warmers).

In the race they are just typically driving many seconds off what the car can do, fastest lap in the race is 5 seconds off what is achieved in qualifying, quiet sure Danica can manage that. In qualifying she can be a Max Chilton, half a second behind generally with one or 2 surprises.

PlatinumZealot

Cuky wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Will Power would open some eyes with a decent car. The man can drive. Period.
We don't really need another Maldonado type driver in F1
You could not say it any better, this guy has no sense of space (to go 50:38:

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:I don't see why F1 is being regarded as so hard to compete. Probably at the moment it is the easiest car to drive of all with exception of LMP1 (which comes with Air-conditioning and seat warmers).

In the race they are just typically driving many seconds off what the car can do, fastest lap in the race is 5 seconds off what is achieved in qualifying, quiet sure Danica can manage that. In qualifying she can be a Max Chilton, half a second behind generally with one or 2 surprises.
I agree. I think Danica could prove to be better than Suzie. She would be around 3/4 second of the pace in Qauly but closer in the race. On the socio-commercial side it is a win win if she gets one of the Haas seats.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Moxie
Moxie

Manoah2u wrote:
small hurdle :lol:

can't get a superlicense,
too old to mean something,
zero european formula experience
zero european promotion interest/marketability
oh and don't forget; lack of talent

and for Danica herself

/kill racing career by being slow as f*** in F1 and get replaced after 6 races.
She has won a race in the Indy Car series. By that virtue alone she has the 40 points necessary to secure a superlicense.

"Too old to mean something." What does that even mean? If she can bring in the money, the team principal won't care if she is 85 years old.

Began her career in Formula Ford in the U.K.

Now you are just being silly. A beautiful woman racing in F1. No matter what nationality the woman may be, THAT'S MARKETABLE!!!

"Lack of Talent" Now that is downright funny. As many pay drivers that we have seen shuffle through the F1 ranks in the past several years, let's not pretend that talent really matters. For a fledgling team, all that matters is that they bring in money, and they don't wreck the car or put lives in danger. Now ,if we were talking about a seat at a team that actually pays the drivers, it would be a different story.

countersteer
countersteer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
You could not say it any better, this guy has no sense of space (to go 50:38:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPWwox ... .be&t=3038
I seem to recall Schumacher doing the exact same thing...

pob

Moxie wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

[Danica Patrick] can't get a superlicense,
She has won a race in the Indy Car series. By that virtue alone she has the 40 points necessary to secure a superlicense.
One race win is not enough because firstly it's done on championship position, winning the Indy Car championship gets you 40 points for the superlicence. Secondly, it's too long ago, the qualifying period is the last three years (2013-2015 for next year).

Moxie
Moxie

pob wrote:
Moxie wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

[Danica Patrick] can't get a superlicense,
One race win is not enough because firstly it's done on championship position, winning the Indy Car championship gets you 40 points for the superlicence. Secondly, it's too long ago, the qualifying period is the last three years (2013-2015 for next year).
Yep I made a mistake. :oops:

FW17

I still think FIA would let her race

Under exceptional circumstances Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members, and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometers of testing at racing speeds in a current car.

Radley
Radley

Mr. Haas said they wanted one driver with experience in the current cars, my pick would be Jenson Button. He's a good development driver and just about at the end of his career with McLaren.

Moxie
Moxie

Radley wrote:Mr. Haas said they wanted one driver with experience in the current cars, my pick would be Jenson Button. He's a good development driver and just about at the end of his career with McLaren.
I doubt Haas can afford Jenson Button, besides do you really think a WDC is really interested in driving for a new team that is bound to be a back marker? My money is on Gutierrez. Magnussen is a possibility, but my prediction for him is that he's holding out to see if Button is put out to pasture. Of course silly season may leave someone of interest stranded.

tuj
tuj

My suggestions for some American drivers:

Kurt Busch? Avg. NASCAR road course finish = 7th, weight 150lbs, 5’11”. He would fit in the car and bring sponsorship.

Jordan Taylor? I think the experience factor is overrated. How many of the drivers had driven before at COTA or Sochi when those tracks debuted?

Ryan Hunter-Reay, maybe a bit old but hey, so is Alonso… Reay actually has the Super License also...

How about Spencer Pigot? He rocked the F2000 and Pro Mazda series.

kooleracer
kooleracer

I'm pretty sure that Alexander Rossi is the young American driver that Gene Haas is talking about. The second driver will be on of the current Ferrari reserve drivers Vergne or Guti. If Vergne can make that Andretti Indycar deal happen he will take it, Vergne wants to win races and be competitive like he is now in FE. Guti would make more sense because of he is major Mexican backing and he has experience with Ferrari.

So Guti and Rossi is my educated guess as line-up for 2016 with Conor Daly as 3rd driver probably.

If I was team boss and I could sign 1 cheap driver and 1 experienced paid driver. I would go for Stoffel Vandoorne and JEV.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Moxie
Moxie

I left Rossi off of my list because I took the work "current" literally, and I don't think Rossi is currently working with any F1 teams. I must admit that I don't tend to follow the careers of test drivers very closely.

FW17

Rossi will not have a Super licence next year same as Danica.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Moxie wrote:I left Rossi off of my list because I took the work "current" literally, and I don't think Rossi is currently working with any F1 teams. I must admit that I don't tend to follow the careers of test drivers very closely.
I really don't think that Bernie would let the FIA block Rossi. An American driver in F1 is hugely important if F1 wants to grow in the States. Also the FIA super license has some wiggle room. I all teams agree that a particular driver has enough merit he is allowed to race. I'm sure all team bosses recognize the important of an American driver in F1.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."