Revealed: Formula 1's new cost-cutting plan

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Kiril Varbanov

Revealed: Formula 1's new cost-cutting plan

Ideal to fill in the gap to Spain. According to J. Noble and some 'leading figures' - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113705

Summary:

Tyre blanket ban
Fuel system simplification
Brake duct simplification
Front wing simplification
Gearbox usage flow brought in line with engine life
Increase in curfew
Ban on front and rear interconnected suspension

Standard front impact structure
Standard rear impact structure
Standard final drive system
Standard steering rack

FIA standard active suspension
Move to 18-inch wheel rims

Tim.Wright

Re: Revealed: Formula 1's new cost-cutting plan

This is not F1...
Not the engineer at Force India

Moxie

None of this will solve, or even make a dent, in the cost problem.

bhall

At what point can we say Formula One is dead without running the risk of such a statement being considered hyperbole?

Are we there yet?

heidenreich27

Wtf just make a cap

Thunder

Tbh most of it seems reasonable, but won't lower the costs much . Rich Teams will throw their Money on whatever Part they can develop freely.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Tim.Wright

Thunders wrote:Tbh most of it seems reasonable, but won't lower the costs much . Rich Teams will throw their Money on whatever Part they can develop freely.
Then how does it seem reasonable?
Not the engineer at Force India

Thunder

Tim.Wright wrote:
Then how does it seem reasonable?
The Changes on their own, not in perspective with cost cutting.
Sure it will make the small Teams' Live easier but the rich Teams won't spend 1 Cent less than before.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GitanesBlondes

I'm sure the fanboys with a memory that stretches back no further than perhaps the year 2000 will see nothing wrong with this proposed plan. Of course when one has no idea what the day-to-day life of a formula was when it wasn't trying to be spec series racing, YouTube videos don't quite convey how exciting those days were. In-season testing, simplified aerodynamics, engine development, real tires and on....those were the days.

None of the things listed are even reasonable. When I see "standard", it is a reminder of how once interested in taking risks on all fronts, the sport has become so averse to risks, that they are constantly amending the rules to ensure no one even gets any ideas of rocking the boat...unless of course a curiously worded rule is slipped in to give a team an unfair advantage that would make Roger Penske blush.

The F1 name needs to change to FH; Formula Homologation.

A pity, if I'm going to watch a spec series, I'll stick with the feeder open-wheel series, or IndyCar. At least they don't pretend to be something else, and the racing is far better than anything F1 has had to offer for years.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

j2004p

Spec series here we come!

astracrazy

This solves nothing. The teams will spend the same about, just on other things....

this is a plan to standardise f1, not save money. In what way is banning tyre blankets going to save money? it will cost more via R and D costs for the teams (suspension design) and the supplier to make the new unknown product.

What they don't seem to understand is the more they change things the more it costs because the teams have to start from scratch on x, y and z. Brake duct simplification will just mean the teams will spend more on wheel design for example and will prob cost more than what small adjustments to the brake ducts would of cost due to the advance stage they are already at with it.

turbof1

Standard front crash structure? That's a very cheap way of solving the finger noses.

No fric anymore? Some teams spend years to get it right. Banning it at this point will not lower costs: most costs about it has already been made!

Imo, I hope none of it gets passed. This is indeed starting to become GP1.
#AeroFrodo

astracrazy

turbof1 wrote:No fric anymore? Some teams spend years to get it right. Banning it at this point will not lower costs: most costs about it has already been made!
well that's half of my point. the teams spend years perfecting something and once they get there they ban it. So not only have the teams spent millions on that they will now spend millions on a new solution

Front wing simplification - Won't reduce costs, it will increase costs. The teams will be left with a hole in performance left from doing this so will spend more to make up for it

SiLo

Because a spec series is really going to help the "applicable to road car technology" cause. I don't think they necessarily need to cut costs by huge amounts, but maybe some of the money Bernie has been getting should be going back to the teams... Teams are the reason the sport is there, they should get the benefits. Increasing the money they are awarded from the huge profits the sports make would mean teams are "spending" less money.

If they keep making all these changes that will eventually make the sport slower we might see a better formula appear soon. LMP1 in a couple years anyone?
Felipe Baby!

Powershift

The teams and Bernie are killing the sport, I hope the FIA wakes up and stops them

OP forgot to add this important piece:
The ideas that are up for discussion during Thursday's meeting are:
so these are just ideas at this point.

Banning FRIC, and standard front & rear crash structures can definitely save the smaller teams money
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna