F1 Green Hypocrisy

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisM40

Re: F1 Green Hypocrisy

richard_leeds wrote:
ChrisM40 wrote: its about attracting money from manufacturers and 'sexing up' otherwise dull road hybrids.
Where's hypocrisy in that?

The have adopted fantastically complex engine, so tick in the box for saying F1 has the most complex technology. If anything the last few years with their relatively old engines have been hypocritical.

The technology that has been adopted happens to use words like turbo and hybrid get happen to suit manufacturers PR agenda. Another tick in the box.

The new engine firm is has attracted a new engine supplier. Another tick in the box.

It all seems rather straightforward to me. I suspect you are getting caught up on the word "green" and extrapolating it way beyond the scope of engines convert more fuel energy into propulsion.
The green is the hypocrisy, because its not green and never will be, the only green f1 is a non-existent F1, not that im campaigning for that in the least!

If it was just a popular opinion as to why they did it and not something F1 itself is claiming, it wouldnt be hypocritical of F1, but F1 itself is claiming it went hybrid to be green, thats the hypocrisy.

beelsebob

Okay, then now I understand how this thread came up. You simply misunderstand what hypocrisy means.

It's not hypocrisy, it's marketing. Hypocrisy would be the FIA saying "all racing series should be green", and then making no changes to F1. Changing F1 to be more fuel efficient, and then saying "this is more green" is simply exaggeration - it is more green, just not very much, or meaningfully.

ChrisM40

beelsebob wrote:Okay, then now I understand how this thread came up. You simply misunderstand what hypocrisy means.

It's not hypocrisy, it's marketing. Hypocrisy would be the FIA saying "all racing series should be green", and then making no changes to F1. Changing F1 to be more fuel efficient, and then saying "this is more green" is simply exaggeration - it is more green, just not very much, or meaningfully.
No it is hypocrisy when the teams, sponsors (often oil companies) and other hangers on still turn up in private jets and 7 litre hired Rollers and the cars themselves are not more green, but actually significantly less so, all while telling us to drive expensive dull hybrids which, again, are not even green!

Lycoming

ChrisM40 wrote: its not green and never will be, the only green f1 is a non-existent F1
You could say that about almost all modern human activity though.
beelsebob wrote:Changing F1 to be more fuel efficient, and then saying "this is more green" is simply exaggeration - it is more green, just not very much, or meaningfully.
Well, that's true if you look at it purely from the perspective of race fuel consumption.
ChrisM40 wrote: No it is hypocrisy when the teams, sponsors (often oil companies) and other hangers on still turn up in private jets and 7 litre hired Rollers and the cars themselves are not more green, but actually significantly less so, all while telling us to drive expensive dull hybrids which, again, are not even green!
Ok.

But what's your point? This thread doesn't really create discussion, at least not much that hasn't already been said. What is the purpose of this thread other than being a place for people to rant?

hollus

ChrisM40, you seem to be fixated on the point that right now, hybrids of 2014, are not really green. And I would be inclined to say that you are right.
You also seem to think (implicitly) that fully electric, in 2014, is not realistic. And you would be (just) right.
You also repeat that current electricity is, in 2014, generated largely from fossil fuel, and that is correct.

But then I would say that right now, in 2014, the global warming problem is a real but small one. No cities have been flooded, no crops have gone bust (up to 2014). So no need for green (in 2014).

The whole green discussion only makes sense if you try to think how bad it will get in 20-40-60-100 years. And by then, hopefully, long range non-toxic batteries should be realistic, and most electricity will not be produced from fossil fuels. Possibly anyways, but only if we invest in technology now(ish), and change the mentalities of people now(ish). And from that point of view, F1's green agenda would make sense(ish) even if it runs on a very, very black(ish) shade of green right now in 2014.

P.S. I think that this "green" agenda is 99% driven by marketing, BTW.
Rivals, not enemies.

flyboy2160

Well, I tried. Now that you've all had a say this time around, I'm locking this F1 Green II thread.

Edit from Turbof1: Shall we go for green 3?

The hooligans are for pickings sometimes over here...