Anyone else tired of hearing about cost?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Anyone else tired of hearing about cost?

thomin wrote:It has been my theory for a while that all the cost cutting measures are effectively hurting the chances of the small teams. The thing is, that the big teams will always have a big budget and they will spend it, no matter what. By clamping down on development like the engine freeze or spec parts, what happens is that small things become more important, particularly aero. And here, brute force trumps it all. A big team can test hundreds of aero configurations, changing the shape of one winglet in conjunction with a slightly different curvature on the bodywork, etc. The result could be seen in the past couple of years where the regulations were both tight and stable. While the overall difference in lap time between the front runners and the back markers was small by historic standards, the small teams were further than ever away from making an impact.

On the other hand, once you open up the rules, ingenuity becomes more important than brute force. A small team with smart people can outperform a big team again. This year is a good example for this. With the new engine formula, the teams did moan about the costs, but at the same time, the had to rethink many aspects of building a car, and low and behold, a small team like Force India is sticking it to the big guys, outperforming Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren. Sure, it won't last and with the regulations being as tight as they are and with ever more spec parts, they will fall back again sooner rather than later. Once everybody has settled into the new formula, brute force will once again triumph.

Therefore, I'm of the opinion that the best thing would be to completely open up the regulations once again. Throw out engine freezes, throw out spec parts or close to spec parts. Yes, that can make things expensive, but only for those who can't prioritize. A smart idea costs you nothing, but with the rules as they are, there's no room for smart ideas, everything is regulated.

At the end of the day, the costs are not determined by the rules, but only by the budget of the teams. Whatever they can gather, they will spend. The more we open up the regulations, the more things there are to spend that money on, the more room there is for failure as well as success. That would ultimately particularly benefit the smaller teams.
a romantic view, but utterly illogical.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dans79

FrukostScones wrote: a romantic view, but utterly illogical.
I have to say I completely disagree, I'd highly recommend you look up the law of diminishing returns. It's exactly was the currently restrictive rules are causing.
197 104 103 7

Jersey Tom

I'll say I think a lot of what's currently wrapped under the blanket of "cost control'" is BS, that's what I don't like hearing. And I don't like hearing about how important it is to make the racing "green" or "road relevant" because there isn't any need for it, nor has it ever been part of the sport.

Cost is certainly a real thing though. Probably don't want a hard budget cap, but probably also don't want it so the sport is so inaccessible that the size of the grid shrinks or it just becomes The Mercedes Show every week. I think there are ways to that - be it revenue sharing through media contracts and merchandise, or a "soft cap" luxury tax or what have you.

My opinion is that change is expensive - especially when it comes to people and man hours. The move to 2014 PU's I'm sure was very expensive from both a time and money standpoint. Allowing active suspensions I think would be very expensive. Going to bigger wheel / tire combinations would be very expensive. Going away from tire blankets could be expensive - certainly so for Pirelli.

So I don't see how an organization can say they're all for cost savings and all this and then throw huge changes at the series every year. Those changes are good every so often to mix things up, but too often I think is a bad thing - and the sport then just feels like "flavor of the week" or gimmicky, without a sense for what it is at its core.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dans79

and the plot thickens...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113484

I honestly wonder how much of the cost cap complaining, is just the smaller teams not liking the fact that they are considered less important to the sport. I like Todt's response, it's basically a "didn't you read the fine print" slap down.
197 104 103 7

TzeiTzei

dans79 wrote:I like Todt's response, it's basically a "didn't you read the fine print" slap down.
Like they had a choise?

dans79

TzeiTzei wrote:
dans79 wrote:I like Todt's response, it's basically a "didn't you read the fine print" slap down.
Like they had a choise?
Yea, they could have decided to not participate.
197 104 103 7